This INDECISIVE Favre, IS the same mixed-up guy we drafted.

michaelgee

The current "Indecisive Brett Favre" reminds me of the same guy we drafted.

Favre's "on the field" play for all these years seems diminshed a bit since the Media Circus that Favre has created with his past few seasons of," I want to play, no wait, I don't want to play, but yes I want to play again".

This is the same Favre we drafted. The kid who roamed and pillaged Buckhead.

Now he is wandering again, or is that wondering again?

I'm kind of tired of this act, how about you?

The consequences and critical decision making points that face an NFL team when a future HOF QB considers retirement are significant: especially when that QB continues to have the skills and abilities to lead a team to the playoffs and a possible championship.  Getting a firm commitment from Favre on his future after each of the past few seasons must have been agonizing for the player and Packer management; however, Favre KNEW what these consequences would be in advance of his decision to retire at the end of last season. 

The Packers leadership team conducted their recent player selection process based upon Favres retirement and the ascention of a new QB (Aaron Rodgers) to lead the team.  The management, players and Green Bay fans seem to have reluctantly moved on, and were becoming prepared to transition to a new era in Packer football without Favre.

Although Favre is certainly entitled to change his mind and announce his desire to return to the field of play, he is still a highly skilled, productive and VALUABLE commodity, and he should not expect that he should be simply released by the Packers.  The fact that he is a future HOF'er doesn't give Favre 'carte blanche' to simply walk away from his contract and play for another team.  It doesn't change the fact that the Packers should expect adequate compensation from any team that wishes to sign Favre. 

I think that there are only a couple of ways this can pan out: Favre must either stay retired or the Packers will need to return him to the roster at his $12 million salary, trade him or release him.

IMHO, Favre's flip-flopping on retirement has turned the situation into a soap opera, a PR nightmare for the Packers, and has (at least in the short term) diminished my respect for him. 

Many players go through this indecision year end and year out and usually decide somewhere around this time over the course of several years.  The problem in this case is GB forced him to make a decision back in March.  Obviously GB wants to be able to plan for the upcoming year as far in advance.

It's a shame that it ended up like this but I can understand both points of view to some degree.  The thing that makes this a little different is he is still a productive QB.  It's not like he is over extending his stay like Jerry Rice.

While I am totally sick of this story and think Favre is acting like a tool, I sure wish we'd had him all these years. Whether or not he would've acheived so much success in Atlanta is debatable but I sure would've preferred to find out. Instead we were treated to the likes of Billy Joe Overthrow, Steve Deberg, Jeff George and that other bum currently on the suspended list.

Here's my solution to all of this Favre drama.  Green Bay should reach an agreement with the 49ers to give them Favre for a draft pick (7th would be fine).  The 49ers would agree without question.  Green Bay would be giving Favre his opportunity to just play football, exactly what he's asking.  Favre in all likelihood would not accept the offer because the 49ers have the worst passing offense in the league.  So now his options are retire or be crucified because of his selfishness.  If Favre did decide to accept the trade, the likelihood is that he would fail miserably and everyone would think the GB organization made the right decision not allowing him to come back in the first place.  Favre either retires (what the GB org wants), doesn't accept the trade (makes Favre look bad), or plays for SF (fails miserably while GB outperforms SF reaffirming their decision).  Any which way you slice it, the Green Bay organization comes out on top. 

It doesn't really bother me that he's indecisive about retiring. He's had a great great career and is at a point where, despite being able to play at a high level, his passion is beginning to fade for the grind.

What I'm tired of is the non-stop MEDIA circus. Favre isn't causing the media circus... some fat cat sitting behind a desk somewhere in Connecticut or New York is causing it.

Favre is entitled to make his decision; but he must understand that despite his career and contributions to Green Bay, the NFL is and always has been a business first. He can't expect the Packers to cater specifically to his whims until he is no longer useful.

• 2 weeks later...