Favre Return Is Heating Up

falconfansince66

LINK:

Favre-Packers spat to heat up

Posted: Wednesday July 09, 2008 07:21AM ET

We are early in what I can guarantee will be a very tumultuous month in the recurring Brett Favre will-he-or-won't-he saga, and what I can tell you for sure is this: No. 4 wants to play football again, and the Packers desperately do not want him to. Will he play? I don't know. I don't think he knows. He has, however, told coach Mike McCarthy he wants to return. The issue is going to be pressed soon. I fully expect Favre's agent to send a letter to the Packers within the next 10 days, stating that Favre, 38, wants to be taken off the National Football League's reserve/retired list. At that point, the team will have no choice but to re-admit the league's most accomplished statistical quarterback ever back to football, and general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy will have a decision to make that you can be sure is keeping them up nights.

They can take Favre and his $12.8-million cap number back onto the team and give him his starting job back, they can trade him or they can release him. Every one of those options makes the Packers wretch. I've been told an edgy McCarthy told Favre, in their most recent phone conversation a couple of weeks ago, the legendary quarterback would put the Packers in a tough spot by reneging on his March 6 retirement. Favre understands. But I don't think it's going to stop him from doing what his body tells him to do -- play football again.

I think he's more of a Southern kid at heart that can't get over the fact that he now has to stop what he's been doing his entire life. It got him to college, into the pros. He's spent his entire life playing the game. I'm sure it's hard to walk away.

It was not a good idea that we traded Farve away. Then again, hindsight is 20/20.

me4falcons (7/9/2008)
No brainer, You roll out the red carpet for Him and thank him for coming back.  Aaron Rogers can not give you what Farve can give you this year and next year. The packers were an Over time from being in the superbowl.

exactly. the entire reason you would play rodgers is to build towards a chance to win the superbowl in the future, but what the **** is the point of sacrificing a chance at it this year to serve that purpose? the logic holds no water to me. you bring favre back, you take another stab at it and see what happens. after this year, though, i think he finally needs to ride off into the sunset.

to be honest i wish hed just come back now, im just tired of the drama. when brett favre sending a text message to the packers GM is breaking news on ESPN you know something is wrong in the world.

but there is a part of me that just wishes favre and the packers organization had teamed up for the best inside joke of all time, and were just fu**ing around with ESPN to see how far theyd go in this, while all along favre had no intention of returning. i think that would be the funniest thing ever.

too bad its probably not true, but i think favre and the packers should give it a try sometime, maybe in a couple years after hes been retired for a bit.

Mr. Offseason (7/9/2008)
me4falcons (7/9/2008)
No brainer, You roll out the red carpet for Him and thank him for coming back. Aaron Rogers can not give you what Farve can give you this year and next year. The packers were an Over time from being in the superbowl.

exactly. the entire reason you would play rodgers is to build towards a chance to win the superbowl in the future, but what the **** is the point of sacrificing a chance at it this year to serve that purpose? the logic holds no water to me. you bring favre back, you take another stab at it and see what happens. after this year, though, i think he finally needs to ride off into the sunset.

to be honest i wish hed just come back now, im just tired of the drama. when brett favre sending a text message to the packers GM is breaking news on ESPN you know something is wrong in the world.

but there is a part of me that just wishes favre and the packers organization had teamed up for the best inside joke of all time, and were just fu**ing around with ESPN to see how far theyd go in this, while all along favre had no intention of returning. i think that would be the funniest thing ever.

too bad its probably not true, but i think favre and the packers should give it a try sometime, maybe in a couple years after hes been retired for a bit.

hahah that would be funny. Big middle finger to espn.

im glad im not the only one that thinks that would be hilarious. everyone i talk to is tired of the favre story, even packers fans are! they just want him back or retired, not in between. seeing as favre claims to hate being in the spotlight i think this joke would be perfect. he could just have his neises and other relatives send text messages to members of the packers organization and the local wisconsin newspapers to drum up breaking news stories daily. then someone could... say... report that he was practicing at a high school field...

oh wait that already happened, we need something original!

If I lived in Green Bay, I would be SOOOOOOO tired of this.  Yes, Favre is one of the greatest of all times, but you don't retire, then unretire, then retire and then unretire.  He is putting this whole franchise on hold, and effin up aaron rodgers' confidence. 

Magic Man (7/9/2008)
If I lived in Green Bay, I would be SOOOOOOO tired of this.  Yes, Favre is one of the greatest of all times, but you don't retire, then unretire, then retire and then unretire.  He is putting this whole franchise on hold, and effin up aaron rodgers' confidence. 

I'm sure the GB front office is tired of this as well, especially considering all the cash and expectations they have on Rodgers. Plus, they already drafted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn.

Magic Man (7/9/2008)

Retirement from a sport such as football usually happens when the player(s) involved cannot play consistently well, NOT right after they've played at a near all-time high level.  Sure, the guy was mentally and physically 'tired' after last season, ****, wouldn't you be to have given it your all just to lose a chance at playing in the SB by a missed field goal?  Now the way Favre's done this drama thing isn't the proper way to go at doing things, maybe he thought he was done back then but the 'dinner bell' for TC is ringing and Favre is just answering it as he usually does.  He's still got a couple of years left in him and if he chooses to play them out, then so be it.  Screw Aaron Rodgers, we're talking about one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game and he can dictate when/if he's entirely ready to quit/retire.

Statick (7/9/2008)
Magic Man (7/9/2008)

I'm sure the GB front office is tired of this as well, especially considering all the cash and expectations they have on Rodgers. Plus, they already drafted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn.

