Why does evryone think the falcons will be horrible...

Last years season was doomed before it even started: First off our "star" QB had other "things" going on!

Our head coach was a nightmare/ drill sargeant with no people skills....not to mention no coaching skills (did you watch any games last year?) none of our players even wanted to PLAY for the guy!

I am a firm beliver that coaching is very important at any level!  McKay and Blank just "dropped the ball" so to speak!

Now there are so many reasons to think that were headed in the right direction! 

First of all, it looks like we got ourselves a REAL GM...an experienced NFL coach who actually communicates with his players, and a solid staff behind him!

Ok we still need some important peices of the puzzle as in players but we are well on our way and I cant wait to kick off this season!!

just one more thing, watch out for Jamaal Anderson this year he is going to get the proper coaching that he didnt get this past season>>>>>>>just a possitive way to look at things for a change!

Im wearing my Matt Ryan jersey with pride cause I can only see good things from this franchise in the future and we got a winner in Ryan!

I'd think just because of our past drafts, youthfulness and a new head coach, we're definetly going to face growing pains.  It'd be a lie if I don't think we'll at least equal the number of wins as last year, but we are what we are:  A organization that's turning a new chapter with our highest-paid/highest-talented player who's not going to be in training camp.  Anyone else thinking 0-16 or 8-8 needs to look in the mirror and face reality.  I'll be cheering for my hometown team no matter what, but any more wins than 4 is just gravy. 

chuck277 (7/17/2008)
I'd think just because of our past drafts, youthfulness and a new head coach, we're definetly going to face growing pains.  It'd be a lie if I don't think we'll at least equal the number of wins as last year, but we are what we are:  A organization that's turning a new chapter with our highest-paid/highest-talented player who's not going to be in training camp.  Anyone else thinking 0-16 or 8-8 needs to look in the mirror and face reality.  I'll be cheering for my hometown team no matter what, but any more wins than 4 is just gravy. 

I agree, but the future looks good for us!  I can handle another rough year in the win column...but as long as we are competitive!

TeamPlayer (7/17/2008)
Don't be so hard on the media "experts". Their guess is just as good as ours!!

GO FALCONS!!!

what???are you serious. they are called experts for a reason. they are good. they said we were going to draft matt ryan and ding ding ding... look who we drafted. sal pal said vick would be in the dog house, and ding ding ding...we all know that situation.

crankthatbatman (7/17/2008)
TeamPlayer (7/17/2008)

GO FALCONS!!!

what???are you serious. they are called experts for a reason. they are good. they said we were going to draft matt ryan and ding ding ding... look who we drafted. sal pal said vick would be in the dog house, and ding ding ding...we all know that situation.

umm not all "experts" thought we were taking Ryan there were MANY who said we were taking Dorsey.

there are far far more examples of "experts" not knowing their ##### from a hole in the ground.

there were "experts" who thought Ryan Leaf was better then Manning.

there were "experts" that thought we would be ok without Jam when he got hurt.

There are "experts" that crown Carolina champions before the season even starts

There were "experts" who thought the saints would be the best team in the nfc last year..................................there are WAY more

because when you say horrible, youre making comparisons with other nfl teams. and you can say that the worst of the 32 is awful, but i dont think falcons are the worst. more like 4th worst, so the word "horrible" fits i guess.

so when you have a horrible team, you are expected to play horribly.

which isnt neccesarily the case. we might have a horrible team, but we can still find ways to win. you just take every game one at a time and if you try hard enough, you will find a way to win no matter how much better the other team may be. we might not be able to beat the patriots in a best out of 21 games, but we might be able to beat them once out of 21 which is all that matters since u only play a team once a season anyways. (whats that movie, where its about little leaguers football and the one team is terrible. and the coach pep talks the squad about being able to do something just ONE time.)

anyways, its not all about the talent level. and in order for falcons to win, they need to know what it takes to win, i hope coach smith does

houston-23 (7/17/2008)
Last years season was doomed before it even started: First off our "star" QB had other "things" going on!

Our head coach was a nightmare/ drill sargeant with no people skills....not to mention no coaching skills (did you watch any games last year?) none of our players even wanted to PLAY for the guy!

I am a firm beliver that coaching is very important at any level! McKay and Blank just "dropped the ball" so to speak!

First of all, it looks like we got ourselves a REAL GM...an experienced NFL coach who actually communicates with his players, and a solid staff behind him!

Ok we still need some important peices of the puzzle as in players but we are well on our way and I cant wait to kick off this season!!

just one more thing, watch out for Jamaal Anderson this year he is going to get the proper coaching that he didnt get this past season>>>>>>>just a possitive way to look at things for a change!

Im wearing my Matt Ryan jersey with pride cause I can only see good things from this franchise in the future and we got a winner in Ryan!

Right now, we have too many question marks about our OL and DL? How well they play, will determine how well the Falcons do. Right now I think I have more hope for our OL than our DL.

houston-23 (7/17/2008)

I am a firm beliver that coaching is very important at any level!  McKay and Blank just "dropped the ball" so to speak!

they have been horrible for the marority of the time since being in the league. real question is why is this regime the 1 thats gonna turn it around. many have come and gone and have not managed to make this a winning franchise. the ones that made a difference got fired shortly there after.

houston-23 (7/17/2008)
chuck277 (7/17/2008)

I agree, but the future looks good for us!  I can handle another rough year in the win column...but as long as we are competitive!

Last season, we were forced to watch a BAD football team play and lose with no direction... It didn't even appear we were at least building toward something...

This season will be the exact opposite.  Even if we do only win 4/5 games, I will be satisfied if see growth, effort and direction toward the future.  The early draft picks will/would only enhance what we have started.  Our young team would get another season under their belt...and then another...and eventually, a solid, well-coached veteran bunch will be had.

Lawyer Milloy said it best; last season was a waste.

But the future is bright.  We will be good next season.

Actually....the experts have the Falcons pegged imo. The over/under for wins is 5.

Last year...the Falcons won 4 games.

They lost D Hall and D williams.

They gained Elam and 2 first round players.

The remainder of the players gained and loss are of less consequence because they were injured last year and barely played or they are just rookies coming onto the team.

Coaching staff should be better.....schedule should be a little easier.

5-11...there you go.

BTW....the 1-15 predictions are coming from either "pot stirring" type of people or complete idiots.

I for one would gladly take the over if the Falcons win total was placed at 1.

Rodney (7/20/2008)
I AM A BELIEVER!!!!

9 - 7....Falcons go to the playoffs as a wildcard!!!!

***Sorry Duke, it is Redman that leads them there.

Well, we have kicking this year and that cost us about three or four games last year. We consistently found ne w ways to lose as well. If we compete for four quarters a week. we'll do ok. I don't know about nine games, but it could happen. We need to win early, for the young guys though.

I have been saying 10-6 all off season

1.  Better kicking game.  Now when we try for 3 at the + 35 the other team won't get good field position due to a miss.  3 points and a kickoff is better. 

2. A true NFL coaching staff.  This OC can call a game.  That means he can manage a game.  Keep it close and win in the end.  Some games we may blow out the other team but don't count on it.

3. OL is healthy!  Same OL that Dunn ran behind a couple of years ago.  Also we have blocking TE to help out on the run.  For the life of me I never understood why BP never put a TE on the L side to help out a undrafted rookie LT.

4. DL is better and they have a corp of LB that will make the plays.  I read in another article that this will be a LB happy defense.  There is a reason we are going cover 2. It is not the CBs we have.  Face it the Saints are the contenders at this moment and the cover 2 gives them fits.  Ask TB they beat them both games (with and without MCallister)

they have been horrible for the marority of the time since being in the league. real question is why is this regime the 1 thats gonna turn it around. many have come and gone and have not managed to make this a winning franchise. the ones that made a difference got fired shortly there after.

