NAACP Urges Film Boycott For South Carolina

judas yeast

What a bunch of clowns. Glad to see they're focusing on the big picture! :rolleyes:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/807160365

Confederate flag spurs call for filming boycott

NAACP asks Hollywood to avoid state, but lawmaker says matter closed

The NAACP has targeted South Carolina's film industry as an economic pressure point to force the removal of the Confederate flag from the Statehouse grounds, but a top legislative leader said Tuesday the 2000 compromise won't be reopened.

Lonnie Randolph, state NAACP president, told The Greenville News the organization has asked representatives of the motion picture industry to join in its economic sanctions against the state until the flag is removed.

He said NAACP officials met with actors, actresses and other representatives of the industry last weekend to "get their input and their support in helping with this cause."

Randolph said the responses from representatives of the industry have been "very positive." He didn't identify the participants or the location of the meeting.

State Sen. Glenn McConnell, R-Charleston, the Senate president pro tempore, told The News there is "no driving emotion (in the Legislature) that I know of to reopen" the 2000 compromise that moved the flag from the Statehouse dome.

However, state Rep. Leon Howard, D-Columbia, chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus, said, "It's on the minds of a lot of lawmakers. We don't think (the flag) should be there."

Meanwhile, Gov. Mark Sanford said Tuesday he has no plans to get involved in the issue.

"Everybody has a different perspective. It is a deeply dividing and complex issue that we're not going to try and open and re-examine. Somebody is going to have to place a tremendous amount of political capital to pry open a compromise. This administration is not going to be doing that," he said.

The square, silk battle flag now flies on a pole near the Confederate Soldiers' Monument at the front of the Statehouse near a busy Columbia intersection. Its location was the result of heated debate and eventual legislative compromise in 2000 to remove the banner from the Statehouse dome where it had flown since the 1960s.

The NAACP rejected the compromise and has maintained a tourism boycott of the state.

The NAACP rejected any compromise that would leave the flag on public property, although most members of the Legislative Black Caucus agreed to it as the best deal they could get. An estimated 46,000 people marched in Columbia on Martin Luther King Day in 2000 to demand the flag's removal from state property.

McConnell said that with the compromise and new concerns arising since then, "The mainstream has moved on."

He said it would take a two-thirds vote of the 46 senators to change the 8-year-old legislation "and we can barely get two-thirds on when to go to lunch."

Asked about the possibility of an NAACP-inspired Hollywood boycott of filmmaking in the state, McConnell said that "to inflict economic harm in hard times ... is mean-spirited."

Randolph denied the sanction being sought is "mean-spirited."

"Our history has never been mean," he said. "We don't do mean things. We don't have a Confederate approach to solving problems. The NAACP is a civil rights and human rights organization.

"Never have we bombed, murdered, killed, or maimed anybody. Never held anybody hostage on a plantation. In 100 years, this organization has a history of promoting democracy for all human beings."

House Speaker Bobby Harrell, R-Charleston, wasn't available for comment.

Sanford told reporters he knows the flag issue is a meaningful one for the NAACP, but he said he has other priorities for the balance of his administration.

The governor said he wants to "focus on things we think will have a big difference" in the remaining 30 months of his final term.

Howard called Sanford's comments "unfortunate." "I think the governor's comments are unreasonable," he said. "That's through the eyes of a very wealthy Caucasian male. He can't see it the way African-Americans see it."

Randolph said, "Symbolism in South Carolina is realism," adding that the state has a white supremacist past and "we still have deep pockets of that in South Carolina today."

He said the state's Constitution represents a white supremacist point of view.

"The way we educate our children in South Carolina is a white supremacist educational approach," he said. "The way we pay people in South Carolina is a white supremacist approach .... Others need to see South Carolina as a place that says we respect all people."

State officials said Monday that tourism has steadily increased since 2000, and McConnell described the boycott's impact as no more than a "burp in a whirlwind."

Dozens of movies and made-for-television films have been done in whole or in part in South Carolina, from "Deliverance" in 1972 along the Chattooga River and Lake Jocassee to "The Big Chill" in Beaufort in 1983 to "Leatherheads" in Greenville and Anderson last year.

Marion Edmonds, spokesman for the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, said the economic impact of filmmaking in South Carolina could be "tens of millions of dollars" in a given year.

But Edmonds couldn't provide specifics. Because the state Film Commission completed its legislatively mandated transfer to PRT from the Department of Commerce only two weeks ago, a yardstick for measuring the fiscal impact has yet to be developed, he said.

Donna Reeves, spokeswoman for the 120,000-member Screen Actors Guild, said she had no knowledge of NAACP-Hollywood discussions or whether SAG might become involved.

SAG members work in motion pictures, television, commercials, industrials, video games, Internet and all new media formats, according to its Web site.

kicker23 (7/17/2008)
The NAACP can go ##### itself.  The flag is flying at the Confederate Soldier Monument in Columbia.  What's next, tear down the monument?  #####em. 

That actually is something I expect to see our liberal friends try to do at some point in our lifetime as their liberal white guilt will need new targets to focus on.

kicker23 (7/17/2008)
The NAACP can go ##### itself.  The flag is flying at the Confederate Soldier Monument in Columbia.  What's next, tear down the monument?  #####em. 

I do agree with what the NAACP is doing here, even though I believe that they need to extend their focus on bigger issues.

