Mike Hampton

crumplin

Hampton tweaks groin in rehab start

Injury prone starter suffers another setback

By CARROLL ROGERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/16/08

Mike Hampton left his minor-league rehabilitation start with Class AA Mississippi on Wednesday night after only two innings, having tweaked his groin.

"He didn't want to take any chances with it," said Nick Skinner, PR director for the Mississippi Braves. "He said his arm felt great."

* N.L. Standings

* Braves: Schedule " Stats

* David O'Brien's beat blog

RELATED STORIES

* Hampton tweaks groin in rehab start

* Young arms throw Braves staff lifesaver

* McCann enters All-Star Game in time for decisive finale

" More Braves coverage

Hampton injured his groin during the first inning and gave up a solo home run in the second inning against the Carolina Mudcats. He walked one, struck out two and threw 29 pitches, including 15 for strikes.

Hampton was making the sixth start of this rehabilitation assignment, having already built up to as many as five innings. He has been aiming to return to action after the All-Star break from a strained pectoral muscle that has delayed his comeback by 3 1/2 months and counting.

Hampton, who hasn't pitched in a major-league game since August 2005 because of multiple elbow surgeries, injured his pectoral muscle warming up in the bullpen for his first scheduled start in early April.

JDaveG (7/17/2008)
Someone tell Mike Hampton we already paid his contract out.

You know, back when his name was Nick Esasky.

Actually, we're getting more bang for the buck with Hampton...Esasky only had one issue, Vertigo...Hampton's medical issues are now required reading for several different and unrelated fields of medical study...:P

Goodoleboy58 (7/17/2008)
where are the mike hampton apologists?

I don't know if I qualify as an apologist but I like Mike Hampton as a person. He has always struck me as one of the nicest men in sports. I hate seeing him break down so completely, but I've long since given up hope he'll ever make another meaningful contribution for the Braves. When he couldn't go after warming up in the bullpen at the start of the year, I knew it was over. His body language indicated he did as well.

twright21 (7/17/2008)
who had july 17 on the over/under?

i had April 19, May 3, June 12, July 3 & 4, August 12, and the whole months of September and October in my office pool

but I also parlayed him being healthy enough to pitch in the winter league so we can keep reading about his comeback

jidady (7/17/2008)
Goodoleboy58 (7/17/2008)
where are the mike hampton apologists?

I don't know if I qualify as an apologist but I like Mike Hampton as a person. He has always struck me as one of the nicest men in sports. I hate seeing him break down so completely, but I've long since given up hope he'll ever make another meaningful contribution for the Braves. When he couldn't go after warming up in the bullpen at the start of the year, I knew it was over. His body language indicated he did as well.

not to mention he hasn't even had to stress his body in a major league game..  if you cant warm up in the bullpen then you'll never be able to reach back for that extra effort in a real game

SteelerDawg6481 (7/17/2008)
Thing is though, even if the BRaves were to outright cut him, they'd still be paying his contract through the end of the season. After that it's off the books, thankfully.

Thus is the wonder of guranteed contracts in baseball.

Not to mention there were two teams still paying part of his contract that he hasn't pitched for in half a dozen years...