PLAYER REPS WANT ROOKIE WAGE SCALE

Though they haven t been sharing their views publicly (perhaps so as not to suffer a neck-breaking), we re hearing that there s near (if not complete) unanimity among NFL player representatives regarding the need for a rookie wage scale.

So says one of the player reps, who obviously isn t inclined to risk a broken neck by attaching his name to his views.

The thinking among the reps is that the players clearly want it, and that it will be included in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. (If, you know, there is one.)

Though not articulated this way by our source, the sense we re getting is that the players don t care about pretending that they want the current rookie windfall system so that the subject can be a bargaining chip in negotiations with the league. The players recognize that they benefit from a system in which teams drafting in the top ten aren t forced to pay a huge chunk of money over a five-year or six-year period to a player who might eventually contribute nothing to the greater good, and they apparently aren t inclined to warp that basic reality as an act of labor-management gamesmanship.

Thus, we continue to believe that it would be very wise for Upshaw to cave on this issue or at a minimum to quit talking about it. Political movements often are launched by a single issue, and Upshaw s failure to reflect the will of the rank-and-file on this point could be the fuel for his downfall.

Upshaw is a idiot..... the players that he works for want this to happen but he wants to fight it.... this is the reason why the players want Gene Upshaw out

Sun Tzu 7 (7/2/2008)
Upshaw is a idiot..... the players that he works for want this to happen but he wants to fight it.... this is the reason why the players want Gene Upshaw out

Not all of the players want it.  How do you think Ryan feels about it?

It's probably safe to excluse the last two rookie classes since they're going to be as biased as you can be on the subject. hehehe

Direwolf

I think there needs to be a cap on ALL player salaries, Rookies need to be placed on a set scale set by draft order and a 1 year deal, then teams know what they have. After that first year then they can get a long term deal.

Gene Upshaw is supposed to represent the players that are a part of the union, meaning they are already signed.  He is not supposed to represent unsigned rookies.  Why would anyone who is already signed want a majority of the $$$ going towards paying unsigned rookies?  He should be the first in line to help get a rookie wage in place. 

Sun Tzu 7 (7/2/2008)

Not all of the players want it. How do you think Ryan feels about it?

Now that he's paid? He probably doesn't care.

The JOB of the players union rep is to take care of THE PLAYERS. Not the future players, who high contracts are cutting out the mid-tier talent/salary level players because teams cannot afford to sign them. They have high priced rookies, high priced vet stars, and then fill in rosters with sub-par talent & minimum contracts. Upshaw is not taking care of the majority of NFL players by taking the stance that he is taking & that's why a majority of players are upset with him right now.

Robb4242 (7/3/2008)
emt861 (7/3/2008)
can you name 1 veteran OL ...Pro Bowler....that makes what Jake Long signed for this year..........nope, me either
emt861, what WOW server do you play on?

I have no idea what you are talking about but if it was meant as a slam, then you missed. It was a genuine question for debate.

emt861 (7/3/2008)
Robb4242 (7/3/2008)
emt861 (7/3/2008)
can you name 1 veteran OL ...Pro Bowler....that makes what Jake Long signed for this year..........nope, me either
emt861, what WOW server do you play on?

I have no idea what you are talking about but if it was meant as a slam, then you missed. It was a genuine question for debate.

no joke or slam intended....check your PM's for an explanation.

If I were Upshaw I would be taking the same stanceat this point and time.  The rookie pay scale will be one of his biggest bargaining chips and he knows it he must fight for it so that when he gives it he can keep something else that he and the players really want to keep. JMO

ugadawg (7/3/2008)
If I were Upshaw I would be taking the same stanceat this point and time.  The rookie pay scale will be one of his biggest bargaining chips and he knows it he must fight for it so that when he gives it he can keep something else that he and the players really want to keep. JMO

I agree - he's holding back for good reason.

It's logical to think the majority of players would vote for a scale on rookies

mcmvp (7/3/2008)
ugadawg (7/3/2008)

I agree - he's holding back for good reason.

It's logical to think the majority of players would vote for a scale on rookies

I agree I think the vets want this but right now they are having to play poker and cards are being held close

Sun Tzu 7 (7/2/2008)

Not all of the players want it.  How do you think Ryan feels about it?

I think Ryan is ABSOLUTELY for it.  Why?  Because he already got his rookie money and he will benefit from this when his second contract come around.