James Posey agrees to 4 year deal with the New Orleans Hornets

Shaud

LAS VEGAS -- The reigning NBA champions are about to lose their glue guy.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday that James Posey has agreed to a four-year deal with the New Orleans Hornets worth an estimated $25 million.

Because of luxury-tax concerns, Boston was reluctant to offer Posey, 31, more than a two-year deal in spite of his considerable contributions to the Celtics' first championship since 1986.

Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3492206

QV_26 (7/17/2008)
over-rated....very over-rated...good defender, yes, but being left guarded by the teams worse defender, and some times not guarded at all
please.there is nothing overrated about him. He was a big part of both titles he won.Besides Wade he was the biggest reason they won in 2006. Any team would be lucky to have a player like Posey.

keithbrooking56 (7/17/2008)
Posey is now overrated with a deal that large. He is a good defender and a glue guy but he's the classic MLE kinda of player.
it's better than signing an injury prone career backup to that same contract to be a starter (Craig Claxton).

tdot falcon (7/17/2008)
:D:D:D

Hopefully he does for New Orleans what he did for Miami and Boston.

****** I was hoping he stayed in Boston because I didn't want him going to a division rival. Overpaid a bit for him but still a very good pickup. Without Posey Boston wouldn't have won the title.

Shaud (7/17/2008)
tdot falcon (7/17/2008)
:D:D:D

Hopefully he does for New Orleans what he did for Miami and Boston.

****** I was hoping he stayed in Boston because I didn't want him going to a division rival. Overpaid a bit for him but still a very good pickup. Without Posey Boston wouldn't have won the title.

I wanted this pickup to happen for a while but I kept my mouth shut because whenever I want something to happen and declare it publicly the exact opposite always happens. Like you said they might have overpaid slightly but I still think Peja is the most overpaid player on the team ( and thats coming from a big Peja fan). If they can manage the money and keep the core together the Hornets could seriously contend and that's very likely when the star player is taking a pay cut to try and keep the team together.