What car should I get? I'm looking at hybrids

backnblack (7/4/2008)
I'm sure the v6 Accords are nice but truthfully the 4 cylinder we have is plenty fast and/or quick for anything other than hotdogging or something. They are excellent vehicles and quite comfortable inside.

Agreed. My mom has a 4-cyl Accord, and it's not going to outrun a real sports car in a stoplight drag, but it gets out into traffic plenty quick. About 32mpg. I personally want a lot better mileage than that, but if that's your range, a 4-cyl Accord or Camry is a fine choice.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

backnblack (7/4/2008)
I'm sure the v6 Accords are nice but truthfully the 4 cylinder we have is plenty fast and/or quick for anything other than hotdogging or something. They are excellent vehicles and quite comfortable inside.

the EX model has some extra pep over the LX model.  however, my hybrid accord has noticeably more than any accord i've ever had, and all i've ever owned are accords.  i was surprised by the difference because i was always impressed with the zoom, zoom, zoom (sorry, mazda) of my ex accords.  drawback is the mileage difference between the 6 and 4 cylinder.  the hybrid makes up for it, but i'd trade pep for mileage right now since my racing days are over. :P

Well I dont know much about hybrids. But get the one with the best safety features. You can save all the money in the world in gas, but could end up on the short side of a collision and not have to worry anymore about gas, as you float about in pergatory......Think safety, then think savings.....

JDaveG (7/4/2008)
popcornplaya (7/4/2008)
The repair and upkeep costs are going to be less on the TDI as well, especially the battery.

I think the TDI will be better on maintenance than a non-TDI Jetta.

But no way in **** it is better than the Prius. The battery is a large expense, yes, but the last gen. TDI Jetta had a nasty habit of shearing the turbo prop off and blowing the engine, and German maintenance is just ridiculous to begin with, so catastrophic failures are not really a good thing with a German car.

On reliability and maintenance, advantage Prius by a country mile.

Apart from that, I agree with you for the most part. It's really a personal choice. If I wanted a diesel, I'd personally get the upcoming Acura TDX diesel. MPG in the high 40 range projected, and it is a NICE car. Maintenance and upkeep on that should be reasonable, AND it will probably last half a million miles being a Honda AND a diesel.

I have to disagree on the Honda/Acura diesel. They've never had success in that market, and I don't think they'll start with this one. The Japanese, statistically have never had success in the diesel market. Pencil me in in the very skeptical column.

pencilpusher (7/6/2008)
BirdsOfPrey (7/6/2008)
Hands down, you need the Fisker Karma. Baddest 4 door alternative vehicle ever made.

fisker_karma.jpg

He didn't say he had erectile disfunction, he just said he was looking for a hybrid car.

:laugh::laugh: I know, but ****, if your going to go "green" you should do it with style, right? My wife wants me to buy one for her.:w00t: