Ben Sheets as a Brave.....

This was brought up by Buck and Kincade the other day to DOB and he shot it down. saying the BRaves wouldn't sign a FA pitcher over 30(Sheets will be 30 this month) b/c most of the time, they don't work out.

But anyway, the Braves(if Glav and Smoltz retire and w/Hampton not returning) will have $37 MIL of freed up $$$$$ (15 for Hampton, 14 for Smoltz, and 8 for Glav) to possibly go out and get Sheets or Sabathia or any other FA pitcher.

What do you guys think? I say it's worth a shot.

Discuss.

I wouldn't even think about giving Sheets a big contract. He's ALWAYS hurt. If I'm spending $20 million on a pitcher, I want him to take the mound every fifth day. With Sheets, that isn't probable.

Sabathia, on the other hand, has to keep his weight down. He's always going to be a big guy, but I don't want to see him eat himself out of the league.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd take Sabathia, but I'm not a fan of spending that much money on either guy.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in ATL, but not for $16-20 million per season...mainly because of his health issues...however, he eats up a lot of innings when he does pitch, and he's got outstanding stuff...This is a guy I wanted JS to trade for 5 years ago, and have been wanting every year since...I'm a little leary of him as a FA, becuase he's going to command a HUGE contract, but I have no doubt that he'd improve our rotation...if the Brewers continue to improve, I doubt that they'll let him get away...;)

It will definitely be interesting to see how the Braves spend the money they'll have in the off-season.  Nothing says they must spend it all, but what exactly is out there? 

Assuming the Braves avoid Ben Sheets and CC Sabathia, are there really any SPs on the market that would be much better than one of our young guys?  I don't really see anyone that stands out.  I'd much rather have Tommy Hanson, Charlie Morton, Jo-Jo Reyes, and Jair Jurrjens take their lumps together, rather than spending a lot of money on a "stop-gap" type of pitcher.

Aside from maybe a middle-reliever signing, the Braves obviously have no need to go after K-Rod and his $20+ million wishes.  I'd say the bullpen is pretty well set for the future.  Ohman won't be back with us, so that will have to be filled.  If everything goes well with Peter Moylan's elbow, we'll be getting him back at some point next season. 

Assuming we don't trade Tex, what will we do about 1B?  I see no one on the market that would be a good, long-term signing.  As much as I hate to say it, we may be looking at another "stop-gap" type of player to hold that position down until Freddie Freeman is ready.  By the way, Jason Heyward deservedly gets all the "pub," but his teammate Freeman is hitting .317/15 HRs/71 RBIs with a .923 OPS.  Oh, and he's only 18, as well.

I'd like to see Freeman and Heyward both skip Myrtle Beach, and go straight to Mississippi next season.  We could be looking at both of those guys joining the Braves late next season or more likely at the beginning of 2010.

The possibilities are endless, and it's hard to speculate so far away from the off-season.  I'd like to see the Braves spend this money wisely, and to me that means avoiding the high-priced, injury-prone pitcher like Ben Sheets.

I'd take Sheets or CC..  They both have the ability to shut down the opposing team and win on their own..  We'll have the money to spend i.e. Hampton, Tex, Glavine, Smoltz... If we could parlay one of them into CC or Sheets I'd take it... My only concern is of course Sheets inability to stay healthy and CC's ability to pitch 230 innings a year.. That's going to take it's toll eventually..

Scott24Falcons (7/17/2008)
It will definitely be interesting to see how the Braves spend the money they'll have in the off-season. Nothing says they must spend it all, but what exactly is out there?

Assuming the Braves avoid Ben Sheets and CC Sabathia, are there really any SPs on the market that would be much better than one of our young guys? I don't really see anyone that stands out. I'd much rather have Tommy Hanson, Charlie Morton, Jo-Jo Reyes, and Jair Jurrjens take their lumps together, rather than spending a lot of money on a "stop-gap" type of pitcher.

Aside from maybe a middle-reliever signing, the Braves obviously have no need to go after K-Rod and his $20+ million wishes. I'd say the bullpen is pretty well set for the future. Ohman won't be back with us, so that will have to be filled. If everything goes well with Peter Moylan's elbow, we'll be getting him back at some point next season.

Assuming we don't trade Tex, what will we do about 1B? I see no one on the market that would be a good, long-term signing. As much as I hate to say it, we may be looking at another "stop-gap" type of player to hold that position down until Freddie Freeman is ready. By the way, Jason Heyward deservedly gets all the "pub," but his teammate Freeman is hitting .317/15 HRs/71 RBIs with a .923 OPS. Oh, and he's only 18, as well.

I'd like to see Freeman and Heyward both skip Myrtle Beach, and go straight to Mississippi next season. We could be looking at both of those guys joining the Braves late next season or more likely at the beginning of 2010.

