Falcons scrap Midtown Touchdown

That sucks. I had always been out of town or busy the last 2 times. I was looking forward to going this year since I live close.

Falcons scrap Midtown fan festival

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/08/08

The Falcons have scrapped their annual Midtown Touchdown Fan Fest at Piedmont Park after two seasons and replaced the interactive event with a simulated game that is open to the public at the Georgia Dome, Aug. 2.

The night preceding the game at their home stadium, Atlanta will stage a public scrimmage at Mill Creek High School in Hochston.

The change in routine was announced along with their training camp schedule Tuesday.

The Falcons will open training camp July 26 and conclude Aug. 15. Most of the practices, especially in the first two weeks of training camp, will be open to the public at the team's Flowery Branch facility, free of charge.

prolikewhoa (7/9/2008)
That sucks. I had always been out of town or buy the last 2 times. I was looking forward to going since I live close.

By STEVE WYCHE

The Falcons have scrapped their annual Midtown Touchdown Fan Fest at Piedmont Park after two seasons and replaced the interactive event with a simulated game that is open to the public at the Georgia Dome, Aug. 2.

The night preceding the game at their home stadium, Atlanta will stage a public scrimmage at Mill Creek High School in Hochston.

The change in routine was announced along with their training camp schedule Tuesday.

The Falcons will open training camp July 26 and conclude Aug. 15. Most of the practices, especially in the first two weeks of training camp, will be open to the public at the team's Flowery Branch facility, free of charge.

Watering restrictions at Piedmont Park had a lot to do with this. But, the team replaced the event with two similar events, one at the Georgia Dome which has on-field skill competition for fans, a simulated game and tours. There's also an event the night before at Mill Creek High School. Here's a link with more info:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Russell...ss_Weekend.aspx

J. Michael Moore (7/9/2008)
prolikewhoa (7/9/2008)
That sucks. I had always been out of town or buy the last 2 times. I was looking forward to going since I live close.

By STEVE WYCHE

Watering restrictions at Piedmont Park had a lot to do with this. But, the team replaced the event with two similar events, one at the Georgia Dome which has on-field skill competition for fans, a simulated game and tours. There's also an event the night before at Mill Creek High School. Here's a link with more info:

"ROME THE DOME" sounds sweet....I'll definately be there.  Did it give a start time?

theyhateme (7/9/2008)
prolikewhoa (7/9/2008)

By STEVE WYCHE

"ROME THE DOME" sounds sweet....I'll definately be there.  Did it give a start time?

Ok...I see it starts a 12 noon.

The Falcons want to show off the improvements at the Dome.  There was a lot of money spent to make the place feel more like the home of the Falcons.  Plus I am sure that they will be attempting to sell a few more season tickets, after all it is a business. 

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I will be there for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Rome the Dome sitting in my seats.  I am a first time season ticket holder and I am looking forward to the event.

Homer Dude Man (7/9/2008)

The Falcons want to show off the improvements at the Dome.  There was a lot of money spent to make the place feel more like the home of the Falcons.  Plus I am sure that they will be attempting to sell a few more season tickets, after all it is a business. 

I will be there for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Rome the Dome sitting in my seats.  I am a first time season ticket holder and I am looking forward to the event.

Cool!!! :)

I'd much rather watch at home....for some strange reason.

theyhateme (7/9/2008)

I know what you mean about the comforts of home!  I finished my basement off about 6 years ago and have watched every Falcon game (except the blackouts from last season) from my comfortable theater seats in front of the 65 HD widescreen.  The bathrooms are closer, the beer is cheaper and it is a short walk up the steps to be back with the family.  However, this season I wanted to continue my late granddad s tradition of being a season ticket holder (not to mention the fear of blackouts). 

I am very much looking forward to the tailgating before the games, the raising of Cain during the game, and watching a team that has nowhere to go but up.

Statick (7/9/2008)
logic (7/9/2008)
Bad move..This was a classic event

"The Falcons have scrapped their annual Midtown Touchdown Fan Fest at Piedmont Park after two seasons..."

Two seasons are considered "classic" now?

I think the word "unprecedented" would be better suited.  How many other NFL teams have an event like the Midtown Touchdown?  We went both years and even in bad weather we had a blast and it was a really cool event.

theyhateme (7/9/2008)

I know what you mean about the comforts of home!  I finished my basement off about 6 years ago and have watched every Falcon game (except the blackouts from last season) from my comfortable theater seats in front of the 65 HD widescreen.  The bathrooms are closer, the beer is cheaper and it is a short walk up the steps to be back with the family.  However, this season I wanted to continue my late granddad s tradition of being a season ticket holder (not to mention the fear of blackouts). 

