so these "experts" say...

gage (7/5/2008)
they say we'll end up 1-15 because of the things that happened last yr....but we didnt even have the worst record in the league or conference last season so tell me how this makes sense

It doesn't have to make sense, it's the MEDIA.  The Falcons have always been bad in their books/minds/etc.  It goes way back to when we really were an expansion team.  They're just following their natural course and history.

The national media has to print something & is too lazy to keep up w/ the Falcons.

The only thing most of them know about the Falcons (sans ATL beat writers) is that the Falcons are in rebuilding mode.

To them, so far we look like an expansion team this yr.

So they put us @ the bottom.

I'm counting the days until TC, etc football.gif

gage (7/5/2008)
they say we'll end up 1-15 because of the things that happened last yr....but we didnt even have the worst record in the league or conference last season so tell me how this makes sense

The team has been totally dismantled with your 3rd head coach in as many years. I was saying 5-11 until I saw all the moves you made. You'll have new players at close to half of the positions not to mention entirely new schemes on both sides of the ball. Plus until this past season your drafts have absolutely sucked. Give it time though, if Turner and Ryan turn out to be the real deal you'll be back in the mix in no time. Just not this season.

the "experts" see all the changes in personnel and the youth movement and think "expantion team" when in reality most of the change in personnel and coaching staff was due to the fact that those players and or coaches just were not that good to begin with. Look how many released players are still out of work. also there is no other angle to report on. MV is old news, no disgruntled players (other than joe horn wanting out) just a workman like aproach to the work at hand, playing football, geting better as a team, signing draft picks, etc.

emt861 (7/5/2008)
the "experts" see all the changes in personnel and the youth movement and think "expantion team" when in reality most of the change in personnel and coaching staff was due to the fact that those players and or coaches just were not that good to begin with. Look how many released players are still out of work. also there is no other angle to report on. MV is old news, no disgruntled players (other than joe horn wanting out) just a workman like aproach to the work at hand, playing football, geting better as a team, signing draft picks, etc.

Probably not a popular point of view, but here goes:

Some of the 'experts' are actually pretty sound. They make logical and intelligent summations of what to expect. Not only are the Falcons victims of 2 debacles (MV and Quitter Boy), but they have made wholesale changes in their personnel and now have a completely new coaching staff for the 2nd year in a row. What this says to me is that you have a group of coaches and a group of players who, each in their own right, are pro quality performers. However, they have yet to function as a team. It takes time to gel. The Falcons should improve as the year goes on, simply from learning how to play together. That said, I still think 1-15 is a reach. I would love to see them go 6-10, but again you have to realize that the other teams have also made trades and signings to improve themselves. Thus, if ATL finishes 4-12 again, I will not be unhappy. 6-10, I think would be admirable. To finish 8-8 would, IMO, be cause for a SB caliber celebration.

gage (7/5/2008)

just focus on what the foulcons show you. when it all said and done then you'll have a better understanding

gage (7/5/2008)
they say we'll end up 1-15because of the things that happened last yr....but we didnt even have the worst record in the league or conference lastseason so tell me how this makes sense
Just asking, but where is the immediate & guaranteed improvement at? IMO, we've got more question marks now than we did at the end of last season.

We've added players, and I like a lot of the additions, but most of those additions do have major question marks with them.

Really can't blame them in their predictions. They look at things neutrally, and not through the fans eyes.

I don't think we go 1 - 15, IMO the chance of that happening is about as good as us going 13-3. But if I were to try and look at things neutrally, looking at our additions & subtractions, the new staff, and the aura we've had lately, I think I'd put us on the bottom of the charts too. From a fans perspective though, I think we should go somewhere between 6-10 & 9-7.

Robb4242 (7/5/2008)
gage (7/5/2008)
they say we'll end up 1-15because of the things that happened last yr....but we didnt even have the worst record in the league or conference lastseason so tell me how this makes sense
Just asking, but where is the immediate & guaranteed improvement at? IMO, we've got more question marks now than we did at the end of last season.

