What we need is a Herschel Walker-esque trade deal with Vick

LOUISVILLEfan

I know it's probably not gonna happen, but the current circumstances are similar to what the Cowboys faced when Jimmy Johnson took over.  Some of you young guys probably don't remember but at the time they were flat-out horrible.  What did they do?  They drafted the Golden Boy Aikman and then landed the most lopsided trade of all time by sending Herschel to the Vikings.  Even the great JJ took 3 years to do anything though.  That's what we should expect here at minimum. 

Is there another sucker team out there willing to make a trade like that with Vick?  Kansas City and Detroit come to mind. 

Can anyone explain to me the logic for Vick still being on the team - other than trade bait? 

He's on the team because he's suspended and can't be dealt around.

No team will trade for him right now. He still has to serve a Virginia state sentence behind this one, and no telling how long the NFL suspends him for so a team doesn't know how many years they will even get him, much less know what to trade for him.

Bill Cox (7/8/2008)
I know it's probably not gonna happen, but the current circumstances are similar to what the Cowboys faced when Jimmy Johnson took over.  Some of you young guys probably don't remember but at the time they were flat-out horrible.  What did they do?  They drafted the Golden Boy Aikman and then landed the most lopsided trade of all time by sending Herschel to the Vikings.  Even the great JJ took 3 years to do anything though.  That's what we should expect here at minimum. 

Is there another sucker team out there willing to make a trade like that with Vick?  Kansas City and Detroit come to mind. 

Can anyone explain to me the logic for Vick still being on the team - other than trade bait? 

Trade bait sounds good to me...just don't let him go to the NFC South...:pinch:

Bill Cox (7/8/2008)

In a trade the other team assumes his enormous salary contract.  No one can use him right now since he is in jail and that would be a waste of cap space to pay that much knowing he would not be able to perform even if there are not any rules regarding a suspended player involved in a trade.

The reason we do not cut him now is because it would be a hit of about 20% of the cap space of his remaining unamortized bonus.

falconfansince66 (7/8/2008)
A Walker-sized trade for a convicted felon? Now THAT'S funny right there, I don't care who you are! :hehe::w00t::D:):P

So I am not alone in my laughing.

How many times will the Herschel Walker trade be brought up as a feasible option for ANY team and ANY player? How many times has a trade like that occurred since? ZERO. It will never happen again, at least not with a salary cap in place.

phattywankenobi (7/8/2008)[hr

The reason we do not cut him now is because it would be a hit of about 20% of the cap space of his remaining unamortized bonus.

If I understand correctly, you're saying only a portion of his bonus money is counting toward the cap this year and the remaining is prorated over the coming years?  If that's the case then it all makes sense. 

Bill Cox (7/8/2008)

If I understand correctly, you're saying only a portion of his bonus money is counting toward the cap this year and the remaining is prorated over the coming years?  If that's the case then it all makes sense. 

He has about 14.9M left unamortized.  If he is designated a June 1st cut next year then I believe that years prorated amount is around 4.9M and then the remaining 10M would hit the following year.  In a sense there has been some savings because his salary does not count while he is suspended.

phattywankenobi (7/8/2008)
Bill Cox (7/8/2008)

He has about 14.9M left unamortized.  If he is designated a June 1st cut next year then I believe that years prorated amount is around 4.9M and then the remaining 10M would hit the following year.  In a sense there has been some savings because his salary does not count while he is suspended.

2010 = Cap Free Year right??  Does this figure in to the equation??

couldn't get a bologna sandwich for MV7 at this point or in the future........His time here is done, thus do the honorable time and release him once he is released from prison.....Falcons can move on, Fans can move on, and Vick can move on......

Hey why stop at football trades? 

Why don't we trade Vick for all of Korea's nuclear weapons?  I'm sure Kim Jong Il will go for it. 

Or maybe we can trade Vick to Al Quaeda for Osama Bin Laden.

Oil for Vick would be better in Iraq than Oil for Food!

Insert more below:

Mr. Offseason (7/8/2008)
Bill Cox (7/8/2008)
I know it's probably not gonna happen 

thats as far as i read, because i had a feeling, just a feeling, that it would take a turn for the unrealistic after that. you were on the right track and then...

I agree but there are a lot of people on here who'd give a arm or leg for the guy.  Maybe Matt Millen would do the same.