nfldraftscout.com encouraged me ALOT

I have to admit after we drafted Ryan first and Sam Baker second, I was initially disappointed with our draft. But after checking into the details of the young player we got I am not so disappointed.

I checked everyone of our draft choices and read their take on each of them. Everyone of them up to Kroy Biermann seems to be a real player... Zinger and Fontenot I am not so sure... but they're 7th rounders ...

It is possible that TD has figured out how to find players. I am not saying these unproven players are THE ANSWER etc... but TD's philosophy is to build through the draft and ultimately if we get real players, not primadona's or overhyped celebrities... he will construct a competitive team, over time.

I encourage you to read up on our draft picks and see if it doesn't help your outlook. I think Lofton, Jackson, Douglas, Decoud, Brown and Biermann could all be quality contributors. That's how you build a winning organization, bit by bit, with solid contributors.

What do you think, good, bad or ugly on our building strategy... don't reply if you haven't checked into the background on the players we have selected.

formul8or (7/2/2008)
It is easy to get caught up in emotions and read things that can help you think about the team how you want to think.

That is why, despite good articles and backgrounds, I will not give our draft credit until they perform.

That's about the size of it. Much as I WANT them to do well and THINK that they'll be pretty good, we won't know what we have until we see them in action in real NFL games.

Hopefully, they'll prove Dimitroff right.

Direwolf

I too was surprised by some of our draft picks.......but that was it, surprised. I wanted Dorsey to be the man in the middle but actually I was leaning towards Sedrick Ellis I think he will end up the better player. That being said I too began doing some recon on the picks we made, because some of them I had never heard of. The end result was that most of the players we drafted were highly ranked by most scouting systems....Ryan #1 rated QB in this draft on all boards, Loftin #3 ranked ILB on most boards, Baker no lower than 6th OL this year and 3rd last, Chevis Jackson top 5, DeCloud top 5, and on and on it goes. Player for Player this years draft has more quality than any Falcons draft I can remember. Yes until they face "proven" NFL competion we will not know, but on paper it looks better than in years past. All look to be 1) Smart, 2) Hard Working, 3) Good Citizens, 30 and most important "FOOTBALL PLAYERS".

Thanks for a Good post

direwolf (7/3/2008)
formul8or (7/2/2008)
It is easy to get caught up in emotions and read things that can help you think about the team how you want to think.

That is why, despite good articles and backgrounds, I will not give our draft credit until they perform.

That's about the size of it. Much as I WANT them to do well and THINK that they'll be pretty good, we won't know what we have until we see them in action in real NFL games.

Hopefully, they'll prove Dimitroff right.

Direwolf

This year is going to require patience. The problem there is most Falcon "fans" have none. Not you guys, but the average SI reading casual Atlanta sports fan.

I sense that TD has a plan and it goes beyond this season. I predict a lot of crying and knashing of teeth when we lose 2 or 3 in a row, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for this year. We're playing a lot of young guys and we're watching a new system being taught on both sides of the ball. The next draft and FA period will tell the real story of where we're headed.

jay moore (7/3/2008)
td's trying to clone the new england patriots which is not necessarily a bad thing....the question remains will we run a cover 2 d or 3/4 d. looking at the bulk of olb/de's we seem equiped to do whatever.

The reason New England can run that type of system is they have always ran a 3-4 and have always had the personnel for it. They have drafted key players for that system.

The key is their vets namely the linebackers and Rodney Harrison.

We have a bunch of 4-3 players and way too much youth.

This isn't Madden.  You don't just switch between a 3-4 and 4-3 like it's nothing.  How many of our linebackers have ever played in a 3-4?  How many of our defensive linemen?

How many of our defensive coaches have coached on a 3-4 team?

I guess you guys don't remember 2003 which was the last time we ran a 3-4.  If we have problems stopping the run in a 4-3 we'll have major problems in a 3-4 with the current group of personnel.

There are many "keys" to drafting good players.  Our biggest problem of late is constant turnover at head coach which brings a change of philosophy.  We need to give Smith the time it takes and also continue to develop our drafted players.  I remember at the start of 2007 hearing a stat that Indy had only 4 players on their roster that they did not draft.  That's how you build a consistent winner.  But it starts with consistency in the coaching staff, FO and philosophy of the team.

jay moore (7/3/2008)
td's trying to clone the new england patriots which is not necessarily a bad thing....the question remains will we run a cover 2 d or 3/4 d. looking at the bulk of olb/de's we seem equiped to do whatever.

We are a long way away from changing over to a 3-4, while the OLBs have the range, the ILBs are smallish, the DEs are smallish and L. Milloy doesnt have the range to be a Cover 2 S at this point in his career.

I think TD is drafting players to fit Coach Smith's schemes and identity on offense and defense.

Keith Hernandez (7/3/2008)
chifalc (7/2/2008)
The H.N.I.C. 2! (7/2/2008)
shut up noob

Hush, 'Junior'

ohhh snap. He went there. I have no room to talk, but I dont feel like post count equates to real football knowlage.

It doesnt. I dont even look at it. I respect posters based on knowledge of football not numbers.

Nobody is debating this draft class as football players. The disappointment stems from the apparent lack of a future superstar commensurate with the number of high draft picks we had.

It's impossible to predict the future superstars in a draft. There are always suprises as well as busts. Sometimes the star in the class is a huge surprise.

Actually with all the resources available to NFL teams, many times our guess is as good as theirs!

GO FALCONS!!!