What car should I get? I'm looking at hybrids

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where did this prius is for hippies stuff come from. i never said anything bout Hippies, they got the best stuff to smoke.

Im just saying the Engine, when it revs by it goes IMMMMMM GAAAAAAYYYYYY. Ehh how are they the enemy? you know Opec includes more than middle east countries right?

I already know what my first car im gonna buy is gonna be.

09.mercedesbenz.sl600.f34.500.jpg

MB SL550:cool: Pharmacists get 80,000 starting.:cool:

JDaveG (7/3/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
JDaveG (7/2/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
Get a Camry Hybrid. dont get that prius crap. im trying to talk my dad out of a Prius also. Either a Camry Hybrid or a Honda Accord Hybrid. Both get really good gas, and a regular sedans that will fit 5 people comfortable.

Why is the Prius crap exactly?

Also, the Camry hybrid gets about 12mpg less than the Prius, and they don't make an Accord Hybrid anymore (and the used one didn't get great mileage to begin with).

Also, pt. II, the Prius has an interior almost as big as an Accord/Camry.

they dont make Accord hybrid?? they need to start making those again. the new accord get 31MPG on highway.

I keep hearing this sound out of the prius. it keeps saying IIIIMMMMMM GAAAAAYYYY

lmao gotta love Jeff Dunham.

Dunham is funny, but a comedian is no basis to choose a car. The Prius is a fine car, it is not underpowered (unless you are looking for a drag car, in which case I'm guessing that fuel efficiency is low on your list of priorities in the first place). At the very least, it is comparable to any other 4-cyl. car on the market (Camry hybrid included, and again, I don't include the Accord because they don't make it anymore and it was a V6 with the electric assist being used to make the car faster, not more fuel efficient).

I acknowledge that the Prius is butt-ugly, but if you want the largest most comfortable car on the market that gets over 45mpg, that's the one. Jetta diesel might compete when they get it to market, but that still leaves 2 choices.

lol dont worry Dunham owns a Blue Prius. I have nothing against Prius, besides the fact that they are 2 quiet, and i think the metal used to make their battery is lethal or something. Plus they dont have a lot of room. Id rather go for a Camry Hybrid, which gets really good gas, and it has room.

also a conservative with out a SUV?? isnt that an oxymoron?;)

backnblack (7/3/2008)
What's kind of funny to me when folks begin talking about getting gas saving cars is that they will buy a $31K Prius or whatever and trade in whatever they are currently driving or not purchase a much cheaper but less fuel efficient car. You can buy a lot of gas with $10K and even in the big picture the Prius nickel batteries are not especially kind on the environment to produce. Ringing all one can out of an older car makes more sense on about every level than buying a new one...unless you just feel compelled to stimulate the economy.

I have never seen a $31K Prius.  List tops out at about $29K or so, and most of them are in the $25K range.  They are getting a bit of a premium these days, but $31K is well overstating the case.

The nickel battery issue has been overblown by junk science.  I'm not saying that mining nickel is good for the environment, but it's not nearly as bad as petroleum.  The "study" that shows otherwise takes the ENTIRE environmental impact of the nickel mine that sources Prius batteries, and blames that ENTIRE impact on the Prius.  Problem with that is that the amount of nickel from that mine that actually sources Prius batteries is a minute fraction of the total.

Finally, yes you can buy a lot of gas with $10K, but if you are comparing a $21K car to a Prius equipped at $28K, it's really apples and oranges.  You are literally taking the most expensive Prius made, with leather seats, NAV and JBL, and comparing it against a bottom- to mid-level car with cloth seats, etc.  The Prius so equipped is significantly under $25K, so lets be fair about it.

GEORGIAfan (7/3/2008)
lol dont worry Dunham owns a Blue Prius. I have nothing against Prius, besides the fact that they are 2 quiet, and i think the metal used to make their battery is lethal or something. Plus they dont have a lot of room. Id rather go for a Camry Hybrid, which gets really good gas, and it has room.

Battery issue addressed above.

The Camry Hybrid is significantly less fuel efficient than the Prius, AND the interior room is pretty close between the two.  If you prefer the Camry, that's fine, but saying the Prius doesn't have a lot of room misses the point that IF you are right, the Camry really doesn't either.

Well, my current car is a 2001 GMC Sierra with the bigger V8 (5.3 liter)......

P.S., re: the hippie thing, I know you didn't say that.  I was referring to silentbob, who I think was the one that said it.  My comments were in jest, anyway.

JDaveG (7/3/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/3/2008)

Battery issue addressed above.

The Camry Hybrid is significantly less fuel efficient than the Prius, AND the interior room is pretty close between the two. If you prefer the Camry, that's fine, but saying the Prius doesn't have a lot of room misses the point that IF you are right, the Camry really doesn't either.

Well, my current car is a 2001 GMC Sierra with the bigger V8 (5.3 liter)......

P.S., re: the hippie thing, I know you didn't say that. I was referring to silentbob, who I think was the one that said it. My comments were in jest, anyway.

ok then i thought you were talkin to me. Cuz i didnt call any1 a hippie. dang a V8?? i guess you couldnt handle the V8.( starsky and hutch)

i do like the camry better than the Prius, because the Prius looks Ugly. I thought the Prius was the size of the Civic, which is pretty small. i mean you can fit 4 people pretty easy, but 5 it kinda pushing it.

GEORGIAfan (7/3/2008)
ok then i thought you were talkin to me. Cuz i didnt call any1 a hippie. dang a V8?? i guess you couldnt handle the V8.( starsky and hutch)

i do like the camry better than the Prius, because the Prius looks Ugly.

As long as vanity is more important than efficiency, I suppose this is the right way to go  :P

I thought the Prius was the size of the Civic, which is pretty small. i mean you can fit 4 people pretty easy, but 5 it kinda pushing it.

Check out this article on the two.  They do in fact conclude that the Camry is less cramped, and surpisingly (to me at least), the Camry did really well in highway MPG (but still a full 10 MPG less than the Prius).  But the difference is 3" laterally.  That's it.  5 people won't be REALLY comfortable in a Prius, but I've never felt really comfortable sharing a Camry/Accord backseat with 2 other people anyway.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=127826

At any rate, the Prius is a good bit larger than the Civic inside.  They compare it to the Corrolla here, but they say it's "closer" to the Corrolla, not that it's that small, and I believe the new Corrolla is a fair shot more voluminous on the inside than the Civic.

For me, the biggest issue was the overall MPG, since my goal is to reduce my consumption of gasoline.

In two weeks of mixed driving, we rang up an average of 43.8 mpg in the Prius and 32.7 mpg in the Camry Hybrid.

That's enough of a difference for me to spring for the Prius.

I still say the Jetta Diesel is the way to go.  It gets better mileage and isn't a hybrid, which carries hybrid repair and upkeep costs as well, which are expensive in case you hadn't checked. Chipping it and adding better injectors would further improve the mileage, as with all diesels the more you juice the engine the better the mileage.

Also check out this site: http://www.hypermiling.com/

yea but Popcornplaya the cost of Diesel is more than Gas by a dollar.( a little more around here) so every gallon you will be paying an extra dollar. lets say you drive the average per year( 15,000) and the car gets 50MPG avg while your driving.( which we know you wont be)

you will pay an extra 300 in gas. each year.

JDaveG (7/3/2008)
backnblack (7/3/2008)
What's kind of funny to me when folks begin talking about getting gas saving cars is that they will buy a $31K Prius or whatever and trade in whatever they are currently driving or not purchase a much cheaper but less fuel efficient car. You can buy a lot of gas with $10K and even in the big picture the Prius nickel batteries are not especially kind on the environment to produce. Ringing all one can out of an older car makes more sense on about every level than buying a new one...unless you just feel compelled to stimulate the economy.

I have never seen a $31K Prius. List tops out at about $29K or so, and most of them are in the $25K range. They are getting a bit of a premium these days, but $31K is well overstating the case.

The nickel battery issue has been overblown by junk science. I'm not saying that mining nickel is good for the environment, but it's not nearly as bad as petroleum. The "study" that shows otherwise takes the ENTIRE environmental impact of the nickel mine that sources Prius batteries, and blames that ENTIRE impact on the Prius. Problem with that is that the amount of nickel from that mine that actually sources Prius batteries is a minute fraction of the total.

Finally, yes you can buy a lot of gas with $10K, but if you are comparing a $21K car toa Prius equipped at $28K, it's really apples and oranges. You are literally taking the most expensive Prius made, with leather seats, NAV and JBL,and comparing it against a bottom- to mid-level car with cloth seats, etc. The Prius so equipped is significantly under $25K, so lets be fair about it.

All true. I didn't really know what they sell for. My mistake...actually more affordable than I thought. The point is, running out and buying a new car because it gets exceptional gas mileage doesn't make much sense unless you are already planning on getting a new car. As for the nickel battery, my point is not only the battery but any polution involved in building a new car and concurrently scraping another has to be considered. Economically speaking, the wisest choice is likely to buy a program car with about 15K miles on it. The money you save could buy a ton of gas. It will take a good while before the gas savings alone of driving a hybrid will save someone money.

backnblack (7/3/2008)
All true. I didn't really know what they sell for. My mistake...actually more affordable than I thought. The point is, running out and buying a new car because it gets exceptional gas mileage doesn't make much sense unless you are already planning on getting a new car.

If my current car got better than 18mpg highway, I probably would hang onto it.  As it is, I'm paying $380 a month in gas, and I could almost buy a Prius with that alone.  The difference in what I pay now and would pay with a Prius at current prices is about $210 per month.

Going from 32mpg to 42 mpg, you're right.  Going from 18 (if I'm lucky) to 42 is a no-brainer.

