with albert haynesworth, terrell suggs, and asomungah(the corner for oakland) not signing long term deals..will blank open his wallet big next year?

getting all 3 of these guys is just a dream but one or two will definatley put us in the playoffs next year. and not only that, im sure we would be full to capacity in the dome with big names like these. if we dont bring in big impact players next year, you can expect at least 1 more blackout season. no one wants to come and see a team with no superstars. yea i know football is a team game, but name me one team that doesnt have at least one big name on their team that sells tickets? we dont have that. the closes thing to a big name we have is roddy white because of his big season last year. we can sit on here all day and discuss how no one man makes a team and winning cures all and blah blah blah, but as anyone can see, we are not in a position to win for a good long while, and i doubt blank will just sit back and do nothing while he is loosing money. i think he will be a smart man next year and get some big impact players in here and we will be back in the playoffs next year.

crankthatbatman (7/16/2008)
getting all 3 of these guys is just a dream but one or two will definatley put us in the playoffs next year. and not only that, im sure we would be full to capacity in the dome with big names like these. if we dont bring in big impact players next year, you can expect at least 1 more blackout season. no one wants to come and see a team with no superstars. yea i know football is a team game, but name me one team that doesnt have at least one big name on their team that sells tickets? we dont have that. the closes thing to a big name we have is roddy white because of his big season last year. we can sit on here all day and discuss how no one man makes a team and winning cures all and blah blah blah, but as anyone can see, we are not in a position to win for a good long while, and i doubt blank will just sit back and do nothing while he is loosing money. i think he will be a smart man next year and get some big impact players in here and we will be back in the playoffs next year.

Only do big free agent signings when we can get to the playoffs without them - in other words, only as the finishing touches of the team.

chifalc (7/16/2008)

Only do big free agent signings when we can get to the playoffs without them - in other words, only as the finishing touches of the team.

huh?

defensedefensedefense (7/16/2008)
Dont forget Karlos Dansby... Maybe even Jason Peters;)

Suggs would be great though. He is only 25 and coming into his prime... No to Haynesworth, especially with the DT class coming through next year, it should be very deep. I would take Peters all day, although he reportedly wants 8-11M per season...

do u mind posting DT's that are coming out this year??im not familiar with any of them, and seeing that we didnt draft any tackles this year, whats the possiblity of us taking one or two next year?

If our DTs play weak this season, I would definately throw a lot of $$$ at Haynesworth.

I would say the possibility of drafting a DT or 2 next year is very possible...

Here are some prospects to keep an eye on:

Fili Moala, USC

Sen'Derrick Marks, Auburn

Al Woods, LSU

Vance Walker, Georgia Tech

Vince Oghobaase, Duke

DeMarcus Granger, Oklahoma

Jeff Owens, Georgia

Peria Jerry, Ole Miss

George Hypolite, Colorado

Terrance Taylor, Michigan

Myron Pryor, Kentucky

Demonte Bolden, Tennessee

B.J. Raji, Boston College

Dorell Scott, Clemson

Dont forget Karlos Dansby... Maybe even Jason PetersWink.gif

Suggs would be great though. He is only 25 and coming into his prime... No to Haynesworth, especially with the DT class coming through next year, it should be very deep. I would take Peters all day, although he reportedly wants 8-11M per season...

It wouldn't surprise me if Haynesworth was franchised by Tennessee next year - Suggs would be good his total tackles has steadily went up every year he has been in, but his sack total has dropped every year as well. I wouldn't mind Karlos at all either - even though I like Brooking his time his fast approaching - I just wonder how Suggs or Karlos would do switching to the weak side? Peters signed a 5 year extension with the Bills in 2005 so I doubt he will be availeable.

BruceReville (7/16/2008)
Dont forget Karlos Dansby... Maybe even Jason PetersWink.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if Haynesworth was franchised by Tennessee next year - Suggs would be good his total tackles has steadily went up every year he has been in, but his sack total has dropped every year as well. I wouldn't mind Karlos at all either - even though I like Brooking his time his fast approaching - I just wonder how Suggs or Karlos would do switching to the weak side? Peters signed a 5 year extension with the Bills in 2005 so I doubt he will be availeable.

Dansby would be a great WLB imo and Suggs could be utilized in the 3-4 package at OLB and play end when we slip Anderson inside... Peters is an interesting situation, from what i hear a hold out is very much on the cards...

