I think a maximum of $2.5 mil a year for your rookie contract (4 years maximum rookie length), no guarnt'd money because they have not proven a single thing in the NFL yet.

I don't see how people are ok with a system in which a rookie who has not taken a live snap gets more than someone who has played and been productive for 5 years.

HuskerFalcon (7/16/2008)
i think they should only be aloud to play a rookie at the most 5M a year as the highest(for the #1 overall pick) then go down every idk 50k? 100k? every pick...

i say have a fixed salary, BUT i like your Idea also.

Fixed 3-4yr Salary of mayb 5mil per year for every pick 1-15, and 4mil per year for every pick 16-31, then 3mil for 1st half of the 2nd pick, then 2mil for 2nd half. 3rd 1st half is 1mil, and Vet Min for every1 else.

THE OWNERS ARE THE ONES WHO MESSED UP THE WHOLE THING IN THE FIRST PLACE. THEY DID THE SAME THING WITH THE FREE AGENTS. THEY GET IN THEIR MEETINGS AND TALK ABOUT KEEPING SIGNINGS AT A NORMAL LEVEL. THEN THEY GO BACK TO THEIR CITIES AND OPEN THE BANK VAULT DOORS TO THE ROOKIES AND FREE AGENTS. AND I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF FORMULA YOU COME UP WITH ..... THE OWNERS WILL FIND A WAY TO MESS IT UP. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS IN THE YEARS TO COME.

This is my idea, i dont care if u find it stupid.

EVERY rookie plays for minimum for their first year. they get performance incentives. and the 2nd year is when they sign their long term deals.

one year in the nfl (16 games and training camp) i think is more than adequate time to assess what the player is worth + to see their star potential or bust potential.

miKevicK777 (7/17/2008)
This is my idea, i dont care if u find it stupid.

EVERY rookie plays for minimum for their first year. they get performance incentives. and the 2nd year is when they sign their long term deals.

one year in the nfl (16 games and training camp) i think is more than adequate time to assess what the player is worth + to see their star potential or bust potential.

this might result in alot of holdouts from players drafted in the earlier rounds that did not perform so good. thats the big problem i see with it. but regardless, they WILL get paid less than what they would have if they signed it before they even played a down in the nfl.

I don't think that there should be a rookie cap. However, I do believe that the Salary Cap should not be increased in such proportions that it is. Instead let a system of checks and balances equal out a rook's pay.

If there was a fixed cap around 100 Mil.(with slight increases yearly) The pay would even out. If someone went crazy spending on their young kids, they would be in a lot of trouble finacially. The rookies aren't the problem, the whole cap is.

the only result would be that at the end of the salary limitations the players would demand even bigger contracts than now because "they are proven" and they "need to re-coop lost wages" so you start seeing more $100M asked for when the long term contract is signed.

The only thing gained would be that the "bust" players wouldn't get that big up front money.

The owners want the limits so they can be more LAZY in selecting their players. Now so much money is involved it hurt bad when you make a mistake. So you have to work hard to avoid mistakes. With limits, so what if you make a mistake, not much money is lost. Make the FOs WORK to find good players in the first place.

The only ones that will be affected are the fans -- seeing more "bust" players each year.

the_next_level (7/16/2008)
Any ideas on how the NFL should organize this.Should 1st round picks get more money than 2nd round picks?What is a fair amount to compensate rookies?Guaranteed money?Any ideas?Discuss

Since it really doesn't affect me....I'd say it should be a range.  It's really not hard to figure it out.  It's hard to say what a "rookie" should make.  I'm glad I don't have to make that decisions. :)