Don't keep SEC superiority a secret

gamecocknfire

Don't keep SEC superiority a secret

The votes are in, and pretty much every preseason publication has spoken: The Southeastern Conference is set to be king of college football again in 2008.

Not only outsiders think so; at the SEC meetings in Destin, Fla., every coach said the league will be better than in 2007, when LSU won the conference s second consecutive national title.

It s hard to argue with such a consensus. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution offers a dazzling array of supporting facts: Two 2007 BCS bowl teams (LSU, Georgia) both won; nine teams had seven-plus wins in 2007; eight have 14 or more returning starters, highlighted by Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow of Florida.

Four SEC teams are in at least one preseason top 10: the Gators, Auburn, LSU and Georgia, which is ranked No. 1 or No. 2 on everyone s list. Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina are listed among the top 30 by some.

It sounds great, and might even turn out that way. So why are most SEC teams intent on keeping their superiority a secret?

I m talking about the league s unwillingness, in terms of nonconference scheduling, of putting its money where its mouth is. Once again, SEC teams will play a mostly who s-that lineup of foes, defending the practice with the tired idea that the conference is tough enough without looking for outside trouble.

Of 48 non-SEC opponents (four per team) this fall, 31 are in the should-be-an-automatic-win category. Of the other 17, six are traditional rivalries (Clemson-USC, Louisville-Kentucky, etc.).

The one mitigating factor for the SEC s wimp-out image: Of six nonconference games that scream mustsee TV, four are on the road, while Clemson-Alabama is in neutral Atlanta.

Georgia at Arizona State, Arkansas at Texas, Auburn at West Virginia and Tennessee at UCLA should give us some indication how the SEC stacks up nationally.

Hawaii at Florida looked better before the Sugar Bowl. Of the rest, N.C. State at USC is an OK regional matchup, though a must-win for the Gamecocks.

Enjoy those games while you can. Then it will be back inside the SEC clubhouse for a little mutually harmful jousting until bowl season. Is the SEC the best? Must be; everyone says so, right?

Me, I m looking forward to defending national champion LSU at home Aug. 30 against its toughest nonconference foe: Appalachian State, last season s giant-killer against Michigan. Win that, Les Miles, and then we ll talk about who s No. 1.

I would like to see florida travel out west for a game against a pac-10 team. I know it's comfy for them in the swamp, but I would like to see what they do on the road against a top team in that conference.. I personally love that uga has played the likes of oklahoma state, colorado, and arizona state and we have matchups in the future with okie state and colorado on the road next year. It's fun to see us play teams we don't play often.

SacFalcFan (7/16/2008)
I would like to see florida travel out west for a game against a pac-10 team. I know it's comfy for them in the swamp, but I would like to see what they do on the road against a top team in that conference.. I personally love that uga has played the likes of oklahoma state, colorado, and arizona state and we have matchups in the future with okie state and colorado on the road next year. It's fun to see us play teams we don't play often.

Don't forget that we have a date with Oregon as well, out in Oregon sometime in the future.

I'd like to see UF go west as well. But perhaps even better would be UF and Big Ten. But whenever an SEC school comes calling (unless it's Vandy or Kentucky), those Big Ten schools turn the other direction and run.

LawDawg (7/16/2008)

Don't forget that we have a date with Oregon as well, out in Oregon sometime in the future.

I'd like to see UF go west as well. But perhaps even better would be UF and Big Ten. But whenever an SEC school comes calling (unless it's Vandy or Kentucky), those Big Ten schools turn the other direction and run.

yep, we are scheduled to play Oregon in a home-and-home in 2015 and '16. Eugene in '15, and here in Athens in 2016.

And as for your Big Ten comment, THat is so true. DE tried to get a date w/Meatchicken and  they tucked their tails between their tails and ran like little girls.

What a bunch of #####! :w00t:

Oh, we also play Louisville in a home-and-home in 2011 and 2012. Here, then there.

SteelerDawg6481 (7/16/2008)
LawDawg (7/16/2008)

yep, we are scheduled to play Oregon in a home-and-home in 2015 and '16. Eugene in '15, and here in Athens in 2016.

And as for your Big Ten comment, THat is so true. DE tried to get a date w/Meatchicken and they tucked their tails between their tails and ran like little girls.

What a bunch of#####! :w00t:

As for the bold comments I am guess you are talking of Michigan please show proof of this are did you get it off another Message Board like you usually get your info which is questionable at best. Hey Michigan ain't scared of no SEC school as we fair pretty well when we do play SEC teams.

What I would like to see is a SEC school come up north in October or November and play in the Big House or the Shoe.

Oh, we also play Louisville in a home-and-home in 2011 and 2012. Here, then there.

Demetrius Dew (7/16/2008)
SteelerDawg6481 (7/16/2008)
LawDawg (7/16/2008)

And as for your Big Ten comment, THat is so true. DE tried to get a date w/Meatchicken and they tucked their tails between their tails and ran like little girls.

What a bunch of#####! :w00t:

As for the bold comments I am guess you are talking of Michigan please show proof of this are did you get it off another Message Board like you usually get your info which is questionable at best. Hey Michigan ain't scared of no SEC school as we fair pretty well when we do play SEC teams.

What I would like to see is a SEC school come up north in October or November and play in the Big House or the Shoe.

This came from damon evans our AD and not from a message board. UGA has tried to get home and home with a number of teams and michigan was one of them and they backed out of an agreement with UGA. They were shot down by fsu, miami, among a number of other teams for a home and home. The problem is there are many teams who don't want to do a home and home with an sec team. They have less of an issue if you come to their house, but they don't want to come to your house.