We've added players, and I like a lot of the additions, but most of those additions do have major question marks with them.

Really can't blame them in their predictions. They look at things neutrally, and not through the fans eyes.

I don't think we go 1 - 15, IMO the chance of that happening is about as good as us going 13-3. But if I were to try and look at things neutrally, looking at our additions & subtractions, the new staff, and the aura we've had lately, I think I'd put us on the bottom of the charts too. From a fans perspective though, I think we should go somewhere between 6-10 & 9-7.

Because many of the things that are question marks now were absolute negatives last season,.

gage (7/5/2008)

IT DOESN'T GAGE. LET'EM PREDICT. TRUST ME, WE HAVE NEVER BEEN 1-15, AND WE NEVER WILL! GO BACK AND SEE WHAT ALL THEY PREDICTED LAST YEAR AROUND THE WHOLE NFL. THEY AREN'T EVEN BATTING .500. THAT'S WHY WE PLAY THE GAME. TALK IS ONE THING ...... THE GAME'S ANOTHER. I'LL TRUST IN THE GAMES ..... NOT THE PREDICTIONS.:D

gage (7/5/2008)

they based their analogy on our statistics and how well we address each statistical catagory that made us susceptible to other teams.

here's a list of each of our statistical catagories and where we rank:

offense -  pts   yds   pass yds   rush yds

16.2 301   206   95

rank - 29th  23rd  18th   26th

defense - pts  yds pass yds   rush yds  

25.9 355.5 228 127

rank -  29th   29th  23rd 26th 

if u notice, on offense we were more susceptible rushing against teams. here's w.dunn stats:

carries   yds  yards per carry tds

227 720 3.2   4

by signing michael turner he will bring up our pts and yds ranking because of the power and speed he brings and norwood should get more carries under coach smith. we should have taken a qb in the later rds since we were least susceptible at that position.

they predict us to go 1-15 because we ignored our biggest weakness which is at the defensive tkle position. even if we put the whole defense on the field we couldn't stop anyone from running the ball down our throats.

also u have to factor in all the rbs that  our weak defense will be going up against. take a look:

carnell williams(bucs), larry johnson(cheifs), deangelo william & jonathan stewart(panthers), ryan grant(packers), Brain westbrook(eagles), darren mcfadden(raiders), deuce mcallister & reggie bush(saints), ladainian tomlinson(chargers), adrian peterson(viking), steven jackson(rams) and rookie kelvin smith(lions).

i believe we will beat denver, chicago and maybe detroit. teams that goes against the book in building a successful team are usually unsuccessful. since 1972 dallas won 4 sbs, pittsburgh 5 sbs, miami 2 sbs, okland 3 sbs, san fran 5 sbs, washington 3 sbs, giants 3 sbs, denver 2 sbs and new england 3 sbs.

the falcons have been in the league for 41 years but still havn't learn how to build a sb winning team.

gage (7/5/2008)

BUT HEY!!! They picked Carolina to be their NFC darlings yet again and they have had 2 back-to-back Losing seasons :w00t:

Sports Media is like Weathermen -- tell you it's a sunny day while you stand in the pouring rain :hehe:

gage (7/5/2008)

Media "experts" can put whatever spin they want on any issue. All they need is an outlet and an audience. For years, it has seemed like the media enjoys ganging up on the teams and the fans in Atlanta. We have not created a "winning culture" in this city yet. No matter how bad a patriots season is, they'll never get the offseason and preseason negative press that we do because they have more of a "winning culture" than we do. It doesn't have to make sense...just noise.

Lets not forget a few facts.

We have a Real NFL Coach again.

Guaranteed that Redman is not going to just hand the ball to Ryan,

Redman is and will make the most of his second chance in the NFL.

We have Football People at the Helm.

Will there be dissapointments? YES

Will the be nice supprises? Yup

The thing is how the Team and Lineman gel over the course of the season.

Only one cry baby remains and hopefully the team will stuff him in a locker

come game time.