Haynesworth was franchised this year, i dont know if he can be again...

BruceReville (7/16/2008)

A player can be franchised up to 3 times according to the NFL Free Agency CBA

Dont some players have clauses in their contracts about multiple franchising?? The Patriots could only franchise Samuel twice i think... Not sure bout Albert...

It is not in their contracts initially, but it is often agreed between the player and the team that the player will sign his franchise tender (rather than holding out) in return for the team not applying the franchise tag the next year.

Neither Suggs, Haynesworth, Dansby nor Asomugha threatened to hold out, so the team was never forced to enter into such an agreement.

Accordingly, it is very unlikely that we get near any of those guys. And even if we do, their current team would have to agree to a sign and trade, as we did with Abraham a while ago.

1989fan (7/16/2008)
wow..talk about highway robbery. i didnt know this.

higway robbery? If getting a guaranteed 10M+ a season is robbery....sign me up to be robbed.

but some players feel like they are worth more then the guaranteed money they are getting when getting franchised. why do u think some players try to avoid that?

BruceReville (7/16/2008)

wow..talk about highway robbery. i didnt know this.

I think they write it into the franchise tender.  Basically its usually structured as if a player plays x% of snaps then the team cant franchise him again.  Also, franchising a player two years in a row means the second year he gets like an automatic 20% raise or something.  Its a ton of cash.

Dont some players have clauses in their contracts about multiple franchising?? The Patriots could only franchise Samuel twice i think... Not sure bout Albert...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3490689

Now talks with Haynesworth will turn toward the one-year tender, and a team can franchise a player three times, but also can waive its right to use the tag on a player in a contract.

"Our focus will shift to discussing an agreement with the Titans that would prevent them from franchising him again next year," Speck said.

Reinfeldt said the Titans were open to talks involving the future use of the franchise tag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asante_Samuel

On February 16, 2007, the Patriots placed the franchise tag on him. After holding out for most of the preseason, Samuel signed the one-year $7.79 million tender on August 27, 2007 to fulfill his obligation under the franchise tag. He was eligible for free agency again at the end of the 2007 season. According to the Boston Globe, if Samuel participated in 60% of the defensive snaps or the Patriots win 12 games, his contract stipulated that the team would not place the franchise tag on him for the following season. Samuel finished the 2007 regular season with six interceptions, returning one for a touchdown. He was named to the 2008 Pro Bowl on December 18, 2007. In Super Bowl XLII, Samuel dropped a potential game-winning interception on the Giants' final drive.

As long as Haynesworth's 1 year tender he signs doesn't have a "No Franchise" clause the Titans can do it to him again.

I think they write it into the franchise tender.  Basically its usually structured as if a player plays x% of snaps then the team cant franchise him again.  Also, franchising a player two years in a row means the second year he gets like an automatic 20% raise or something.  Its a ton of cash.

You're correct - any franchised player must participate in 60% of his possible snaps to meet his franchise eligibility/commitment - and after 2 consecutive franchise tags by the same team - if it happens a third time it's a 20% pay increase above that year's average for his position.

haynesworth?

im not sure if our FO will go for a guy that stomped on a guys face. besides that hes a munster.

terrell suggs could replace brooking.

and we definitely need cornerbacks.

jason peteres? absolutely. we just signed matt ryan to a munster deal, we need long term help for him on the O line.

The Falcons are much "too far away" from contending for a SuperBowl to start spending HUGE amounts of money for free agents.......we need 2 more years of building our "base" of talent up before we start slinging money around - that is what landed us where we are in the first place with Rich McKay giving HUGE contracts to Mike Vick, Keith Brooking, Ed Hartwell, Rod Coleman, Jason Webster, etc., etc.

No thanks.....besides, no free agents are going to want to come to Atlanta until we start winning anyway.

g-dawg (7/16/2008)
The Falcons are much "too far away" from contending for a SuperBowl to start spending HUGE amounts of money for free agents.......we need 2 more years of building our "base" of talent up before we start slinging money around - that is what landed us where we are in the first place with Rich McKay giving HUGE contracts to Mike Vick, Keith Brooking, Ed Hartwell, Rod Coleman, Jason Webster, etc., etc.