There is no reason why they shouldn't. Like every new regime anywhere, they start with a clean slate and will succeed or fail based on the decisions that they make. If the new FO and coachign staff do their jobs well, they will turn it around.

Rodney (7/20/2008)
I AM A BELIEVER!!!!

9 - 7....Falcons go to the playoffs as a wildcard!!!!

***Sorry Duke, it is Redman that leads them there.

I dont dislike redman.I just dont trust his game.He should be a backup.Spot duty at best.Your asking a lightweight to win a heavy weight fight.9 wins and smith would be coach of the year.

I seriously see us winning 7-9 games, if you look at the schedule. We play a weak NFC North division where only one team got significantly better Vikings. Not to mention that we play the Vikings next to last game of the year. If they have won the division by then we can sneak catch a team napping concerned about the playoffs. So let s say we win 2-3 games there. Not to mention that we play the Vikings next to last game of the year. If they have won the division by then we can sneak catch a team napping concerned about the playoffs.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Then there is the AFC West again only one real team in the division the Chargers, Is KC that great, I am picking the Broncos to win it all. When was the last time the Raiders been relevant? I wouldn t be surprise with 2-3 wins in that the division.

You can tell me that we will not win at least 2-3 games in our own division, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Carolina is not better than us. We can win a game against the Saints and Bucs.

Finally we play the Eagles and the Rams. Granted the Rams I expect to be much better now they have Long and Jackson (returning), but we are playing them at home and it is the last game of the year. Who KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 07

DET @ ATL

1-0

Sep 14

ATL @ TB

1-1

Sep 21

KC @ ATL

2-1

Sep 28

ATL @ CAR

2-2

Oct 05

ATL @ GB

3-2

Oct 12

CHI @ ATL

4-2

Bye

Oct 26

ATL @ PHI

4-3

Nov 02

ATL @ OAK

5-3

Nov 09

NO @ ATL

5-4

Nov 16

DEN @ ATL

6-4

Nov 23

CAR @ ATL

7-4

Nov 30

ATL @ SD

7-5

Dec 07

ATL @ NO

7-6

Dec 14

TB @ ATL

8-6

Dec 21

ATL @ MIN

8-7

Dec 28

STL @ ATL

8-8

TeamPlayer (7/17/2008)

GO FALCONS!!!

No. it's not.  They get paid to EVALUATE, not REGURGITATE.  In evaluation, they should see that last year, we had an unqualified coach and a tougher schedule, and still managed four wins.  This year, to say we'll win only one game when we have teams like the Raiders, Chiefs, Bears, Lions, and Rams on the schedule, not to mention our division (everyone always says you throw records out the window in divisional games), is irresponsible journalism at best.  The Raiders, Chiefs and Jets all had the same record as us last year, and they had nowhere near the internal problems we were having.  Granted, the Jets manned up and improved their team immensely, but the Chiefs did nothing except trade away their best DL and replace him with a rookie, as the Raiders also did nothing to improve themselves, and are still in the "Is Lane Kiffin REALLY the head coach??" stage.  The Lions have been worse than us historically, and have many of the same question marks as a team.  The Rams did nothing to improve themselves except draft a highly touted rookie; they even lost their All Pro reciever (Isaac Bruce); the Bears have an easy QB mess; they are on the downslide.  The Pack (who we play) will be in constant Favre-watch; he was their unquestioned LEADER; we have a better-than-average shot at beating them.  The Panties suck; we'll absolutely (at least) split with them.

Meanwhile, we have a new GM, Coaching staff, QB, RB, and have rid ourselves of the locker room distractions.

There...THAT'S EVALUATING!!!   9-7 Realistically

Bring It (7/17/2008)
Didn't you know ?

Experts know EVERYTHING.............even before it happens.

Especially about things they know ZERO about.

Some things never change.

It doesn't take an expert to know how turrible your team will be this year. The lack of talent on your roster is hilarious, you'll be lucky to win 4 games this year.