Will the Falcons Ever Have a Die-Hard Fanbase?

formul8or

Obviously we are die hard fans or we wouldn't post about them on a message board. But even if Atlanta became a consistent winner do you think more 'fans' would stick around through thick and thin instead of jumping back over to UGA each year?

I mean even the Braves couldn't consistently sell out, even playoff games, even though they were division winners 14 years in a row.

Is Atlanta too much of a bandwagon town to ever become die hard fans?

formul8or (7/16/2008)
Obviously we are die hard fans or we wouldn't post about them on a message board. But even if Atlanta became a consistent winner do you think more 'fans' would stick around through thick and thin instead of jumping back over to UGA each year?

I mean even the Braves couldn't consistently sell out, even playoff games, even though they were division winners 14 years in a row.

One thing about Atlanta is that it's a melting pot. There are people from everywhere else on the planet living in the area. That's no excuse though. I think the fans that support the teams every year, no matter what are the only ones that count. I support my teams through thick and thin. I take a lot of crap for it too. But I dish it out when I get a chance as well. On the field, winning is everything (or the only thing). However, as a fan, we'd like some entertainment value...and winning. If we could consistently put up a good fight and be competititve...we could get more bandwagoneers. But as far as die hards are concerned...we are few but mighty!!!:D

Oh, please!  Take Indianapolis for an example.  Is Indy a bandwagon town?  If not, then please explain to me how I was able to buy two tickets from the Colts ticket office for the 2003 Falcons-Colts game that were on the 40 yard line?  This was in Payton Manning s SIXTH season with the Colts.  The Colts finally started to win with Manning in that season, so the RCA Dome was packed by the December date.  But that I was able to buy tickets from the Colts office at face almost midfield illustrates the undying loyalty of the Colts fans.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Look the fans of any team only support winners or at least perceived winners.  Atlanta is hardly unique in the fickleness of its fans.  I am going to the Falcons-Chargers game this 2008 season with tickets I purchased a less than face.  And the Chargers this season are projected to be a Super Bowl contender! 

Let the Falcons string together a few seasons of dominance and you might be amazed at how many lifelong fans will come out of the woodwork.  When a team goes into a slump, fans of some teams might faithfully renew their season tickets, but peruse eBay or Ticket Stub and see how many are for sale.

ANYTHINGS POSIBLE. AS FANS WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE AS GREAT AS WE WANT TO BE. IRREGARDLESS OF THE PRESENT SITUATION OF THE TEAM. THE 49ers WERE ONCE A DYNASTY. I WONDER HOW THEIR FAN BASE IS DOING NOW (I have no idea). DYNASTIES BEGIN ONLY TO END SOMEDAY. I POINT TO THE BROWNS, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR RECORD THEY COME TO THE GAMES AND CHEER FOR THEIR TEAM. THEY ARE LOYAL TO THE TEAM ...... NOT CERTAIN PLAYERS. THAT'S WHAT MAKES THEM "DIE-HARD" BROWNS FANS.

Dirty,

I agree with you! Many fans have split their team loyalties, the first love may not be the Falcons. That said, everyone loves a winner.

I am a Falcons fan since day one, I live in Florida and even though I have 3 FL NFL teams, I have one thing to say:

GO FALCONS!!! 

The Falcons could go 0 and 16 and I would be proud to support them.

Its a Falcon thing!

Falcons forever!!!  The **** with the rest!   

Ol Dirty... That is an awesome shirt!  William Andrews was headed for Greatness. I have games on tape back to the Washigton game 11 / 30 / 1980 in Atlanta. I watch old games all the time.....but in this game he makes a run in the fourth quarter to seal the game, carrying about 4 skins with him. It might be the best run I have ever seen from a Falcon.....God he was Huge!!! And was as friendly as any player you could meet....

VTCrunkler (7/17/2008)
its times like now for the truly diehards stick to their team. i agree with another poster that once we start winning we'll see the "lifelong' fans come out the woodwork.

I HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING "VT." BUT IF THEY WERE REALLY LIFELONG FANS ..... WHY DID THEY GO INTO THE WOODWORK IN THE FIRST PLACE? TO BE A DIE-HARD FAN, YOU MUST TAKE THE BITTER WITH THE SWEET. THE WORD "DIE-HARD" MEANS IT'S VIRTUALLY IMPOSIBLE TO KILL YOU OFF, IMPOSIBLE TO KILL YOUR SPIRIT FOR YOUR TEAM, IMPOSIBLE TO LOSE HOPE, IMPOSIBLE TO EVEN HAVE THE WORD QUIT IN YOUR VOCABULARY, THE THOUGHT OF GIVING UP ON YOUR TEAM IS AN IMPOSIBILITY WITHIN ITSELF. WE NEED SOME "DIE-HARD'S.":)

formul8or (7/16/2008)

I used to think that as well, and while it's true to a degree...Atlanta gets a bad reputation. When teams lose like Atlanta teams have lost for the most part...fans don't show up. My vision of this was skewed b/c I live in the DC area and the Redskins have what I would argue the most loyal fan base in all of pro sports. One of them anyway...that's why Daniel Snyder does so many ridiculous things...he knows they aren't going anywhere. One of my co-workers said he wished that in ways they were more like Falcons fans b/c then it might reign Snyder in. Celtics fans weren't packing the arena last year when they sucked...Lakers fans jumped ship when they were barely making the playoffs after Shaq was dealt...Rams fans have disappeared again...Saints fans weren't packing the dome a few years back...and the list goes on. I'm not saying we don't need to do a better job as a whole...but we catch too much heat for doing what most fanbases do when your team has only made the playoffs twice in the last 10 years.

