Our three biggest weaknesses could be shored up

falconchef

LeCharles Bentley, Lito Sheppard (for Joe Horn and a sixth rounder), and Big Gravy...OL, DB, and DL.  I think that'd be a coup.  Yes, yes, I realize that we might not need them NOW, but that seems to me the best way to build a little quality depth at some questionable positions.

falconchef (7/17/2008)
LeCharles Bentley, Lito Sheppard (for Joe Horn and a sixth rounder), and Big Gravy...OL, DB, and DL. I think that'd be a coup. Yes, yes, I realize that we might not need them NOW, but that seems to me the best way to build a little quality depth at some questionable positions.

Bentley and Gravy is easy to get we just need to throw them some money.

Lito is gonna take alot more than that. We would need to give Horn + 3rd rnd pick if were lucky they would probably demand Horn + 2nd rnd pick.

FalconFan13 (7/17/2008)
falconchef (7/17/2008)
LeCharles Bentley, Lito Sheppard (for Joe Horn and a sixth rounder), and Big Gravy...OL, DB, and DL. I think that'd be a coup. Yes, yes, I realize that we might not need them NOW, but that seems to me the best way to build a little quality depth at some questionable positions.

Bentley and Gravy is easy to get we just need to throw them some money.

Lito is gonna take alot more than that. We would need to give Horn + 3rd rnd pick if were lucky they would probably demand Horn + 2nd rnd pick.

MAYBE YOU'RE PUTTING MORE VALUE ON HORN THAN HE'S WORTH. YOU WON'T GET THIS BY PHILLY'S FRONT OFFICE ....... THEY'RE GOING TO WANT MORE ... MUCH MORE!

Bentley would need to pass a physical. Grady would have to

weigh in and see where he is at. Shepherd will cost us in both

personnel/picks and salary. He too has injury problems. We are

in a position to get some younger guys further developed and

I like that direction better. Another thing is that once cuts start

to happen there will be guys coming available who will be tempting.

Once you commit on these guys you like, you are kind of stuck with

them. I say stand pat and watch the waiver wire.

LADBABY (7/17/2008)
Bentley would need to pass a physical. Grady would have to

weigh in and see where he is at. Shepherd will cost us in both

personnel/picks and salary. He too has injury problems. We are

in a position to get some younger guys further developed and

I like that direction better. Another thing is that once cuts start

to happen there will be guys coming available who will be tempting.

Once you commit on these guys you like, you are kind of stuck with

them. I say stand pat and watch the waiver wire.

I agree but one thing I've been thinking is, you want the guys from the second cut and that does not come until the end of pre-season. So they will have missed all of your camp and won't be any great help until about the 4 or 5 game of the season (it will take that long for them to learn the falcon system unless they come from a similar system).. So they would have to be much better athletes than someone who has gone through your camp and knows your system at game 1. Because of this, there is going to be a very limited number of choices out there.

falconchef (7/17/2008)
LeCharles Bentley, Lito Sheppard (for Joe Horn and a sixth rounder), and Big Gravy...OL, DB, and DL.  I think that'd be a coup.  Yes, yes, I realize that we might not need them NOW, but that seems to me the best way to build a little quality depth at some questionable positions.

my 3 are better...see my thread.

there is just no way that we will go after a guy like shepard because we will have to give up too much future for him.

In the cover-2 shell, the corners are not as "important" as safeties.  Across the league, you see teams that play a 2-deep zone go after agressive corners that can tackle really well and I think we have a few of those in Houston, Jackson, and Grimes.

We may get big Gravy, but I don't know for sure that we don't have guys who have his same skillset and talent. I think moorhead will hold down the spot and hopefully Trey Lewis will be back at somepoint this season, hopefully by the end of preseason, but we will see in a couple of weeks once camp gets into full swing.

we are not going to go after another veteran Olineman.  We are going young to build the line through the draft. we have 3 tackles, 3 centers, 3 guards, and 4 versatile linemen who can fill the bill. we will draft a center, tackle, and guard over the next 2 years.

We just have to face the facts that our needs will not be fixed this year.  WE will go to war with the soldiers that we have.  Our team has holes in it but we will be competitive with our scheduled teams.

falconchef (7/17/2008)

Well beside the crazy Joe Horn trade, the BIG GRAVY played for Smith last year. There is a reason why he is not on the team already..........................don't you think?

I dont really know if Jackson will be much better than Moore. We dont need more average DTs, we need a machine in there.

I would love to look at Bentley. He basically was released from CLE because they wouldnt make him the starter, and he didnt want to be a backup. Kind of have to give him props there, since he sacraficed ALOT of money in hopes of becoming a starter again.

I personally dont think Lito is worth the money or comp it will take. We have alot of young talent, and I am anxious to see how our DBs look come preseason.

So Bentley...would be all for an incentive based deal to play him at OG. Gravy, maybe as we progress into camps, but not right now. Sheppard, no thanks. I wouldnt be against seeing if we can bring Rod back for the minimum or something though.

Chaz J (7/17/2008)
Id rather draft and sign young guys and let them develop with ni risk than get injury prone people that take up too much salary room and get injured and have no impact.

Exactly...I would hope that we all would've learned from this mistake that our franchise has repeated over the years.

falconchef (7/17/2008)

LITO SHEPPARD FOR JOE HORN AND A SIXTH ROUNDER?

COWBOYS DONT WANT TO GIVE UP A SEVENTH ROUNDER FOR JOE HORN

so ur saying a 7th rounder(i would rather have a 7th rounder than to get horn for his overzealous contract and his skelaton body) and a 6th rounder for lito sheppard.

lito is a top 10 cornerback, no question, in the league.

joe horn is a top 75 WR with a big contract.

i dont even feel like elaborating , im sure the others will rip that comment sufficiently.

Lito Sheppard -- he want's 10 million/yr. like DHall got & has the attitude problem also.  Add to that his injury history and what the falcons would have to give up (players,draft picks) -- it just wouldn't work.  Would I like to have a CB with his skills? -- Yes, but not at that price.

Bentley -- I'm not sure what it would cost to get him, but his best years are behind him.  His best stint was at center with N.O. -- do you think the falcons want to bench McClure?  He could play guard, but we have more people competing for a job here than any other position.  We are thinner at OT, but I don't think he's ever played there.

Gravy Train -- he's probably laying on the sofa eating cheeseburgers

g-dawg (7/17/2008)
defensedefensedefense (7/17/2008)
Lito Sheppard for Joe Horn and a sixth!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

while we are at it why don't we trade Speedy Claxton and Salim Stoudemire from the Hawks to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant?:D

We didn't need him all we needed to do was play Salim but

he is gone now and I think he will go somewhere and play

lights out.

Football wise some people don't have a grasp of player values.

They also underestimate and insult our opponents intelligence.

If they were as dumb as all that we would dominate them.

is it sured up or shored up? anyway, lecharles bentley was arguably the best OC in the league before injury but he is the mike hampton of the NFL. mcclure is underappreciated, bentley if 100% would be a luxury, but is not a need per say. jackson was cut in favor of a 6th rd rookie and may not be of interest to a current regime that has publicly gone on record as opposed to "fat players". in his favor, he made plays, many in the back field, and played the rest of last season for our new HC. also NT, in most people's opinion, is the teams biggest need. lastly, shepherd would be a nice addition but aquiring him would probably be too costly in terms of compensation.