WOW!!! Did I really hear Favre Say on Fox Last Night...

No I didn't. Not a word about the Falcons or Atlanta.

He did say he wanted to play professional football. Given our last couple of years, I think that counts out the Falcons.

IMHO, the most likely place for Favre to end up in the NFC is Carolina (ouch!). GB won't under any circumstances allow him to go to a NFC North team (so Chicago, Minny, & Detroit are off the list.) Carolina has a decent o-line, they are going to have a solid running game this year, and they have a good set of receivers. They only thing holding back their offense is the QB.  You've got a coach and GM on the hot seat, so they might make a trade with GB to aquire Favre in an attempt to keep their jobs.

Atlanta is building for the future mode. We ain't giving up diddly to trade for Favre so we can what? Go 5-11 instead of 3-13? You don't sacrifice your future for that!

Bring It (7/15/2008)
The bum is older than John McCain !!!  Give me a break.

The Falcons are on a path to success...................without an ancient QB.

I'm guessing he's about 7-8 years younger than Obama - I know he's a year younger than me.

He wouldn't want to be a Falcon anyway - so you are probably safe

Bring It (7/15/2008)

Bring It, you're not seriously calling Brett an Ancient QB are you?  I love the Falcons and Matt Ryan, but if this was a plausible scenario, we would no doubt let redman go, and use Brett to get us through this year, and mentor Ryan. 

I think you left the cap off your sharpie over there.  :D:D:D

mcmvp (7/15/2008)
He will only play for the Panthers if he wants to play for the Panthers.

GB doesn't really have a choice of where he goes - the only way they can control anything is by just not cutting him and letting him play.

Right now GB owns his playing rights. I think GB can really muddy the waters with the commisoner. Favre said he retired. GB made plans (including ones that affect their cap) based on Favre's statements. They can appeal to the commisioner saying Favre is trying to work the system. Saying he is retiring, but not signing the paperwork.

I expect this will end up being like the Terrell Owens deal with SF, when he forgot to sign the paperwork voiding the last year of his contract. SF traded him to Baltimore, TO refused to play there, and the commisoner had to step in and make an "outside the rules" move that ended up being a three way trade between SF, Philly, and Baltimore.

GB won't pay Favre 12 million+ to sit on the bench. They'll say he retired and that's it. They'd rather see him not play anywhere than play for a team other than GB. Favre will find some team that wants him, then the commisioner will step in to force the trade to happen despite GBs wishes.

Brookhaven (7/15/2008)
mcmvp (7/15/2008)

GB doesn't really have a choice of where he goes - the only way they can control anything is by just not cutting him and letting him play.

Right now GB owns his playing rights. I think GB can really muddy the waters with the commisoner. Favre said he retired. GB made plans (including ones that affect their cap) based on Favre's statements. They can appeal to the commisioner saying Favre is trying to work the system. Saying he is retiring, but not signing the paperwork.

I expect this will end up being like the Terrell Owens deal with SF, when he forgot to sign the paperwork voiding the last year of his contract. SF traded him to Baltimore, TO refused to play there, and the commisoner had to step in and make an "outside the rules" move that ended up being a three way trade between SF, Philly, and Baltimore.

GB won't pay Favre 12 million+ to sit on the bench. They'll say he retired and that's it. They'd rather see him not play anywhere than play for a team other than GB. Favre will find some team that wants him, then the commisioner will step in to force the trade to happen despite GBs wishes.

My understanding is that Green Bay HAS to accept him back if he fills out the required paperwork. 

I can't phathom any possible scenarion of Favre playing for another team. 

Brookhaven (7/15/2008)
mcmvp (7/15/2008)

If the Packers go that far (to the Commish) - they will come out looking very, very dumb.

I don't envy their position - I wouldn't want to be them right now.  But to me it's a no-brainer.  You stay with the guy that got you to 13-3 a year ago if he wants to play.  The guy that hasn't missed a game for you in 17 years. 

You don't turn to the guy that has zero starts and 2 injuries.

Starting QBs are hard to find - they may have a good one in Rodgers, they may not.  At least they know they have a good one in Favre.

Is Favre's waffling getting old?  **** yes - it's been old for a long while now.  But the Packers should be happy about this news - annoyed at the timing - but happy overall.

mcmvp (7/15/2008)

lmao thats funny. actually GB has all the power. If farve wants to play, then they decide where he goes. remember he is under contract, and its not like other sports i dont think their is a no trade clause.

GEORGIAfan (7/15/2008)
mcmvp (7/15/2008)

lmao thats funny. actually GB has all the power. If farve wants to play, then they decide where he goes. remember he is under contract, and its not like other sports i dont think their is a no trade clause.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

subhead_news.gif

News Main arrowblack.gifE-mail

Posted: 19 hours 17 minutes ago

Favre now owns a unique no-trade clause

adam_schefter_headshot_sm.jpg By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

FAV540222.jpg Find out what Michael Fabiano thinks will happen to Brett Favre's value in fantasy football if the legendary QB returns to the NFL but is traded to a different team. Watch video ...