FalconFansince80 (7/17/2008)
Check out Burt sportin the Falcons hat back in '76. Now thats die hard.

002569_7.jpg

That's a GREAT picture. I just teared up little. My dad had a Bandit replica Trans-Am in '79. Took it to Fulton County Stadium to a game, if only I had a Pabst Blue Ribbon right now.

I don't think the Falcons will ever receive the diehard support that UGA gets, simply because they are looked down on by UGA fans.  UGA has a winning pedigree, whereas the Falcons do not.  Now if the Falcons could turn their fortunes around and switch to a proven winner, then maybe

you must remember that people growing up falcons fans came up at different stages of the Franchise. when i think of die hard lifelong fans, i think of people older than 35, who may have came a falcon fan in the late 60's to 80s'. but the youngsters comin up now who have grown up on the falcons (they too would be technically life long fans), have only the late 90s to present to go on. what im saying is there are different ways or reasons to get into the woodwork.

when i said 'lifelong" i was talking bout the bandwagoneers who once we started winning will come out and claim that they were fans all along. its times like now and last year that truly die hards show out the most. above all people just want a winner.

REV.2000 (7/17/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/17/2008)
its times like now for the truly diehards stick to their team. i agree with another poster that once we start winning we'll see the "lifelong' fans come out the woodwork.

I HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING "VT." BUT IFTHEY WEREREALLY LIFELONG FANS ..... WHY DID THEY GO INTO THE WOODWORK IN THE FIRST PLACE? TO BE A DIE-HARD FAN, YOU MUST TAKE THE BITTER WITH THE SWEET. THE WORD "DIE-HARD" MEANS IT'S VIRTUALLY IMPOSIBLE TO KILL YOU OFF, IMPOSIBLE TO KILL YOUR SPIRIT FOR YOUR TEAM, IMPOSIBLE TO LOSE HOPE, IMPOSIBLE TO EVEN HAVE THE WORD QUIT IN YOUR VOCABULARY, THE THOUGHT OF GIVING UP ON YOUR TEAM IS AN IMPOSIBILITY WITHIN ITSELF. WE NEED SOME "DIE-HARD'S.":)

i never understood why uga fans arent by default atlanta falcons fans.

do you really think uga fan look down on the falcons?

if uga is such a big draw, why dont the falcons draft more high-profile/draft picks from uga merely to get interest up?

Magic Man (7/17/2008)
I don't think the Falcons will ever receive the diehard support that UGA gets, simply because they are looked down on by UGA fans. UGA has a winning pedigree, whereas the Falcons do not. Now if the Falcons could turn their fortunes around and switch to a proven winner, then maybe

formul8or (7/16/2008)

How old are you?We have had die hard fans even before (gasp) the message board.The braves didnt sell out some standing room only in the 1st round doesnt mean there arent sports fans.Dont blame the product on the consumer.

> How old are you? We have had die hard fans even before (gasp) the message board.

> The braves didnt sell out some standing room only in the 1st round doesnt mean there

> arent sports fans. Dont blame the product on the consumer.

Thanks Duke! You're right. Those of us that have attended Braves games when nobody

else would (I'm talking about the 1970's), and the Falcons lovely 3 win seasons... We're

lucky we have any sports fans in Atlanta at all, based on historic product.

However, to the message poster, Atlanta is a transition town. It has very little blue

collar hard-core Atlantan's, as compared to something like Pittsburgh or Green Bay.

For that matter, many of the few hard core natives have left or are leaving the area.

You'll never see a hard core base like some of the other NFL teams have...

gritsnsausage (7/17/2008)
> How old are you? We have had die hard fans even before (gasp) the message board.

> The braves didnt sell out some standing room only in the 1st round doesnt mean there

> arent sports fans. Dont blame the product on the consumer.

Thanks Duke! You're right. Those of us that have attended Braves games when nobody

else would (I'm talking about the 1970's), and the Falcons lovely 3 win seasons... We're

lucky we have any sports fans in Atlanta at all, based on historic product.

However, to the message poster, Atlanta is a transition town. It has very little blue

collar hard-core Atlantan's, as compared to something like Pittsburgh or Green Bay.

For that matter, many of the few hard core natives have left or are leaving the area.

You'll never see a hard core base like some of the other NFL teams have...

Oh...jeez...I remember.  I lived near Atlanta Fulton Co. Stadium in the terrible days when the Falcons and the Braves shared the stadium.  Those were some rough days....:pinch:

I believe most of the Falcons fans that watch them through the thick and thin live outside of Atlanta.  Especially the rural towns in GA.  Most everybody there are Falcons fans (90% or more) but generally lives to far away to consistently make it to the games.  but even though you don't see it in attendance, they are still watching and paying attention.

southga08 (7/17/2008)
I believe most of the Falcons fans that watch them through the thick and thin live outside of Atlanta.  Especially the rural towns in GA.  Most everybody there are Falcons fans (90% or more) but generally lives to far away to consistently make it to the games.  but even though you don't see it in attendance, they are still watching and paying attention.

I still think you'd be surprised at the number of inner city "old school" Falcon Fans that would NEVER root for another NFL team.  :)