Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jon

WHO WOULD BE THE QUARTERBACK IN 2009?

29 posts in this topic

Mike Vick when he comes out of jail this year, Matt Ryan the rookie or DJ Shockley?????

well I am going to assume that you mean Ryan's 2nd yr. So that would be an interesting question with several variables.

1. does Vick serve any more suspension by Goodell

2.what kind of football shape is Vick in when he gets out.

3. Does the FO of Atlanta want him and his tarnished image back

4. how well does Ryan play his rookie year.

4. which one do they fell fits the overall game plan better.

I just don't see us ever putting Vick back at QB. I'd prefer him to Ryan, but no way we keep two super expensive QB's on the roster and give the role to the one with the tarnished image.

it would be funny if DJ Shockley takes us to a NFC Champion like Mike Vick did when he had a bad injury before.

ugadawg (7/3/2008)
well I am going to assume that you mean Ryan's 2nd yr. So that would be an interesting question with several variables.

1. does Vick serve any more suspension by Goodell

2.what kind of football shape is Vick in when he gets out.

3. Does the FO of Atlanta want him and his tarnished image back

4. how well does Ryan play his rookie year.

4. which one do they fell fits the overall game plan better.

1. Vick hasn't started any suspension by Goodell yet. That is something that will be addressed once he is not behind bars.

2. He should have time to get into some decent football shape once he's out, while he is serving his suspension.

3. No

4. Doesn't matter.

5. Doesn't matter.

First and fore most lets not forget... Vick hasnt faced state charges from Va yet. He wont face them until his fed sentence is over.

Id love to have Vick on the same team as Ryan. But facts is facts. Ryans contract says he is the man. Vick will probably end up a raider since they love to take chances. But even if Vick stayed a falcon he would be backup. We our building a young new team around a different style of QB.

Only reason i see blank keeping Vick is if something happened to Ryan like a bad injury. But thats a reach. vick has probably wore his last falcon uniform. The VICK DAYS ARE GONE AND ALMOST NO ONE IS LEFT.

I loved Vick as a falcon, Im from Va and so it was good seeing a hometown guy make it. But his name wrung out and now people wanna build careers off keeping in in jail. I still say had this been any reg person in Va they would have got probation at best. But Vicks name was HUGE and thats yesterday.

If he comes back and the FO office decides to keep him. Ill support them and their choice for what they think is best for the team. But if he is gone for good. I understand why and support that choice also.

GO FALCONS!

Ryan will be the quarterback in 2009. They didn't draft him that highly to sit on the bench for more than one season, and aren't going to give up on him after one season regardless of how he plays. I can't really see any scenario where Vick comes back to the Falcons: even Carr, who got battered to the point where he couldn't even play anymore, lasted 5 seasons with the Texans, and Couch lasted 5 seasons with the Browns...

my fortune cookies says, he who is proven leader and keeps his fellow playmakers under his wings will prosper and be called FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK.....and behold his cleats will have icy spikes

ATLANTIANS WILL NAME HIM

"MATTY ICE" 09'

Vick sucked at passing after sucking at it for six straight years and you think after not playing, he will all of a sudden be what he never has been, a good passer. Vick won a lot of games for us early on because the NFL did not know how to stop him and gave his arm more respect than it deserved. The last two seasons Vick played all of the Good teams could shut Vick's running and the rest of the running game down and Vick could not pass well enough to make them play honest. That is why we led the NFL in rushing because that is all Vick could do well. Also the reason we were dead last in passing.

One dimensional teams can't win super Bowls not even the mighty Earl Campbell could get it done and with Vick, we were as one dimensional as a team can get. # 1 in Rushing #32 in Passing proved it. Also,it was always the other players fault why Vick couldn't pass

This is Ryan's team, Shockley will be a camp arm Redman will be the back up and they have Harrington as 3rd string and perhaps with a few years of not getting beat up and no pressure Harrington could become a very solid #2

I always think it is so funny when people actually think Vick might be back with the Falcons and want Shockley to be the starter over the rest of the QB's when he has never shown a thing. If he was so good with the Bull Dogs he would have been drafted higher and he sure is no Tom Brady. I don't think Vick would be here if he had not gotten in trouble, Because he sucked as a passer and the NFL learned how to stop him. Contain and make him pass. He wasn't accurate or consistent enough to sustain drives and they knew it and we won't even mention touch on his passes.

jgentry162 (7/3/2008)

Vick sucked at passing after sucking at it for six straight years and you think after not playing, he will all of a sudden be what he never has been, a good passer. Vick won a lot of games for us early on because the NFL did not know how to stop him and gave his arm more respect than it deserved. The last two seasons Vick played all of the Good teams could shut Vick's running and the rest of the running game down and Vick could not pass well enough to make them play honest. That is why we led the NFL in rushing because that is all Vick could do well. Also the reason we were dead last in passing.

One dimensional teams can't win super Bowls not even the mighty Earl Campbell could get it done and with Vick, we were as one dimensional as a team can get. # 1 in Rushing #32 in Passing proved it. Also,it was always the other players fault why Vick couldn't pass

This is Ryan's team, Shockley will be a camp arm Redman will be the back up and they have Harrington as 3rd string and perhaps with a few years of not getting beat up and no pressure Harrington could become a very solid #2

I always think it is so funny when people actually think Vick might be back with the Falcons and want Shockley to be the starter over the rest of the QB's when he has never shown a thing. If he was so good with the Bull Dogs he would have been drafted higher and he sure is no Tom Brady. I don't think Vick would be here if he had not gotten in trouble, Because he sucked as a passer and the NFL learned how to stop him. Contain and make him pass. He wasn't accurate or consistent enough to sustain drives and they knew it and we won't even mention touch on his passes.

THIS THREAD IS NOW OFFICIALLY OVER ..... NOW THAT WE HAVE HEARD FROM THE TRAILER PARK.

IF and when Vick is reinstated into the NFL, it would be smart for the Falcons to renegotiate his contract into a much lesser salary which would then make him trade bait to the highest bidder.  Maybe we'll get lucky and get a third round pick for him and be rid of him and the trouble his actions have caused for this franchise. 

As for who will be the QB in 2009, look no further than the man the Falcons have signed until 2014, Matt Ryan who will be given every oppurtunity to grow with this team and hopefully produce the results this franchise has yet to achieve starting with Back-Back winning seasons.  The Falcons are finally ready to field a 'Team' and not a one man sideshow...

jgentry162 (7/3/2008)

i understand what you're trying to say but..... come on. yes vicks passing WASNT the best but he was not a HORRIBLE passer. you have to take in the fact that the line didnt really give him enough time, the only person catching his balls was alge crumpler. Gregg Knapp was a HORRIBLE offensive coordinator. he showed that he could be a pretty good passer in a few games but he didnt have the weapons.

that being said i believe its time to move on. would i love for vick to be back for us? yes but im also hoping that matt ryan pans out to be a good qb for us and get us back into the playoffs eventually.

the only player i can see playing other than ryan is TEBOW......that'll really set off the vick huggers:D:D  no need for speed when you have a pile driver;)

REV.2000 (7/3/2008)
YOU GUYS WILL HAVE TO GO THIS ONE ALONE. I'M NOT TOUCHING THIS ONE.:cool:

We can't get through this tread alone - please help us ! :P:D:D

You folks are living in the past. The present is this:

1. Matt Ryan gets 36 million to be the QB

2. Vick is in jail, with another trial to go

3. Vick faces suspension

4. Vick is probably in shape from doing long distance running after he drops the soap

jon (7/3/2008)
Mike Vick when he comes out of jail this year, Matt Ryan the rookie or DJ Shockley?????

dude-- let it go.

jgentry162 (7/3/2008)

Vick sucked at passing aftersucking atit for six straight years and you think after not playing, he will all of a sudden be what he never has been, a good passer. Vick won a lot of games for us early on because the NFL did not know how to stop him and gave his arm more respect than it deserved. The last two seasons Vick played all of the Good teams could shut Vick's running and the rest of the running game down and Vick could not pass well enough to make them play honest. That is why we led the NFL in rushing because that is all Vick could do well. Also the reason we were dead last in passing.

I always think it is so funny when people actually think Vick might be back with the Falcons and want Shockley to be the starter over the rest of the QB's when he has never shown a thing. If he was so good with the Bull Dogs he would have been drafted higher and he sure is no Tom Brady. I don't think Vick would be here if he had not gotten in trouble,Because hesucked as a passer and the NFL learned how to stop him. Contain and make him pass. He wasn't accurate or consistent enough to sustain drives and they knew it and we won't even mention touch on his passes.

Just another brainless post from the usual culprit...

Wheres the ignore feature when u need it