Convicted Steriods Dealer Gives Feds Receipts From Clemens

july425

Report: Radomski gives feds evidence on Clemens<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Updated: July 16, 2008, 12:42 AM EST

add this RSS blog email print

NEW YORK (AP) - Convicted steroid distributor Kirk Radomski handed over shipping receipts to federal investigators for a package of human growth hormone that he claims he sent to Roger Clemens' home in Texas in 2002 or 2003, The Daily News reported late Tuesday night on its Web site.

Clemens, the seven-time Cy Young Award winner, is under investigation for perjury after telling Congress he never used steroids or human growth hormone. Brian McNamee, Clemens' personal trainer, told Congress that Clemens used performance-enhancing drugs and that he provided them to the 300-game winner.

The Daily News reported, according to sources with close knowledge of the investigation, that Radomski is also believed to have provided the government with new information and receipts for drug shipments to other players.

Radomski is a former New York Mets clubhouse employee whose allegations formed much of former Senate majority leader George Mitchell's report on steroid use in major league baseball. Radomski was sentenced to five years of probation in February after cooperating with government investigators.

McNamee's allegations about Clemens in the Mitchell Report led to Senate hearings with Clemens.

The Daily News reported, according to the sources, that the package Radomski sent was addressed to William Roger Clemens, in care of Brian McNamee. The Daily News' sources said McNamee did not sign for the package.

According to the sources, the timing of the shipment to Clemens' <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Houston home coincides roughly with the dates when Clemens' wife, Debbie, used human growth hormone in preparation for her participation in a pictorial in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. They also expect the evidence to corroborate McNamee's claims that Clemens was behind his wife's use and was present when McNamee injected her just after the drugs arrived at the couple's home.

Clemens' attorney, Rusty Hardin, said he wasn't aware of the government receiving the receipts from Radomski.

"I can't imagine that there's any truth to that at all," Hardin said. "We'll find out one day Roger never received or took the stuff."

Matthew Parrella, an assistant U.S. Attorney from San Francisco, declined comment to The Daily News when contacted about the receipts.

McNamee's attorney, Richard Emery, told The News on Tuesday he had heard that Radomski found new evidence.

"He found a receipt, and from what I'm told, he's turned it over to the feds," Emery said. "I don't think there's any question of its validity. It confirms the story Brian described on the occasion when he was asked to inject Debbie and Clemens presented him with the HGH."

A few problems I see with this.

First, since it was c/o Mcnamee... unless they have Clemens' signature for receiving, denial will ultimately win.

Second, even if Clemens did receive said package; Highly unlikely it says it was for HGH. I would assume it would have just been a package from this gentleman to Clemens.

Third, if they could prove it was HGH, and did arrive to Clemens household, this still does not offer concrete evidence that Clemens took HGH. His wife, perhaps, she could be the scapegoat in all of this.

All of this very well tarnish Roger Clemens' image and possibly cost him the HoF; but I do not think it will be enough to get him on perjury.

The only thing I will say on this subject is I just do not see the hatred and anger towards Clemons that there was against Bonds. Why? Thier should be. If Bonds does not go to the hall then neither should Clemons. Bonds was never a media darling, but so what. I never really had a problem with the guy.

What I will say is, I will never understand why Bonds' ruined his already hall of fame career to try to beat the pumped up Mcguire, who would not have made it anyway.

me51 (7/19/2008)
The only thing I will say on this subject is I just do not see the hatred and anger towards Clemons that there was against Bonds. Why?Thier should be. If Bonds does not go to the hall then neither should Clemons. Bonds was never a media darling, but so what. I never really had a problem with the guy.

What I will say is, I will never understand why Bonds' ruined his already hall of fame career to try to beat the pumped up Mcguire, who would not have made it anyway.

First, the evidence on Clemens isn't nearly as strong as it is on Bonds nor has Clemens changed physically like Bonds has (bigger head and shoes, etc).

Sceond, McGwire most certainly would have gone into the HOF had he not clammed up and basically admit he cheated.

All that said, if it gets to the degree of McGwire or Bonds then yes, he should be treated the same. The main reason Bonds got more grief was because he was chasing a record when Clemens wasn't...

capologist (7/19/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
The only thing I will say on this subject is I just do not see the hatred and anger towards Clemons that there was against Bonds. Why?Thier should be. If Bonds does not go to the hall then neither should Clemons. Bonds was never a media darling, but so what. I never really had a problem with the guy.

First, the evidence on Clemens isn't nearly as strong as it is on Bonds nor has Clemens changed physically like Bonds has (bigger head and shoes, etc).

Sceond, McGwire most certainly would have gone into the HOF had he not clammed up and basically admit he cheated.

All that said, if it gets to the degree of McGwire or Bonds then yes, he should be treated the same. The main reason Bonds got more grief was because he was chasing a record when Clemens wasn't...

Yes, I understand Bonds was chasing a very sacred record, but Clemons had already reached many milesstones. Mcguire I will argue was not Hall of fame calibre before his '98 season. He was a mediocre fielder, below average hitter who either struck out or hit home runs. A good fraction of his home runs were disproportionatley hit in his last three years.

me51 (7/19/2008)

Yes, I understand Bonds was chasing a very sacred record, but Clemons had already reached many milesstones. Mcguire I will argue was not Hall of fame calibre before his '98 season. He was a mediocre fielder, belowaverage hitter who either struck out or hit home runs. A good fractionof hishome runswere disproportionatley hit in his last three years.

But CLEMENS hadn't broken a record though. Every player passes milestones. MCGWIRE hit 583 homers. There's not one person who's hit over 500 HR's that's not in the HoF. Secondly, he hit 49 HR's his first full season in the league and consistently hit 30+ until another 40 HR season in '92. He also hit 52 in '96. Well over half of his HR's were hit prior to '98.

If he had less than 500 HR's then fielding and average would come into play (see Dave Kingman) but that's not the case. The ONLY reason he won't make it is because of the high probability of him cheating...

capologist (7/19/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)

Clemens did swell up look at his younger pictures until he retired.

capologist (7/19/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)

Yes, I understand Bonds was chasing a very sacred record, but Clemons had already reached many milesstones. Mcguire I will argue was not Hall of fame calibre before his '98 season. He was a mediocre fielder, belowaverage hitter who either struck out or hit home runs. A good fractionof hishome runswere disproportionatley hit in his last three years.

But CLEMENS hadn't broken a record though. Every player passes milestones. MCGWIRE hit 583 homers. There's not one person who's hit over 500 HR's that's not in the HoF. Secondly, he hit 49 HR's his first full season in the league and consistently hit 30+ until another 40 HR season in '92. He also hit 52 in '96. Well over half of his HR's were hit prior to '98.

If he had less than 500 HR's then fielding and average would come into play (see Dave Kingman) but that's not the case. The ONLY reason he won't make it is because of the high probability of him cheating...

So, I suppose you are not one of those opposed to Bonds getting in the Hall of Fame.