Are you serious....Brohm is on the Bench at GB...we haven't got a good look at Rodgers yet....

This just posted at ESPN.Com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3479723

Report: Murphy, Harlan believe Favre will stay retired

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 9, 2008, 1:00 PM ET

The current and former team presidents of the Green Bay Packers both believe that Brett Favre will remain retired, rather than come back for a hinted-at 18th season in the NFL, the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported.

Current team president and CEO Mark Murphy and chairman emeritus Bob Harlan, appearing at a charity auction in Fond Du Lac, Wis., as part of the team's "Tailgate Tour" through the state, said they took Favre at his word when he said in March that he was done with professional football.

"I keep going back to his retirement announcement and how sincere and heartfelt that was," Murphy said, according to the report. "I think it's pretty reasonable that, as an organization, we're going to move on."

"What I remember about him is he was ready to retire, and that's how I feel today," Harlan added, according to the newspaper. "I think down deep, that's exactly how he feels."

The Packers have yet to publicly address reports that Favre, who announced his retirement on March 6, again has "the itch" to play football.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last week that Favre had communicated his potential desire to return to coach Mike McCarthy, but that talks had not advanced to a substantive stage. And a Milwaukee television station reported that Favre and Packers GM Ted Thompson had exchanged text messages, with Thompson saying he would talk with Favre once he returned from a vacation.

Favre has not publicly commented on the speculation, other than telling the Sun Herald of Biloxi, Miss., that "it's all rumor" and that there was "no reason" for a media frenzy.

But Packers players and officials have fielded plenty of questions about Favre's potential return.

"We've had 5-year-old kids ask us about it," Murphy said, according to the Press-Gazette. "It's obviously on a lot of people's minds."

Neither Murphy nor Harlan has spoken with Favre since the latest round of speculation began, according to the report. But both men believe Favre's mind is not yet made up.

"No player leaves the game gracefully," Murphy said, according to the newspaper. "It's kind of the nature of what makes great players great, is they're competitors and they always want to compete and they want that next challenge, and it's hard to find that next thing that's going to give you that excitement and adrenaline. That's what we're seeing a little bit here."

Harlan, Murphy's predecessor as team president, agreed.

"It's tough to any competitor to walk away," Harlan said, according to the report. "Whether you talk [golfer] Jack Nicklaus or no matter who it is, when you've been at the top, it's tough to turn your back on it, so I'm not surprised at all. I think you'd almost be more surprised if it were the other way."

theyhateme (7/9/2008)
Statick (7/9/2008)
Magic Man (7/9/2008)

Are you serious....Brohm is on the Bench at GB...we haven't got a good look at Rodgers yet....

We? You're a GB fan?

And yes, I am serious. Usually when a team spends a second round draft pick on a QB like Brohm it usually signifies that they're looking at the kid as being a bonafide backup to their franchise QB, which in this case, is Rodgers.

Rodgers is a Tedford quarterback. Let's review the other Tedford QB's who played recently in the NFL...

Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller

Dilfer was the only one with any kind of success. Green Bay would be served well by bringing Favre back, trading Rodgers, and prepping Brohm as the QB of the future.

Read this if you want to understand what being a Tedford QB means...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Comme...dglin042105.htm

They don't throw the ball downfield a lot in Tedford's offense. Look at Joey Harrington now. He doesn t keep his eyes downfield. He looks to dump everything off. He gets impatient in the pocket. Akili Smith only had one good year of football, and it was with Tedford (then at Oregon State). Tedford simplifies the game and gets so much out of his quarterbacks. No one in the NFL has been able to get the same out of them as he has."

And that was written three years ago.

falconfansince66 (7/9/2008)

LINK:

We are early in what I can guarantee will be a very tumultuous month in the recurring Brett Favre will-he-or-won't-he saga, and what I can tell you for sure is this: No. 4 wants to play football again, and the Packers desperately do not want him to. Will he play? I don't know. I don't think he knows. He has, however, told coach Mike McCarthy he wants to return. The issue is going to be pressed soon. I fully expect Favre's agent to send a letter to the Packers within the next 10 days, stating that Favre, 38, wants to be taken off the National Football League's reserve/retired list. At that point, the team will have no choice but to re-admit the league's most accomplished statistical quarterback ever back to football, and general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy will have a decision to make that you can be sure is keeping them up nights.

They can take Favre and his $12.8-million cap number back onto the team and give him his starting job back, they can trade him or they can release him. Every one of those options makes the Packers wretch. I've been told an edgy McCarthy told Favre, in their most recent phone conversation a couple of weeks ago, the legendary quarterback would put the Packers in a tough spot by reneging on his March 6 retirement. Favre understands. But I don't think it's going to stop him from doing what his body tells him to do -- play football again.

I just had an epiphany. THIS is the Madden curse. He DESPERATELY wants to play, but the Madden curse denies him the chance.

Legendary12 (7/9/2008)

LINK:

I just had an epiphany. THIS is the Madden curse. He DESPERATELY wants to play, but the Madden curse denies him the chance.

haha...that's what i was telling a friend a while back...

Screw Aaron Rodgers, we're talking about one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game and he can dictate when/if he's entirely ready to quit/retire.

Unfortunately for Brett, it's not just up to him.  GB doesn't really want to bring him back.  He's gonna come back, retire in the offseason, and as you say, he's gonna answer the dinner bell for camp again, and the whole cycle starts over.  IMO, go home, go golf, open a car dealership, or a restaurant and move on. He was a great QB in the NFL, but his time has passed, because he elected to let it pass by crying at his press conference and saying he had nothing left to give to the game.  Brett retired, and you can't mulligan your retirement