THE SAM BAKER POLL ... NOW THAT YOU HAVE HAD TIME TO ANALYZE THE SITUATION

I honestly feel ... that after J. Long ... I would prefer to have Baker over any other linemen.

He had an injury plagued season that hurt his stock ... to our advantage.

He is the stongest, smartest, and most experienced linemen in this draft class ... he has more nasty than people think ... he will be a pro-bowler.

The only reason he is being disrespected is because he is wearing this .....

atlanta_falcons_replica_riddell_mini_helmet.jpg

Baker, Blaylock, and Foster, we're just 1 or 2 players away from a stud O.L.

A high pick next year or a FA and our offense will be special for years to come!

If Baker stays healthy we have a pro bowler and the steal of the draft.

We haven't had a good OL since the Kenn, Van Note era.Even when we had J.Anderson he got every thing on his own. If he would of had Emmit's OL he probably would be a HOFer and never blew out his knees.

I would have rather had brandon albert, but with him gone, Sam Baker was a logical pick.  somewhat safe but a reach.  It was a reach that had to happen but I just would not have given up 2 2nd round picks for that pick.  We could have had a better WR or a DT in the second round.  We should have given up a pick next year along with one of the 2nd round picks this year.

I look at it this way:

we traded Dhall for a second and a 5th next year(a pro bowl player) but traded 2 second round picks for baker. that is very expensive.

we had to trade up to get baker no matter what, there was a run on of OTs being taken in the first round, and after baker there were no quality OTs left, would u have a 3rd rounder as our OT instead of baker...no. also the texans would have taken baker if we never would have traded up....

flrybranch (7/13/2008)
He was a bit of a reach, but the Falcons had to.

What I fail to understand is why do the Falcons get roasted by the "Experts" for trading up to #21 to get Baker but Houston gets a pass for trading up to #26 to get Duane Brown??

i always wondered that too. im sure its just so they can keep dumping on us and use the mike vick is in jail discussion as filler if they need something to talk about. if they paint it like that its just another bad decision made by the falcons. if they gave us props then they might lose ratings... god forbid.

Mr. Offseason (7/13/2008)
flrybranch (7/13/2008)
He was a bit of a reach, but the Falcons had to.

What I fail to understand is why do the Falcons get roasted by the "Experts" for trading up to #21 to get Baker but Houston getsa passfor trading up to #26 to get Duane Brown??

i always wondered that too. im sure its just so they can keep dumping on us and use the mike vick is in jail discussion as filler if they need something to talk about. if they paint it like that its just another bad decision made by the falcons. if they gave us props then they might lose ratings... god forbid.

Not to mention the Panthers trading away next year's draft for Otah.

That was probably the biggest reach of the draft ...

Based on the info available - college play and combine measureables - he is a solid pick at 21.  The guy could turn out to be a bust, - just like Jake Long *could*  Nobody knows until they play.

Since no GMs have a crystal ball, I think it was a solid pick.

And I've heard the Texans get roasted for Duane Brown.  I think nobody outside of Texas talks about the Texans generally, so we just don't hear as much about it.

Falcohol (7/14/2008)
Based on the info available - college play and combine measureables - he is a solid pick at 21.  The guy could turn out to be a bust, - just like Jake Long *could*  Nobody knows until they play.

Since no GMs have a crystal ball, I think it was a solid pick.

And I've heard the Texans get roasted for Duane Brown.  I think nobody outside of Texas talks about the Texans generally, so we just don't hear as much about it.

The Texans also have a proven offensive line coach in Alex Gibbs who deserves the benefit of the doubt when a questionable selection is made...They also have FAR fewer holes than the Falcons so they can absorb the consequence of a reach much better than the Falcons.

It was an unecessary reach....There were plenty of other holes to fill to settle for a guy, in Baker, who lacks the measurables and durability to anchor an NFL line.

Mr. Offseason (7/13/2008)
i said a solid pick but it was between that and a necessary reach. im sure we would have rather gotten him a bit later, but theres no way he would have gotten past the texans at #26.

anyways, im excited to see what he can do 100% healthy.

That is the key, if he can stay healthy, then I think he will be looked at as a steal, if the injuries continue, he will be seen as a typical Falcon's pick.

All that said, I think it was a good pick and a necessary trade, Baker seems like a quality guy and I'm damned glad we landed him.

Sam Baker was a must reach.  Maybe he won't be worth the money we spend on him, but at the very least, he'll be starting on our O line for a while barring injury.  It's not like our o line is missing one piece, we need 3 or 4.  So we grab Baker, and worse case we move him inside and take an OT with high pick next year.  The only decent o lineman we have right now is McClure and he's not getting any younger.  Blalock may prove to be a decent guard, but hasn't proven it.  We still have 2 more holes to fill at the very least if Baker proves he's a quality starter.

I'm worried that USC is not known for turning out offensive lineman. I hope we can catch lightning in a bottle with this one.
my girl goes to alot of the games and i know shes no guru but she saw him play alot and met him a few times and she said he rocks!!:w00t: