Name the top 3 positions of weakness

My top 3 positions that I am most concerned about are:

1.  Nose Tackle

2,  Cornerback

3,  Offensive Tackle

Nose Tackle -- most feel that Lewis was playing pretty good last season before his injury, but I think we are placing too much faith in a 6th rd. rookie that's had 2 major ACL surgeries and won't be ready to start the season.  When you talk about players like Moore & Stanley -- who can say if either will pan out?  Don't see a 6'3or4",330lb. NT in next year's draft that is worth a high 1st rd. pick.  Possible 2nd rd. pick, free agent, trade, or maybe one of the 'bigs' really steps up during the college season. 

Cornerback -- Any rookie is going to have his share of burns at this position, but since we are in a re-building year, the main thing is for CJackson to show that he can be a quality CB in the NFL- with a little experience.  Having a little experience, Houston must show that he can move to the next level with consistency and 'ball awareness'.  If these two young players turn out to be really good, with Grimes, Hutchins, Irons & Fontenot backing up, this position could be a bright spot -- if not, it will have to be addressed in the off-season.

Offensive Tackle -- Will Weiner come back as good as ever, will Baker show all the haters that he's future pro-bowl material at LT? Those are 2 big IF's.  After that it's playing someone out of position like Clabo, Dahl or Blalock at RT, Ojinnaka who is under 300lbs., or an undrafted rookie, Foster, who just blew out his knee. With all the outstanding OT's in next years draft, I could easily see us using our #1 pick to solidify this position for the long term.

Bottom line is that none of us really knows which players will have a good year and which ones fall by the wayside.  That's why this season is so interesting -- it will demonstrate whether we are on the right track or not.

If we had Albert Haynesworth at NT, Champ Bailey at CB, and Walter Jones at OT would the Falcons make the playoffs?

birdfan -- I have to agree with you about the QB being at the top of the list -- I meant to say "besides QB".  We have banked our future on Ryan and I'm sure they will give him at least two or three years to develope before there would be any consideration of making another huge investment at this position.

FS is uncertian, but Coleman should be decent and DeCloud looks like he has a promising future.  Deke Cooper has also played FS 

Defensive Tackle - The most obvious weakness on the team at this time.  This may not be addressable until next offseason so we'll have to do with what we have.  If we're not able to stop the run and provide some essence of a pass rush, then our DBs are going to get torched.

Offensive Tackle - If our tackles fail to control the pass rush and don't effectively block well during the run, then the QB position will become ineffective.  I don't think we are as weak at QB as many might think but their effectiveness is going to be as effective as these positions are.

Cornerback/Safety - I put these two together since they'll be working hand in hand in a Cover 2 scheme.  The safeties will have a bigger responsibility than the corners and it'll be interesting to see how our current players are going to work together on this.  Weaknesses on the Defensive Line will most likely make the workloads of these positions monumental.

1 - Cornerback

2- Defensive Tackle

3- Offensive Line

- We will have to see how cornerback pans out with houston, jackson, and grimes getting more experience, but they scare me the most.

- We have babs as our pass rusher, but we need a run stuffer of a DT, maybe hes on the team, i doubt it though.

- Blalock should look better this year, McClure is a mainstay in our line. Lets see how Baker plays this year and if forney and Weiner can play to their full abilities and get over their injuries.

Yeah, the run stuffing nose tackle is the bigger need.  We may not have Glenn Dorsey at UT, but we could have a decent rotation.  Babinaux is in the last year of his contract and I look for him to have a good year.  I always thought Moorehead played pretty good as a rotational player for Carolina.  They've talked about JAnderson at UT on some pass downs.  Frazer has played DE and UT. ****, even Lewis was quick enough to play some UT.

1)  OT

2) OG

3) C

Its not our Defense that concerns me. Its not even Redmon or Joey(Ryan is just a rookie but he will be a good one down the road). Our offensive line is horrible.

If your offensive line is bad...and trust me...our offensive line is bad. Your not going to have much success.

In fairness to our new managerial crew...there were not many options this year. Baker is an untested rookie....he is a long term work in progress. The 2nd year guy out of TX should show some improvement this year....hopefully. The center we got from Cincy is no better than our current center.

Optimisitically...there is always the chance that...

1) one of the new tight ends ends up being a heck of a blocker

2) Baker is just plain awesome...even as a rookie.

3) Blalock is no longer a rookie and it starts to show.

If the above happens...we could see 7 or 8 victories....sweet!

OTW...only 4 wins this year...but keep your head up...the team is back on track.

Of most importance...this new management team will know that the OL needs the help the most.

Surprised by some of these answers...

UT is probably our weakest position on the line.

Mike Smith feels that a Rashad Moore at 350 pounds is an upgrade over G. Jackson ... and with Lewis eventually returning ... and Stanley playing reasonably well ... NT is actually not our weakest position.

The only reason Sam Baker is getting lambasted by the media is because he wears a falcon's insignia. He is probably the strongest and smartest of the first round offensive linemen ... with the most quality college experience. He will be the first or second linemen of this draft class to make a pro-bowl.

Weiner/Clabo at the other tackle spot is not a weakness either.

Our biggest weaskeness are ...

Strong Safety .... Milloy is our only solid vet .... whereas Coleman and Harris at free safety is not as concerning to me. Coleman is an upgrade over Crocker according to scout.com.

Under Tackle ... we are relying on two proven back-ups in moorehead/babs. If Babs continues to improve however ... he could become a legit starter this season.

Tight End ... I am kind of surprised we are willing to rely on one-dimensional blocking TEs from the bargain bin. Having at least one solid receiving TE can only help this team.

jm_falcons (7/13/2008)
1) OT

2) OG

3) C

Its not our Defense that concerns me. Its not even Redmon or Joey(Ryanis just a rookie but he will be a good one down the road). Our offensive line is horrible.

If your offensive line is bad...and trust me...our offensive line is bad. Your not going to have much success.

In fairness to our new managerial crew...there were not many options this year. Baker is an untested rookie....he is a long term work in progress. The 2nd year guy out of TX should show some improvement this year....hopefully. The center we got from Cincy is no better than our current center.

Optimisitically...there is always the chance that...

1) one of the newtight ends ends up being a heck of a blocker

2) Baker is just plain awesome...even as a rookie.

3) Blalock is no longer a rookie and it starts to show.

If the above happens...we could see 7 or 8 victories....sweet!

OTW...only 4 wins this year...but keep your head up...the team is back on track.

Of most importance...this new management team will know that the OL needs the help the most.

Though this is a popular sentiment .... I could not disagree more...

magnus -- SS may not be as weak as you think.  Milloy is healthy and he ain't chopped liver yet.  Picking up Deke Cooper kind'a flew under the radar, but he is a very solid backup to Milloy.  Darren Stone has alot of potential and I think that the recent incident may focus his attention on football.

Defensive Backs: Starters LCB Brent Grimes/Von Hutchins, SS Lawyer Milloy/Deke Cooper, FS Erik Coleman, RCB Chris Houston/Chevis Jackson. Backups CB Grimes/Hutchins, CB Houston/Jackson, FS Thomas DeCoud, SS Daren Stone, FS Antoine Harris, CB Wilrey Fontenot, David Irons.

Offensive Line: Starters LT Sam Baker, LG Justin Blalock, C Todd McClure, RG Harvey Dahl, RT Todd Weiner. Backups LT Quinn Ojinnaka, G/C Alex Stepanovich, Ben Wilkerson, G Kynan Forney, T Tyson Clabo.

Tight Ends: Starters Ben Hartsock, Martrez Milner. Backups Keith Zinger, Brad Listorti.

OT, OG, DT

I believe Joey Harrington, Chris Redman and Byron Leftwich would have looked much better given a better line.

Football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If you can keep your QB standing and the opposing team's QB on his but you will win football games. 

chifalc (7/13/2008)
bigduke633 (7/12/2008)
Coaching,quarterback and offensive tackle.

COaching? give it a rest. . .

gEEZ. .

Rooky head coaches make mistakes.Clock management,challengeing calls and penalties.Its a fact,doesnt mean he isnt going to be a good head coach.Rooky defensive coordinator,all the other coaches are learning about new players.Yes,we are behind in coaching compared to other teams with established staffs.

doc17mo (7/13/2008)
OT, OG, DT

I believe Joey Harrington, Chris Redman and Byron Leftwich would have looked much better given a better line.

Football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If you can keep your QB standing and the opposing team's QB on his but you will win football games. 

Hey, the line  magically started blocking better with Redman at the helm..... Just saying.....it's a little thing called "trust" with the OL and QB....just saying
trubirdfan4life (7/13/2008)
if LB is weak, we don't need to suit up because that is our strongest position on the team

hmm, you have a rookie, and a over-hyped player in Brooking. Williams is average.

You have a smoke and mirrors LB core, they're turrible. Your run D last year, even with Jackson and Coleman on the DL, was turrible.