Sam Baker and Michael Boley???

Panicman

I don't think anyone around Bakers draft slot has signed yet. Normally they will wait out to get fair market value, based on what the slot before and the slot after have signed. With TC coming up, expect most, if not all, first rounders to finally sign.

Boley signed his tender, but we are supposed to get him in long term this year.

LADBABY (7/17/2008)
Boley has also had a recent off field issue with very

negative overtones. He got "physical" with his wife.

It was not a good time to get drug in to jail in the

Falcons scheme of things. It may indeed hurt his value.

Only with us, that's why he'll wait until his contract is up and jump to the highest bidder.

Well, Baker is probably saying, since the third draft pick signed for X percent over last years number three pick, Baker should also be able to sign for that same percent over last years' pick in Bakers slot.  :D

Boley probably wants Lance Briggs money.  Boley will more than likely become the latest Falcon star who leaves the team and goes elsewhere, ending up in the Super Bowl.  Of course.

Maybe we can get a 3rd round pick for Boley, what do you think???

Petrino is NOT my hero (7/17/2008)
formul8or (7/17/2008)
I think Boley is the one that doesn't want to sign a new contract with us. He can get more money with someone else.

Who cares.. we will just franchise him then... hes gonna be here if he likes it or not for atleast 2 more years... he was a RFA this past year so we can still franchise him twice

We can franchise him if we're willing to pay him the average salary of the top 5 LB's in the league(Brooking will help with being the 2nd highest paid). Which then we might as well give him the money he wants.

miKevicK777 (7/17/2008)
Panicman (7/17/2008)
Does anyone know why we haven't signed Baker? Re-signed Boley to a contract extension?

there have only been three 1st rounders signed.

I feel like more than that have signed, but I can only think of 3. Jake Long, Matt Ryan, and I think DMC. But I feel like a later rounder must have signed.

sporkdevil (7/18/2008)
miKevicK777 (7/17/2008)
Panicman (7/17/2008)
Does anyone know why we haven't signed Baker? Re-signed Boley to a contract extension?

there have only been three 1st rounders signed.

I feel like more than that have signed, but I can only think of 3. Jake Long, Matt Ryan, and I think DMC. But I feel like a later rounder must have signed.

Flacco was signed too.

We can franchise him if we're willing to pay him the average salary of the top 5 LB's in the league(Brooking will help with being the 2nd highest paid). Which then we might as well give him the money he wants.

I don't think we'll have enough cap room to franchise him.

Ryan's cap hit will be MUCH bigger next year and Vick will probably still be on the books...  so I wouldn't be suprised to see Boley walk.... like Kerney.

Jedi-Falcon (7/18/2008)
They don't know for sure yet whether Baker will be LT or a RT, or even a Guard. And the salary difference between those positions is huge.

They took him in the first to be a LT. 

If they're not sure he can be an LT then we never should have taken him.

They're waiting to see what Boley does this season probably. He lost alot of leverage after his wife beating incident. I think they want to see improved play over last season and a marked dedicated to wanting to continue to improve and still be solid on this team.

It's smart on Atlanta's part to wait it out and see how he does. Especially with alot of young players on this team.

There is a delay in signing 1st rounders and 2d rounders with the demise of the CBA in 2011 making guarantees in contracts ending in that year 'unguaranteeable'. 

Article here:  http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dclayton_john

A loophole agents had been using to pay a one time bonus payable in the final year of a contract affected the rookie pool salary caps better.  They are awaiting a ruling from a Special Master about if the loophole can still be used and how it affects the rookie pool caps, since the final year of those contracts cannot be guaranteed in 2011.  This is delaying signing these picks.

Further proof we were very wise to wrap up most of our guys quickly so they can be in camp learning and getting better.

I'm sure that the Falcons' FO is working diligently to get Baker (and Lofton) signed up and ready for TC.  As for Boley, he's at least locked in for the upcoming season.  Maybe he can get a new contract by mid-season and keep him going as it's obvious he can become the leader of the LB corps here when Brooking steps down. 

miKevicK777 (7/17/2008)
Panicman (7/17/2008)
Does anyone know why we haven't signed Baker?  Re-signed Boley to a contract extension?

for baker, it takes a while to sign draft picks,  there have only been three 1st rounders signed.

for boley, hes probably waiting on a big offer

no theres 4 signed