I am very much looking forward to the tailgating before the games, the raising of Cain during the game, and watching a team that has nowhere to go but up.

Awww Man!! Now that sounds like some real fun....Dang you brought back some memories...I sure hope we don't have to go through that "black-out" era again....:angry:

prolikewhoa (7/9/2008)

By STEVE WYCHE

Yess Sir, the Peachtree Road Race had to be redirected, the Dogwood Festival was moved and any other large events at the park are cancelled due to the drought.

[quote

Awww Man!! Now that sounds like some real fun....Dang you brought back some memories...I sure hope we don't have to go through that "black-out" era again....:angry:

C'mon man.... stop pulling that "CARD" Have we travelled so far only to realize that we still have an even LONGER journey to go???  

LOL...J/K T.H.M.

Delosky (7/9/2008)
Statick (7/9/2008)
logic (7/9/2008)

"The Falcons have scrapped their annual Midtown Touchdown Fan Fest at Piedmont Park after two seasons..."

Two seasons are considered "classic" now?

I think the word "unprecedented" would be better suited.  How many other NFL teams have an event like the Midtown Touchdown?  We went both years and even in bad weather we had a blast and it was a really cool event.

A long time ago, I am talking about the Swamp Fox era and the Dan I wish I was an offensive genius Henning era, just to mention a few, I use to turn the antenna towards <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Chattanooga and watch the blacked out games on a snowing, graining poor picture. Sometimes you could barely see the football go through the uprights.  Hopefully the blackouts will be few and far between.  I believe in the next year or two, the Falcons will have another waiting list for season tickets.

f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
[quote

C'mon man.... stop pulling that "CARD" Have we travelled so far only to realize that we still have an even LONGER journey to go???  

LOL...J/K T.H.M.

No harm intended....no hidden agendas...etc....but I think with the additional of Ryan, Turner, L. Robinson, Douglas and the potential of Roddy....we might be able to see MOST of the games on TV....you think?  ;)

theyhateme (7/9/2008)
f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
[quote

LOL...J/K T.H.M.

No harm intended....no hidden agendas...etc....but I think with the additional of Ryan, Turner, L. Robinson, Douglas and the potential of Roddy....we might be able to see MOST of the games on TV....you think?  ;)

Oh I know, you are good man.  But I doubt it considering the lack of season tix renewals from people that I know personally.... and then the availability of Tix as well as general lack of interest.  This Roam at the Dome will be Telling.  We KNOW what turnout has been like in the past... and we won't have the Weather as an excuse.....  But yeah unless Blank buys the regular season tix up or some corp sponsor..... I see 8 blackouts in 08.  You would think that with so many people that were anti-Old QB that it would have translated into NEW season tix holders once the prior ones gave up their seats.... but I guess it's easier to Bash for free on blogs and online than to actually pay to go to the games and spend your coin.

f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
theyhateme (7/9/2008)
f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
[quote

LOL...J/K T.H.M.

Oh I know, you are good man.  But I doubt it considering the lack of season tix renewals from people that I know personally.... and then the availability of Tix as well as general lack of interest.  This Roam at the Dome will be Telling.  We KNOW what turnout has been like in the past... and we won't have the Weather as an excuse.....  But yeah unless Blank buys the regular season tix up or some corp sponsor..... I see 8 blackouts in 08.  You would think that with so many people that were anti-Old QB that it would have translated into NEW season tix holders once the prior ones gave up their seats.... but I guess it's easier to Bash for free on blogs and online than to actually pay to go to the games and spend your coin.

No way...the Saints always sellout...thats atleast one....for sure!!:cool:

theyhateme (7/9/2008)
f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
theyhateme (7/9/2008)
f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
[quote

LOL...J/K T.H.M.

We shall see....  but BABY steps.  Let's observe the Attendance at the FREE indoor event at the Dome.  If the crowd is sparse at best... then I think you will have your barometer.  I mean how packed at the signing deal at the Mall this year compared to years past?

f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
theyhateme (7/9/2008)
f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
theyhateme (7/9/2008)
f.i.l.a. (7/9/2008)
[quote

LOL...J/K T.H.M.

We shall see....  but BABY steps.  Let's observe the Attendance at the FREE indoor event at the Dome.  If the crowd is sparse at best... then I think you will have your barometer.  I mean how packed at the signing deal at the Mall this year compared to years past?

I didn't go, but from what I gathered, it was about the same as usual...I think the event at the Dome should be very nice...I still don't know what this "simulated game" is all about....:cool:

Statick (7/9/2008)
logic (7/9/2008)

Two seasonsare considered "classic" now?

Guess it was like the tennis match between nadal and fedarer. The very next night it was shown on espn classic. They called it a Instant Classic :D