Westboro Baptist demonstrators use Touma death

Statick

Westboro Baptist demonstrators use Touma death

A staff report

A small group of demonstrators from a controversial anti-military church assembled outside Fort Bragg this morning as scheduled.

Fewer than 10 members of Westboro Baptist Church had appeared at the picket by the 11 a.m. start time. They were gathered on the east side of Bragg Boulevard just south of the Fort Bragg sign.

More than 50 counter-protesters had gathered across Bragg Boulevard by about 10:45.

The fringe Westboro Baptist sect, whose literature claims war casualties are divine revenge for America s tolerance of homosexuality, is known for harassing mourners at military funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Fort Bragg picket was organized to celebrate as evidence of God s anger the death of Spc. Megan Touma, who was found dead in a Fayetteville motel room last month.

An informal network called Fort Bragg Mommies organized the counter demonstration.

Fayetteville police officers are handling security since the protest is off post.

silentbob1272 (7/16/2008)
SteelerDawg6481 (7/16/2008)
I hope the Thunder Riders beat the ##### out of all those #####ers!

Better yet, I hope they step onto Bragg and get their butts picked off. We can only hope fur such poetic justice.

I don't think I've ever agreed with you before, but I agree.

You'd be surprised in some of my political views. I've always been a Democrat, but I'm a conservative leaning Dem. An old-school Dem if you will. I'm pro-gun, anti-abortion, and pro-military.

But yeah, these #####ers will get theirs when they get to the other side. And it won't be pretty.

silentbob1272 (7/16/2008)
I hope the Thunder Riders beat the ##### out of all those #####ers!

Better yet, I hope they step onto Bragg and get their butts picked off. We can only hope fur such poetic justice.

I don't think I've ever agreed with you before, but I agree.

You'd be surprised in some of my political views. I've always been a Democrat, but I'm a conservative leaning Dem. An old-school Dem if you will. I'm pro-gun, anti-abortion, and pro-military.

But yeah, these #####ers will get theirs when they get to the other side. And it won't be pretty.

Wow. You are an old school Democrat. Good to see some of you guys have survived the "purge and change" in that party.