» Favre breaks silence about situation

» Fantasy football blog: Not high on Favre

Neither Favre nor his agent, Bus Cook, has revealed which teams, or team, that would be, though speculation has swirled around Minnesota and Carolina. Yet it is as inconceivable to think Green Bay would trade Favre in its division as it is that it would release him, giving him the same option.

Thus, according to NFL executives, Favre's trade value is well below market value. It is as if he has the same rights accorded a 10-5 player in Major League Baseball, where any player who has spent 10 seasons in the league, including five straight for one team, can veto a deal.

The NFL has no such rule, but Favre now has such powers. There will be no trade of Favre unless he approves it, eliminating the prospect of him playing for any number of teams. Market value in Favre's case is irrelevant because even though he could be on the open market, he never will be, not officially.

Now, if and when Favre sends a letter to the NFL and the Packers asking to be reinstated and he officially unretires, Green Bay will have approximately 24 hours to reinstate him. If and when Favre unretires, the Packers -- who already have said they refuse to release their quarterback -- will have only two viable options.

»They can take back Favre in whatever role they have for him.

Or&

»They can search for a city in which Favre is willing to play and take a substandard deal from that team for their legendary quarterback.

Neither option would appear to be particularly appealing to the Packers, but they are better than the only other alternative, which is to release Favre, giving him the freedom to sign with any of the Packers' three divisional rivals in the NFC North.

These are the only ways this volatile and unpredictable story can play out; any other way is purely fantasy football.

It also helps explain why, in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column on SI.com, one NFL general manager said of Packers general manager Ted Thompson: "Ted's got no choice. If he doesn't take Favre back, he's an idiot."

It is not unlike the case involving Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens in 2004. Back then, the 49ers agreed to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second-round draft pick. But Owens refused to play in Baltimore and negotiated with other teams as if the trade never would go through.

Eventually, he was right. San Francisco was forced to send Owens to Philadelphia for a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting.

Just as San Francisco's return was pennies on the dollar, so too would be Green Bay's in the event it opted to trade Favre.

In fact, the consensus is that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, even as unproven as he is, would bring back far more in trade value than Favre. But the Packers have no plans to trade Rodgers, and they will have an exceedingly difficult time trading Favre for anything of value.

So now it is Favre -- not the Packers -- who fully controls where the iconic quarterback spends the upcoming season.

Bring It (7/15/2008)

If he's a bum then what in the **** are the Falcons?

Shaud (7/15/2008)
Bring It (7/15/2008)

WOW

and to think you flamed me weeks ago for so called bashing the foulcons:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

consistentfalcon (7/15/2008)
Shaud (7/15/2008)
Bring It (7/15/2008)

WOW

and to think you flamed me weeks ago for so called bashing the foulcons:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

What does that have to do with this thread? I'm not bashing the Falcons I just don't understand how you can call a QB that help take his team to the NFC Championship this past season a bum.

Brett Farve >>>> any qb to ever suit up for the Falcons.

Yes I still love the Falcons and I still don't know who the foulcons are.

Shaud (7/15/2008)
Shaud (7/15/2008)
Bring It (7/15/2008)

WOW

What does that have to do with this thread? I'm not bashing the Falcons I just don't understand how you can call a QB that help take his team to the NFC Championship this past season a bum.

Brett Farve >>>> any qb to ever suit up for the Falcons.

Yes I still love the Falcons and I still don't know who the foulcons are.

you will see the foulcons soon enought they were 4-12 last year, analyst predict 1-15 this year

you will see the foulcons soon enought they were 4-12 last year, analyst predict 1-15 this year

I looked on NFL.com and I didn't see a team called the Foulcons.

I'm done have a good day sir.

Shaud (7/15/2008)

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

it was'nt sir last time,you people are confusing:w00t::w00t::w00t: 

mcmvp (7/15/2008)

They actually hold all the cards right now. His options as of today are twofold:

1) Stay retired

or

2) Carry the clipboard in GB

Sad but true.

ol'_dirty2 (7/15/2008)
mcmvp (7/15/2008)

They actually hold all the cards right now. His options as of today are twofold:

1) Stay retired

or

Sad but true.

Yeah - I really think the Packers would have the stones to take him back and hand the '08 Madden Cover Boy a clipboard for the year.

They would look completely foolish.  They would be telling their fanbase, and the entire NFL fanbase, that they care more about tomorrow than today.

If they said he can come back and compete for the starting job - and still handed Brett the clipboard - then everyone in the league would call them liars for saying Aaron Rodger won the job fair and square.

I'm not saying Brett is looking good in this whole thing - I think both sides here are going to walk away with black eyes. 

It's no win - for either side.  But I do think Brett holds the cards at this point.

ol'_dirty2 (7/15/2008)
mcmvp (7/15/2008)

1) Stay retired

or

Sad but true.

There is no way they can do option number 2, that would put so much pressure on Aaron Rodgers. I think that would be too much pressure for him to handle.

Shaud (7/15/2008)

He said GOOD DAY!!!!:w00t:

shc (7/15/2008)
Shaud (7/15/2008)

He said GOOD DAY!!!!:w00t:

and it was