The possibilities are endless, and it's hard to speculate so far away from the off-season. I'd like to see the Braves spend this money wisely, and to me that means avoiding the high-priced, injury-prone pitcher like Ben Sheets.

i've seen freeman play a few times this season here in rome and have left very impressed. very solid defensively and could easily develop into an underrated gold glover (see laroache). he seems to have tremendous gap to gap power and can drive the crap out of the ball to the allies. doesn't have the shortest swing int he world, be he seems to have a nice compact one that's working out for him. i think i called it a couple of months back when smoltzie mad his rehab assignment here in rome that freeman would fly under the radar and for us to keep an eye on him. i'm sticking to that one.;)

here's a link to FA's at the end of the season

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html

from the looks of things, if we don't go after CC, we'll have to settle for at least a 30+ y/o SP if we have any hope of improving our starting rotation through FA. my persona opinion, forget Sheets as our first option b/c of his injury history and go after John Lackey, CC, Derek Lowe, and Sheets in that order. then low ball Mark Mulder to see if we could get a nice steal. John Garland wouldn't be a bad addition either.

except for Tex, the only other 1B i can see us pursuing is Sean Casey who would be a nice "stop gap" veteran.

i think it's safe to say that we'll actually only have about 26 million to play with since Chipper has an 8-11 million vesting option that i would assume we would pick up.

Ton80Kid (7/17/2008)
I wouldn't mind seeing him in ATL, but not for $16-20 million per season...mainly because of his health issues...however, he eats up a lot of innings when he does pitch, and he's got outstanding stuff...This is a guy I wanted JS to trade for 5 years ago, and have been wanting every year since...I'm a little leary of him as a FA, becuase he's going to command a HUGE contract, but I have no doubt that he'd improve our rotation...if the Brewers continue to improve, I doubt that they'll let him get away...;)
Brewers can't afford to sign both him and C.C. .;)

keithbrooking56 (7/18/2008)
I agree with Kobold King. The Braves have been a cheap organization for about a decade now, I see no reason to think this offseason will be any different. If they won't even keep Tex around why would they spend big bucks on anyone else?
The Braves have always been a frugal orgianzation. They will never dedicate a large-chunk of payroll on one player unless it's a pitcher or a player like Chipper, a true franchise player(And I'm sure McCann will be in that boat in a few years). They just don't work that way.

And they have a $102MIL payroll. But most of it is on the DL.

Jes sayin.

mookie6927 (7/18/2008)

from the looks of things, if we don't go after CC, we'll have to settle for at least a 30+ y/o SP if we have any hope of improving our starting rotation through FA. my persona opinion, forget Sheets as our first option b/c of his injury history and go after John Lackey, CC, Derek Lowe, and Sheets in that order. then low ball Mark Mulder to see if we could get a nice steal. John Garland wouldn't be a bad addition either.

except for Tex, the only other 1B i can see us pursuing is Sean Casey who would be a nice "stop gap" veteran.

i think it's safe to say that we'll actually only have about 26 million to play with since Chipper has an 8-11 million vesting option that i would assume we would pick up.

I'd bring Lowe in here in a heartbeat, I love him. Very underrated IMO. Lackey wouldn't be bad, either.

I would like MUlder but his recent injury history scares me off.

Casey would be a nice option until Heyward/Freeman is ready.  Good clubhouse guy, and he's a fellow Pittsburgh boy. ;) Can't go wrong there.

SteelerDawg6481 (7/18/2008)
mookie6927 (7/18/2008)

I'd bring Lowe in here in a heartbeat, I love him. Very underrated IMO. Lackey wouldn't be bad, either.

I would like MUlder but his recent injury history scares me off.

Casey would be a nice option until Heywardis ready. Good clubhouse guy, and he's a fellow Pittsburgh boy. ;) Can't go wrong there.

Lowe is very underrated. not the #1 that he was in Boston, but still a quality #2. he'll log the innings and keep you in the game.....he'd be a **** of a solid pick up.

the whole injury concern with Mulder is concerning, but that's why we low ball he **** out of him. since he's got an 11 million option with a 1.5 million buy out, offer him maybe 6-7 million over 2 years to see how he pans out......that'd be 3-3.5 a season.....not too shabby considering they caliber pitch he was when he was healthy.

Lackey has really developed into a potential #1. not the dominant Johan Santana type #1, but could easily be a #1 on 2/3-3/4 of the teams out there. he'll be a tremendous pick up for someone.

SteelerDawg6481 (7/18/2008)
ucsbdirtybird (7/18/2008)
Grow pitching in the farm system.

Sincerely,

Barry Zito

:laugh:

Seriously though, the pitching is in the system for the Braves. Most of it, except for Hanson(who is at AA), is in low A or rookie ball. So it'll be a couple of years. Hanson'll be in the rotation next year.

I just see guys like Matt Kane and Tim Linsicum (sp?), and even that Sanchez guy in SF making Barry look awful (which he does a fine job of on his own).  I can't help but think that there are always great young pitchers that come and go, but how many Aces over 30 are there for every guy who was touted as a great pitching talent.  I think it is much easier to buy a bat, albeit more expensive, than it is to buy a pitcher.

mookie6927 (7/18/2008)
Lowe is very underrated. not the #1 that he was in Boston, but still a quality #2. he'll log the innings and keep you in the game.....he'd be a **** of a solid pick up.

the whole injury concern with Mulder is concerning, but that's why we low ball he **** out of him. since he's got an 11 million option with a 1.5 million buy out, offer him maybe 6-7 million over 2 years to see how he pans out......that'd be 3-3.5 a season.....not too shabby considering they caliber pitch he was when he was healthy.

Lackey has really developed into a potential #1. not the dominant Johan Santana type #1, but could easily be a #1 on 2/3-3/4 of the teas out there. he'll be a tremendous pick up for someone.

Mulder is already 30+ as well.