JOHN LENNON WAS BELIGERENT TOWARDS CHRISTIANITY

jjooee

octoslash (7/17/2008)
1. Lennon wasn't bragging when he said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus. He was talking about the band's popularity among teenagers.

2. He was right about that.

I don't know if rocknroll will outlast Christianity. Anything's possible.

At the time, he WAS right. More teens were listening to the Beatles than were attending Church. That's ONE of the reasons Christian folk were calling RR the "devils music" and "evil", because it was distracting teens from the Church.

octoslash (7/17/2008)
1.  Lennon wasn't bragging when he said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.   He was talking about the band's popularity among teenagers.

2.  He was right about that. 

I don't know if rocknroll will outlast Christianity.  Anything's possible.

I think peoples eternal destination matters a lot.

Your source is using half truths to appeal to your emotions.  Be careful with that sort of thing.  You can easily be lead down the wrong path. 

Lennon did say that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.  It made the headlines and Beatles' records were destroyed in public protests.  Those well-intentioned people did not bother to review the interview and the tone that John Lennon used.  The statement was quoted as a declaration of superiority.  Naturally, thousands of devoted Christians were outraged.   

The Beatles were the first and biggest super group in the world.  The PR machine grew too big and the attention was suffocating the boys.  They simply could not live anything close to a life.  John Lennon was complaining about it and used that statement to make a point.  People were literally idolizing them and he hated it.  By saying that the Bealtes were bigger than Jesus, he was pointing out that fans were getting carried away with their favorite music. 

Of course, preachers all across America, used the statement to shock their congregations.  It worked, church attendance increased temporarily and a lot of America's youth were jolted into readjusting their priorities.  Lennon repeatedly appologized for the misunderstanding.  He would later admit that the incident taught him about the relationship between celebrities and fans. 

Lennon never claimed that the Beatles would outlast Christianity.   

Headshot (7/17/2008)
I'm struggling to find a reason why this would either A) Matter, or B) Not be true.

Beatles > Jesus.

I think it matters because there are many people who have similar attitudes to John Lennon.

He wasn't the only one to think along those lines. Like I said, peoples eternal destinatiion matters a great deal.

jjooee (7/17/2008)
octoslash (7/17/2008)
1.  Lennon wasn't bragging when he said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.   He was talking about the band's popularity among teenagers.

I'm not saying otherwise.  I was just pointing out what I knew about Lennon's statement.  I don't stand one way or the other about peoples' religious preference.

jjooee (7/17/2008)

Maybe it does, to those who choose to believe in Christianity...but I think people are confused about why you started a thread in all caps, as if to point to something significant, only to say that John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus and that rock and roll would outlast Christianity.

Who cares?

Besides, Jesus already dealt with John Lennon.

octoslash (7/17/2008)
jjooee (7/17/2008)
octoslash (7/17/2008)

I'm not saying otherwise.  I was just pointing out what I knew about Lennon's statement.  I don't stand one way or the other about peoples' religious preference.

Would it make you feel better if I changed the title of this thread ??

I'll give you that, I could have put something else there.

Headshot (7/17/2008)
jjooee (7/17/2008)

Maybe it does, to those who choose to believe in Christianity...but I think people are confused about why you started a thread in all caps, as if to point to something significant, only to say that John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus and that rock and roll would outlast Christianity.

Who cares?

That's right.  Don't p### Jesus off or you'll get 5 slugs from a .38 in the back!

Headshot (7/17/2008)
jjooee (7/17/2008)

Who cares?

No, this MP3 just reminded me of it.

I remember seeing a clip where John said he didn't mean they were better than Jesus or what ever, and it was a stupid thing to say. In other words the Press took an off the cuff comment and ran with it..

As Dave Mustaine said, "The press that never rest just waits for somebody's soul they can eat"...

NCFalconfan (7/17/2008)
I remember seeing a clip where John said he didn't mean they were better than Jesus or what ever, and it was a stupid thing to say. In other words the Press took an off the cuff comment and ran with it..

As Dave Mustaine said, "The press that never rest just waits for somebody's soul they can eat"...

I remember reading John Lennon tried to find his spiritual life everywhere but through Christianity...India or some place.

jjooee (7/17/2008)
NCFalconfan (7/17/2008)

I remember reading John Lennon tried to find his spiritual life everywhere but through Christianity...India or some place.

Good for him, at least he found a spiritual life that made him happy. And really, that's all that matters, whatever makes you happy.

Headshot (7/17/2008)
jjooee (7/17/2008)
NCFalconfan (7/17/2008)

Good for him, at least he found a spiritual life that made him happy. And really, that's all that matters, whatever makes you happy.

Well, if He ended up where those 7 Columbian Youths said He ended up then I would say that didn't make him happy.

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time. I absolutely worship them (musically speaking only). By all accounts, Lennon was a bit of a jerk. He admitted that he was a violent man that had to fight himself not to act out. His son Julian once said in an interview that he wasn't a good father.....just sayin....

maverick68 (7/17/2008)
The Beatles are my favorite band of all time. I absolutely worship them (musically speaking only). By all accounts, Lennon was a bit of a jerk. He admitted that he was a violent man that had to fight himself not to act out. His son Julian once said in an interview that he wasn't a good father.....just sayin....

Well, when I listened to the MP3, it immediately came to my mind all the things John Lennon had said. He was belligerent towards Christianity.