If Ryan Starts week one...

ol'_dirty2 (7/5/2008)
IS our record better than the "experts" predict or about the same if Matt is the guy from the jump? Opinions?

Hard to say at this point.  I'd like to see Ryan starting Game 1 because he does need to start gaining experience and that's best done on the gridiron where you can learn from your mistakes.  I'm sure our record will be better than the 1-15 some of those experts are predicting for us though.  As long as we show improvement during the season, address the shortcoming via FA and the draft next year, I can see us making great strides and becoming a very good team in 2009/2010.

If he wins the job in training camp and is the best QB on the team then I say start him from now on....The only QB with experience in the NFL is Joey, Redman has just a few games under his belt and was out of football for a while....so throw the experience issue out (unless you want Joey) and let the best man start.

I'd prefer not to start Ryan right away.  No matter who the QB is, he's likely going to have a rough time behind the OL at the beginning of the season.  We've seen what happens to some QB's who get killed behind a poor OL (David Carr and, to a large degree, Joey Harrington), and I'd rather we give the OL time to gel before Ryan's health depends on them.

joremari (7/5/2008)
this is easy. no matter who our starter is we are going to win more then 1 game. heck we won 4 times that many last year and no way are we worse off now then last year.

we're projected to win 4-5 games.

ppl that say 1 game are idiots and they dont even know how to spell football

miKevicK777 (7/5/2008)
joremari (7/5/2008)
this is easy. no matter who our starter is we are going to win more then 1 game. heck we won 4 times that many last year and no way are we worse off now then last year.

i have yet to see one projection having us win 4-5 games. everything i have seen, including the writers from our own AJC, have us going 1-15 and picking first. ESPN, CBSsportsline, AJC, Sportnews, etc...

but seriously, does it really matter how many games we win if we dont make the playoffs?

i could careless if we win 3 or 8 games, as long as oour players develop. winning 8 games would be great but it depends how we win them.

im pretty confident that we can make the playoffs if we win 10 games, which is highly unlikely.

i just want to get to the playoffs, wild card or not, for a chance at the trophy.

its not like im going to ditch the falcons if we have another bad season; another bad season is not going to discourge me, ill always look foward to the football season as a falcons fan.

joremari (7/5/2008)
miKevicK777 (7/5/2008)
joremari (7/5/2008)

i have yet to see one projection having us win 4-5 games. everything i have seen, including the writers from our own AJC, have us going 1-15 and picking first. ESPN, CBSsportsline, AJC, Sportnews, etc...

the real "experts" are the people that make money off of these things. if u go on any sports books, ull find that the over/under for the falcons wins this season is around 4.5 . and the odds are favired so that it will be over.

ol'_dirty2 (7/5/2008)
IS our record better than the "experts" predict or about the same if Matt is the guy from the jump? Opinions?
I honestly believe that he's the best QB on our roster. We'll win some "impossible" games and everyone around him will play better. He'll pad some stats and Turner/Norwood/Brown/Mughelli will take some pressure off of him.
miKevicK777 (7/5/2008)
but seriously, does it really matter how many games we win if we dont make the playoffs?

i could careless if we win 3 or 8 games, as long as oour players develop. winning 8 games would be great but it depends how we win them.

im pretty confident that we can make the playoffs if we win 10 games, which is highly unlikely.

i just want to get to the playoffs, wild card or not, for a chance at the trophy.

its not like im going to ditch the falcons if we have another bad season; another bad season is not going to discourge me, ill always look foward to the football season as a falcons fan.

How many games we win matters from an evaluative standpoint. I want to see what kind of quality we have this year, regardless of who's playing. Over the past few seasons especially, I've noticed when our players go down with injuries, so do our chances to win games. Why is that? Other teams have that next guy that can step up and make plays at any position. I want us to move towards that. This year, I'll be looking to see what kind of progress we're making in that department.

Remarkable (7/5/2008)
pured-hallfan (7/5/2008)
I say the longer Redman starts the better I have us at 8-9 wins this season either way with a possibilty of more if Redman stays in charge

8-9...quite the optimist.

THERE AREN'T BUT 16 REG. SEASON GAMES. 8-9 WOULD MEAN WE LOST THE WILD CARD GAME. OK I CAN LIVE WITH THIS.:D

If Ryan starts week one, it's going to be a very long season in my opinion.  Peyton started week 1 and the Colts went 3-13 that season.  Rook's are not ready to start week 1 no matter how good they will end up being.  Roethlisberger was the only QB I can remember performing at a high level in his first season, he started week 3, and he had a Pittsburgh defense and running game making his life MUCH MUCH easier.  Ryan would not have that luxury.  I do think we will be improved, but we won't be at the level the 2004 Steelers were in either category.  They had a great OL, a good running game, and a great defense.  We will be fortunate to have a mediocre level of play from those 3 facets. 

If he starts week 1, I will be pulling for a win every week and I'd still be hoping for playoffs.  That being said, trying to be non-biased, I couldn't expect any of those with a rook behind center and our personnel.

REV.2000 (7/6/2008)
Remarkable (7/5/2008)
pured-hallfan (7/5/2008)
I say the longer Redman starts the better I have us at 8-9 wins this season either way with a possibilty of more if Redman stays in charge

8-9...quite the optimist.

THERE AREN'T BUT 16 REG. SEASON GAMES. 8-9 WOULD MEAN WE LOST THE WILD CARD GAME. OK I CAN LIVE WITH THIS.:D

hehe, read the post again - he's talking about 8 or 9 wins in the season - not a win loss ratio of 8-9 ;-)

GEORGIAfan (7/6/2008)
I think Ryan should not play his 1st year. I want him to study that playbook, and know it like the back of his head. if its 2nd nature, then he will be his best.

Unless we are undefeated (or a real solid start) by week 8, I bet he starts games by them. As much as he needs to "study" I think that would be a waste if he doesnt play much this season. Plus after week 8 they have 3 straight home games...which could be helpful.