Thomas Decoud made J. Will expendable?

square_black.gif Sources tell PFW that the new Falcons coaching staff was never very high on FS Jimmy Williams. When he showed a lack of commitment by arriving at minicamp overweight, the decision to release him became a much easier one to make. The impressive showing by rookie FS Thomas DeCoud in OTAs also helped to make Williams, the team s top draft pick in 2006, expendable.
bigduke633 (7/4/2008)
I dont know that it wasnt more jimmys doing than anybody elses.Hes always had the tools.Its the software he doesnt have.
I do agree that Jimmy is to blame for his release, interesting though that Decoud was mentioned as a partial reason
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
The Falcon Ace (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
jwills attitude and approach to the game made him expendable.

Fixed

no, its not fixed and i meant what i said

I just don't understand how someone knowing a player or having played with a player before would have anything to do with the player's evaluation.

VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

I just don't understand how someone knowing a player or having played with a player before would have anything to do with the player's evaluation.

It doesn't Ace....some people just want it to...

I guess everybody that played with ray carruth needs to be let go....

imo: falcons trading up to get jwill had to had been influenced by vick.  mv and jwill were tight.  falcons obviously want to cut ties with the mv image. 

to cut a 2nd rounder after 27 games is a bit of a rush.  i would say his evaluation is incomplete- even if he showed up with a bad attitude and overweight.

VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

alnaba78 (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

believe me alnaba wish it werent the case. 

thats a poor comparison to carruth.

VTCrunkler (7/5/2008)
alnaba78 (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

May not be a good compare...but Ace is right...

alnaba78 (7/5/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/5/2008)
alnaba78 (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

May not be a good compare...but Ace is right...

im not convinced that ace is right.  jwills relationship with mv certainly did not help his case when he came up on the chopping block

VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
imo: falcons trading up to get jwill had to had been influenced by vick. mv and jwill were tight. falcons obviously want to cut ties with the mv image.

to cut a 2nd rounder after 27 games is a bit of a rush. i would say his evaluation is incomplete- even if he showed up with a bad attitude and overweight.

VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

so according to you we should rather cut a 5th rounder that is busting his nuts off every day instead of a bum who can't even stay in shape or get his head straight?

I don't care where your drafted if your not a rookie. If you commit you stay, if not don't let the door hit you.

falconchef (7/5/2008)
J Will was arrested for pot, couldn't crack the starting lineup at either of TWO positions for either of TWO coaching regimes and showed up out of shape for the third regime.  His ties to Vick had nothing to do with him getting released. 

True, but you can look at it like this as well.  Both have similar character traits, so his release is tied to Mr. Humane Society in that regard.:w00t:

muskokas finest (7/5/2008)
Jimmy Williams made it easy to cut him, no matter who else we had in camp

Here, Here!!  Instead of smoking it up, cleaning the fridge and pantry, J-Will could have made a commitment towards running twice a day, hitting the gym, and above all, commiting himself towards earning a starting position.  If he'd done this, chances are he'd still be here and 'earning' a paycheck, no matter what his ties were with YKW. 

Underachievers are usually given ample oppurtunities at this level but how many oppurtunities are underachievers supposed to be given, especially those who don't even give an honest effort or commitment?

squirreldawg (7/5/2008)
falconchef (7/5/2008)
J Will was arrested for pot, couldn't crack the starting lineup at either of TWO positions for either of TWO coaching regimes and showed up out of shape for the third regime.  His ties to Vick had nothing to do with him getting released. 

True, but you can look at it like this as well.  Both have similar character traits, so his release is tied to Mr. Humane Society in that regard.:w00t:

WTF???? Although vick off the field issue are well documented. When he was on the field he was a playmaker who gave us a chance to win just by being on the field. Also you can tell that he did not like to losing at all. I like players who don't just accept losing.

VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

It matters when that person still supports and sympathizes with the jailed player. Deangelo was the same. It's not what got them sent off, but you can bet people weren't happy about them. Roddy took alot of ##### for his free Vick shirt but he is also a good player and keeps his mouth shut. that's the difference.

But don't kid yourself, being friends with Vick doesn't help your image.

now youre putting words into my mouth. the right move was made by cutting him

romfal (7/5/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
imo: falcons trading up to get jwill had to had been influenced by vick. mv and jwill were tight. falcons obviously want to cut ties with the mv image.

to cut a 2nd rounder after 27 games is a bit of a rush. i would say his evaluation is incomplete- even if he showed up with a bad attitude and overweight.

VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

so according to you we should rather cut a 5th rounder that is busting his nuts off every day instead of a bum who can't even stay in shape or get his head straight?

I don't care where your drafted if your not a rookie. If you commit you stay, if not don't let the door hit you.

scott hartley (7/5/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

It matters when that person still supports and sympathizes with the jailed player. Deangelo was the same. It's not what got them sent off, but you can bet people weren't happy about them. Roddy took alot of ##### for his free Vick shirt but he is also a good player and keeps his mouth shut. that's the difference.

agreed

VTCrunkler (7/5/2008)
scott hartley (7/5/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

agreed

VT has a good point, we are trying to get past MV, that is one of the reasons that we drafted Matt Ryan to be the face of the franchise. The fact that Jimmy was good friends with him hurt him because to them that is a cancer.

thankyou ballin, i thought it was pretty obvious that we are cleaning house and all ties.

again, falcons most likely made the right move by cutting him- but the cut seemed premature

ballin in atl (7/5/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/5/2008)
scott hartley (7/5/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)
VTCrunkler (7/4/2008)

Fixed

agreed

VT has a good point, we are trying to get past MV, that is one of the reasons that we drafted Matt Ryan to be the face of the franchise. The fact that Jimmy was good friends with him hurt him because to them that is a cancer.