Seth McFarlane talks Family Guy movie

Headshot

Seth MacFarlane is out talking about doing a Family Guy movie again, and it sounds like it s closer to happening than ever. In fact, he makes it seem almost inevitable.

Talking to TV Week on the subject he says, We do want to do it and we will do it at some point. It s just time. We in the past 6 months started talking seriously about it. So my hope is that we ll get going in the next year. Doing the show is a seven day a week process and finding the time to squeeze in a movie is& I don t know how we re gonna do it but we ll figure it out.

Fans of the show have been clamoring for a feature film ever since we all were able shift our energy from clamoring for it to get uncancelled to something else. As for what the movie will be about when MacFarlane finally gets going on it, he says, I have an idea of what it s gonna be. It s definitely something that you could not do on the show, which to me is the only reason to do a movie. Family Guy without television censors? I m not sure whether to be elated or frightened.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v329/bameri/th_youmad.jpg'>

Guest Gritz

I really like Family Guy a lot but sometimes it goes too far.

Case in point: An episode a couple of years ago showed Elizabeth Smart playing an instrument. Her dad said "All of her songs are about rape."

Child rape?.....not funny and waaaaaaaaay over the **** line.

It's funny enough without having to resort to crap like that.

gritblitzer (7/17/2008)

Case in point: An episode a couple of years ago showed Elizabeth Smart playing an instrument. Her dad said "All of her songs are about rape."

Thats what they do though. They make really wrong jokes that nobody else will do.

That and they tell a joke and then purposely keep it going for about 45 seconds past when it is funny.

Guest Gritz
lax32 (7/17/2008)
gritblitzer (7/17/2008)

Thats what they do though. They make really wrong jokes that nobody else will do.

That and they tell a joke and then purposely keep it going for about 45 seconds past when it is funny.

I know that's what McFarlane does, but when I cringe instead of laugh than that particular moment fails for me.

gritblitzer (7/17/2008)

I agree, the show can be funny, but then they do something like that and it kinda kills the rest of the episode for me.

Family Guy can be one of the funniest shows out there, but I don't like all the heavy handed political nonsense. The same trap The Simpsons fell into, which helped to completely ruin their movie as well as their show for that matter. I no longer watch them at all for this reason, but in fairness The Simpsons were never as funny as Family Guy to begin with.

Guest Gritz
silentbob1272 (7/18/2008)
Family Guy can be one of the funniest shows out there, but I don't like all the heavy handed political nonsense. The same trap The Simpsons fell into, which helped to completely ruin their movie as well as their show for that matter. I no longer watch them at all for this reason, but in fairness The Simpsons were never as funny as Family Guy to begin with.
I really hesitate to get anything started here but didn't you see the entire Family Guy episode where Peter was hanging out with Bill Clinton? It was very unflattering to Clinton but it was extremely funny. I'm as liberal as they come and I thought it was hilarious.

gritblitzer (7/18/2008)
silentbob1272 (7/18/2008)
I really hesitate to get anything started here but didn't you see the entire Family Guy episode where Peter was hanging out with Bill Clinton? It was very unflattering to Clinton but it was extremely funny. I'm as liberal as they come and I thought it was hilarious.

Cracks at Bush, Clinton, etc are very funny and no problem at all with it. There was however a episode in which Stewie joins the Army due to a lying recruiter promising him a pistol, and also signs Brian up as well. The entire episode consisted of the reasons why no one in their right mind and with an IQ above 90 would ever choose to serve in the military, just an example, but this id more along the lines of what I'm talking about.

LMAO, I just saw the episode where the Quahog church thinks Stewie is possessed by Satan so they all run away to Texas. WHile there, Chris and Meg are trying to join a Young Republicans club or something and the initiation is to sneak onto the Crawford Ranch and steal a pair of Bush's underwear and bring it back so everyone can bask in its glory.

When they get to the ranch, Cheney is sleeping in a rocking chair on the porch with a shotgun in his hands and he's sleep talking-

"I'd like you to meet my daughter's husband, Michael."

I was literally in tears. He was mumbling it and it was just one of those subtle things that not a lot of people would pick up on.