No thanks.....besides, no free agents are going to want to come to Atlanta until we start winning anyway.

yea i figured someone would go this route and say something like this. yall are so stuck on the fact that we dont need veteran help just because we have a young football team. WE NEED HELP!!!point blank. even in 5 years, we still probably wont be contending for no superbowl. you do not know what blank is going through financially wise so im sure he will think twice about getting impact players.

g-dawg (7/16/2008)

That's what everyone said this year but Michael Turner loved Atlanta so much when he came he didn't even visit any other teams and he said he had a lot of calls and offers and he was the best RB in free agency so he was going to get a decent deal regardless.

Say what you want about Blank and his meddling but when it comes to FA, even when our team is at rock bottom he takes care of business and is a monster at getting free agents to sign here. "Please I have a flight to Atlanta for you in four hours, come I'd like to buy you dinner"

(Later that night)

Arthur Blank: *puts a stainless steel briefcase on the table* So how'd you like to be an Atlanta Falcon? *opens it up with millions of dollars in it*

Free Agent: !?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Where do I sign?

atlfalcon36 (7/16/2008)
g-dawg (7/16/2008)

That's what everyone said this year but Michael Turner loved Atlanta so much when he came he didn't even visit any other teams and he said he had a lot of calls and offers and he was the best RB in free agency so he was going to get a decent deal regardless.

Say what you want about Blank and his meddling but when it comes to FA, even when our team is at rock bottom he takes care of business and is a monster at getting free agents to sign here. "Please I have a flight to Atlanta for you in four hours, come I'd like to buy you dinner"

(Later that night)

Arthur Blank: *puts a stainless steel briefcase on the table* So how'd you like to be an Atlanta Falcon? *opens it up with millions of dollars in it*

Free Agent: !?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Where do I sign?

stainless steel platnium briefcase with a falcon emblem in diamonds..bling bling..

BruceReville (7/16/2008)

yup but Haynesworth has said numerous times that he is not signing the franchise contract unless they agree not to franchise him next year

theses are the 2009 freeagent that i think we should look at

6'7 342lbs RT/G Stacy Andrews: A big mean mauler who can play both RT and Guard.... TD was going to go after him this freeagent but the Bengals franchised him

6'3 300lbs DT Tank Johnson: I know alot of you guys wont like this but this guy is Monster UT....This guy has changed his life for the better and is a under-rated DT..... With a D-Line Like 6'4 260lbs John Abraham, 6'6 310lbs Vince Oghobaase, 6'3 300lbs Tank Johnson, 6'5 280lbs Jamaal Anderson....That would be a good D-Line

6'8 332lbs RT/LT Max Starks: Max Starks is a good RT whom can play LT if you need him to...... I dont think Starks will get the Huge contract with so many Good OT coming out in next years draft

6'3 332lbs DT Gabe Watson: Watson will be a RFA next year but with the Cardinals having no money and with the Cardinals having Alan Branch.... They will let the space eating DT walk...... Gabe Watson would is a great run stopper.... (a younger more athletic Grady Jackson)

i would love to have jason peters but he wont be a freeagent until the 2010 offseason

atljbo (7/16/2008)
BruceReville (7/16/2008)

yup but Haynesworth has said numerous times that he is not signing the franchise contract unless they agree not to franchise him next year

theses are the 2009 freeagent that i think we should look at

6'7 342lbs RT/G Stacy Andrews: A big mean mauler who can play both RT and Guard.... TD was going to go after him this freeagent but the Bengals franchised him

6'3 300lbs DT Tank Johnson: I know alot of you guys wont like this but this guy is Monster UT....This guy has changed his life for the better and is a under-rated DT..... With a D-Line Like 6'4 260lbs John Abraham, 6'6 310lbs Vince Oghobaase, 6'3 300lbs Tank Johnson, 6'5 280lbs Jamaal Anderson....That would be a good D-Line

6'8 332lbs RT/LT Max Starks: Max Starks is a good RT whom can play LT if you need him to...... I dont think Starks will get the Huge contract with so many Good OT coming out in next years draft

6'3 332lbs DT Gabe Watson: Watson will be a RFA next year but with the Cardinals having no money and with the Cardinals having Alan Branch.... They will let the space eating DT walk...... Gabe Watson would is a great run stopper.... (a younger more athletic Grady Jackson)

i would love to have jason peters but he wont be a freeagent until the 2010 offseason

of that list, I like Stacy Andrews the best.....however, if we determine we can get a better offensive lineman with a "top 10" pick in the draft - then that may be a better way to go - we shall see.......