It's perfectly okay for that flag to fly at historical monuments and such, but its not okay to fly it on federal and state buildings.

Statick (7/17/2008)
kicker23 (7/17/2008)

I do agree with what the NAACP is doing here, even though I believe that they need to extend their focus on bigger issues.

It's perfectly okay for that flag to fly at historical monuments and such, but its not okay to fly it on federal and state buildings.

It is not flying on a federal or state building.  It is flying on the Confederate Soldier's Monument.  The monument is on state owned grounds.

kicker23 (7/17/2008)
Statick (7/17/2008)
kicker23 (7/17/2008)

It is not flying on a federal or state building.  It is flying on the Confederate Soldier's Monument.  The monument is on state owned grounds.

Then the NAACP should sit down and STFU.

I've never understood "southern pride."

The concept is wholely ******** to me, and the type of thinking that I thought would have long ago evaporated from the general public of the south and left to linger only in the trailer parks and Nascar crowds.

Northern people do not walk around talking about Northern pride or how "The North will stay risen forever" or causing an outcry over a flag. When the **** do you grow up at some point and say wow, regional pride is incredibly stupid. How about taking pride in just being an American, and leaving the directional affiliation out of it.

Because, there's not much pride to be had in having "Southern pride." You #####ing lost, and had your slaves taken away. Time to move on JimBob.

Headshot (7/17/2008)

The concept is wholely ******** to me, and the type of thinking that I thought would have long ago evaporated from the general public of the south and left to linger only in the trailer parks and Nascar crowds.

Northern people do not walk around talking about Northern pride or how "The North will stay risen forever" or causing an outcry over a flag. When the **** do you grow up at some point and say wow, regional pride is incredibly stupid. How about taking pride in just being an American, and leaving the directional affiliation out of it.

Because, there's not much pride to be had in having "Southern pride." You #####ing lost, and had your slaves taken away. Time to move on JimBob.

Really?  I live in Illinois, you might know of it as:

LAND OF LINCOLN.

Now why do you think it's called that?  Was Lincoln really that great?  If the North had lost, would he be idolized like he is? 

I underatand Southern pride.  Much of it has to do with being the brunt of jokes all around the country.  When people are ridiculed, they grow closer.  That has been going on since the South seceeded in 1861.  Never mind they had every right to do so, similarly to what the 13 colonies did in 1776. 

kicker23 (7/17/2008)
Headshot (7/17/2008)

LAND OF LINCOLN.

Now why do you think it's called that?  Was Lincoln really that great?  If the North had lost, would he be idolized like he is? 

I underatand Southern pride.  Much of it has to do with being the brunt of jokes all around the country.  When people are ridiculed, they grow closer.  That has been going on since the South seceeded in 1861.  Never mind they had every right to do so, similarly to what the 13 colonies did in 1776. 

OMG...

And you people wonder why you're the butt of so many jokes.

Statick (7/17/2008)
kicker23 (7/17/2008)
Headshot (7/17/2008)

LAND OF LINCOLN.

OMG...

And you people wonder why you're the butt of so many jokes.

Inform us, o enlightened one. Lincoln was a doosh bag. 

Lincoln was a war criminal that pizzed on the constitution.

Some of you may not remember but the flag did fly over the statehouse for many years. The flag was moved from atop the statehouse and to the confederate memorial as a compromise a few years back. The NAACP didn't accept the compromise and has attempted to strong arm the state ever since with a boycott.

First off, if you think the War in 1861 was solely over slavery you are severly misinformed on the subject.

Second, if you don't think the good ole' Star and Stripes don't have equal if not more slave's blood on it then you need to read up. The slave trade began in the north-particularly in Newport, RI and grew from there. A Portuguese Jewish immigrant named Aaron Lopez from Newport was THE slave trader of the day-solely responsible for hundreds of thousands of slaves being brought to US shores (not to mention hundreds of thousands of deaths along the way over too). In fact, it was Virginia who first brought up the idea of outlawing the slave trade in the late 1700's, this pizzed off the Northeastern slave trading states so much that THEY threatened secession looong before the South ever did. After all the slave trade was a huge factor in the wealth the NE has built up.

NCFalconfan (7/17/2008)
First off, if you think the War in 1861 was solely over slavery you are severly misinformed on the subject.

Second, if you don't think the good ole' Star and Stripes don't have equal if not more slave's blood on it then you need to read up. The slave trade began in the north-particularly in Newport, RI and grew from there. A Portuguese Jewish immigrant named Aaron Lopez from Newport was THE slave trader of the day-solely responsible for hundreds of thousands of slaves being brought to US shores (not to mention hundreds of thousands of deaths along the way over too). In fact, it was Virginia who first brought up the idea of outlawing the slave trade in the late 1700's, this pizzed off the Northeastern slave trading states so much that THEY threatened secession looong before the South ever did. After all the slave trade was a huge factor in the wealth the NE has built up.

Great well informed post! It's amazing to me how many people have the facts wrong.

Headshot (7/17/2008)

lol the ignorance runs deep in this one. I like how you are not only misinformed you want to play thought police with other people.

Headshot (7/17/2008)

:laugh: QFT.

but I do agree the NAACP are clownshoes nowadays.

NCFalconfan (7/17/2008)

I made a statement the other day as to why the KKK hates Jews. After reading about this Lopez character, I think I may understand how that mindset must have come about. He was Jewish.

They probably blame him for us being here.