As for the nickel battery, my point is not only the battery but any polution involved in building a new car and concurrently scraping another has to be considered. Economically speaking, the wisest choice is likely to buy a program car with about 15K miles on it. The money you save could buy a ton of gas. It will take a good while before the gas savings alone of driving a hybrid will save someone money.

That's probably about right, but unfortunately, it's not just about the $$$ to me.  I'm serious about reducing our consumption of oil.  Dollars and cents are part of that story, but they are not the whole story.

GEORGIAfan (7/3/2008)
yea but Popcornplaya the cost of Diesel is more than Gas by a dollar.( a little more around here) so every gallon you will be paying an extra dollar. lets say you drive the average per year( 15,000) and the car gets 50MPG avg while your driving.( which we know you wont be)

you will pay an extra 300 in gas. each year.

I can get diesel here for $4.17, gas is $3.99-$4.09 depending on where you buy it, and that is for 87 octane. Another thing is you can make your own biodiesel at home and save even more.

And for those saying it's more expensive of a vehicle, you can get one (according to the 3 dealers I've talked to) for $28k max, they're saying the price point is going to be $25k-$28k when they're released. The repair and upkeep costs are going to be less on the TDI as well, especially the battery. And, like I said earlier, upgrading a few things will improve the fuel mileage even more (Spending less than $600 to do 2 key upgrades will net you around 8-10 more MPG). You're talking 70-74 MPG then. So for the same basic price as a Prius, you can get more miles per gallon, and pay $0.08-$0.18 more per gallon for fuel. We're talking around 50 MPG on the Prius and for the same basic price for the vehicle, you can get 20-24 more MPG for an additional $0.08-$0.18 per gallon. I'd gladly pay the few cents extra to get 20 more MPG out of the vehicle. It really isn't increasing the fuel bill, it's really decreasing it because you're getting more bang for your buck per gallon.

This is based upon the testing done of the pre-release test models, as the TDi averaged 60 MPG in testing without any upgrading to improve fuel mileage. The fuel tank is most likely going to be 12-14 gallons. That's 720-840 miles per fill up depending on the size of the tank bone stock without doing anything to improve fuel economy. At $4.17, it will cost me $50.15-$58.52 per fill up from empty, which is roughly $0.07 per mile. The Prius holds 11.9 gallons (according to the Toyota website). It would cost $47.59 to fill it up with the low gas prices here. Getting an average of 595 miles per gallon (as fuel economy is 50 MPG at it's best), that's a cost of $0.08 per mile. Averaging 15,000 miles per year, your fuel costs are going to be $1200 for the Prius and $1050 per year for the TDI Jetta. So you're really saving money going diesel. The numbers don't lie.

If you make your own bio-diesel, you're going to save a lot more versus gas. And it's not all that hard to do, but much cheaper. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

i have an accord hybrid, and i have loved it.  HOWEVA (imagine stephen a. smith), the mileage wasn't what i thought it would be.  it's the only car i've ever had that got less mileage than advertised.  honda overshot with the accord hybrid because they made it their top of the line accord.  it has more horsepower than the regular v-6 accord and gets about the same mileage as teh 4 cylinder.  it's a cleaner car emissions wise, i believe.  if i hadn't driven the hybrid one, i might not have purchased it.  i had never had a car with that much pep.  i got it because at the time my wife and two kids could get around easily in it.  alas, our third child had just been unknowingly conceived, and three carseats make for a cramped car. 

i've had mine for 3 years (??, i think, lol) now, and i've never had an issue with it.  gives me room to comfortably cart around people to ball games, safe for my kids to ride in, and i love driving it.  disappointed a bit in the mileage (30-32mpg).  that's been really the only issue i've had.

balances out my wife's suv.  she's got the 3 kids quite a bit and all the junk that comes with it. 

popcornplaya (7/4/2008)
The repair and upkeep costs are going to be less on the TDI as well, especially the battery.

I think the TDI will be better on maintenance than a non-TDI Jetta.

But no way in **** it is better than the Prius. The battery is a large expense, yes, but the last gen. TDI Jetta had a nasty habit of shearing the turbo prop off and blowing the engine, and German maintenance is just ridiculous to begin with, so catastrophic failures are not really a good thing with a German car.

On reliability and maintenance, advantage Prius by a country mile.

Apart from that, I agree with you for the most part. It's really a personal choice. If I wanted a diesel, I'd personally get the upcoming Acura TDX diesel. MPG in the high 40 range projected, and it is a NICE car. Maintenance and upkeep on that should be reasonable, AND it will probably last half a million miles being a Honda AND a diesel.

jdu I would go with the camry or an accord if it were me.  I have a tacoma and my mother has a camry both v6 my wife had an accord for 7 years 4 cyl.  Depending on what you are looking for I would go with a 4 cyl if you are looking strictly for gas mileage, but the v6 are good too.