What car should I get? I'm looking at hybrids

JDaveG (7/2/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
Get a Camry Hybrid. dont get that prius crap. im trying to talk my dad out of a Prius also. Either a Camry Hybrid or a Honda Accord Hybrid. Both get really good gas, and a regular sedans that will fit 5 people comfortable.

Why is the Prius crap exactly?

Also, the Camry hybrid gets about 12mpg less than the Prius, and they don't make an Accord Hybrid anymore (and the used one didn't get great mileage to begin with).

Also, pt. II, the Prius has an interior almost as big as an Accord/Camry.

they dont make Accord hybrid?? they need to start making those again. the new accord get 31MPG on highway.

I keep hearing this sound out of the prius. it keeps saying IIIIMMMMMM GAAAAAYYYY

lmao gotta love Jeff Dunham.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kobold King (7/2/2008)
jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
We've had bad experiences with Ford's...They don't make a very durable car if you ask me. No offense.

How many, 1 bad experience? All I've owned are Ford's and never had trouble with any of them.

I would go with somthing that gets about 30 mpg and save some money. Not much of a difference gas wise and you will save on the sticker.

Good point. What are some of those cars that get about 30 mpg?

o yea dont worry bout the EPA if its a V6 or less, because most of the time you will get better gas than that. i know My Pilot get 24, but i mos def get close to 30MPG on the higway. and the city im getting close to 20. definately watch out for traffic. that will kill your gas. stalling your car for 1 min uses 1.6 ounces of fuel, while starting it only uses .5 ounces. just a good little fact.

If you're set on a hybrid, the Honda Civic is really nice.  Within my family, there have been four Hondas run well past 100,000 miles each, with minimal repairs.  I haven't looked at the Camry, but you might consider a used Accord hybrid (as someone else noted, they stopped making those). 

As for non-hybrids, but great fuel economy, I test drove a Fusion (nice car) and a Focus but neither felt as tight as Honda/Toyota.  And aside from 60's and 70's era Mustangs, I can't think of a Ford worth the money.

GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
JDaveG (7/2/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
Get a Camry Hybrid. dont get that prius crap. im trying to talk my dad out of a Prius also. Either a Camry Hybrid or a Honda Accord Hybrid. Both get really good gas, and a regular sedans that will fit 5 people comfortable.

Also, the Camry hybrid gets about 12mpg less than the Prius, and they don't make an Accord Hybrid anymore (and the used one didn't get great mileage to begin with).

they dont make Accord hybrid?? they need to start making those again. the new accord get 31MPG on highway.

I keep hearing this sound out of the prius. it keeps saying IIIIMMMMMM GAAAAAYYYY

:laugh:

The 40 MPG sounds nice, but I could not get past the hippy stigma of the Prius.

Most of the hybrids are very pricey...and standard gas civics if you don't get the high end models get mileage almost as good as the hybrid (hwy). If you do lots of city driving, go ahead and get the hybrid. Just know if you're tall, you won't like the prius at all. My dad couldn't fit in it =P

I just traded in my truck on a new Altima Coupe. I got half again my truck's mileage, and it's fun to have a manual transmission again. :D

Keep one thing in mind when thinking about Honda and good fuel economy: Consumer Reports outed them as being the biggest liars when it comes to claimed fuel mileage vs actual fuel mileage. They tested one model (I think it was the Civic) where Honda was claiming 51 MPG and their test results showed that the actual MPG was around 30. I saw this first hand with my wife's former car, an 2006 Element (complete POS by the way), the fuel mileage I routinely measured on that car was probably about 4-5 miles less a gallon than what the sticker boasted.

NCFalconfan (7/3/2008)
Keep one thing in mind when thinking about Honda and good fuel economy: Consumer Reports outed them as being the biggest liars when it comes to claimed fuel mileage vs actual fuel mileage. They tested one model (I think it was the Civic) where Honda was claiming 51 MPG and their test results showed that the actual MPG was around 30. I saw this first hand with my wife's former car, an 2006 Element (complete POS by the way), the fuel mileage I routinely measured on that car was probably about 4-5 miles less a gallon than what the sticker boasted.

what honda lies?? man i got tons better gas. my Pilot is suppose to get 22mpg( 4wd), but im getting more lik 30+ on the highway. Just go around 60-70 on highway and im getting 30. in the city i get close to 24. I dont know how many times ive put a gallon and its gotten my everywhere i need to go.

but Jdu. def get an accord or camry. hybrid or not they get great gas mileage, and good amount of HP, which is always a plus.

ok thats 1 person, and i have checked the 7 reviews and they say different. 1 opinion verus 7. I wasnt even supporting the civic. i think you get lil HP and average MPG if its not the Hybrid. Id take the Camry or Accord with the better room and HP, and really good MPG, plus they look better. Ive also always looked at civics as street racing cars, since every one gets one and tricks it out.

The technology isn't good enough yet for me to justify a purchase.  Even if I were to get 40 MPG, essentially cutting my fuel bill by $150 a month, it would take me 10 years to recoup that cost on an $18,000 vehicle.  I'll stick with my Mazda Tribute until it dies and then when I have to buy a vehicle, I'll look at what's available.  I'm quite sure it'll be much better then...

silentbob1272 (7/2/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
JDaveG (7/2/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)

:laugh:

The 40 MPG sounds nice, but I could not get past the hippy stigma of the Prius.

40? That is the gas powered civic on the hwy, the prius get 48-50 in town and 45-48 hwy.

My civic gets 31-32 in town and 38-40 on the hwy. You can get an EX-L, loaded, leather, navigation, sunroof, nice loud radio and everthing for 22k. Best bang for the buck, and the 2dr 5sp is a little sporty too.

GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
JDaveG (7/2/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)

Dunham is funny, but a comedian is no basis to choose a car. The Prius is a fine car, it is not underpowered (unless you are looking for a drag car, in which case I'm guessing that fuel efficiency is low on your list of priorities in the first place). At the very least, it is comparable to any other 4-cyl. car on the market (Camry hybrid included, and again, I don't include the Accord because they don't make it anymore and it was a V6 with the electric assist being used to make the car faster, not more fuel efficient).

I acknowledge that the Prius is butt-ugly, but if you want the largest most comfortable car on the market that gets over 45mpg, that's the one. Jetta diesel might compete when they get it to market, but that still leaves 2 choices.

GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
definately watch out for traffic. that will kill your gas. stalling your car for 1 min uses 1.6 ounces of fuel, while starting it only uses .5 ounces. just a good little fact.

Good point.

The Prius automatically shuts off the gas moter when stopped in traffic, and it uses all electric power when crawling in stop-and-go traffic :D

By the way, LMAO at the other posts whose only real objection to the Prius is personal vanity. I'm a gun toting red blooded conservative Christian white male. I'm getting a Prius because I'm tired of funding our enemies by buying their oil, so stick that in your "hippie stigma" pipe and smoke it ;)

JDaveG (7/3/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
definately watch out for traffic. that will kill your gas. stalling your car for 1 min uses 1.6 ounces of fuel, while starting it only uses .5 ounces. just a good little fact.

Good point.

The Prius automatically shuts off the gas moter when stopped in traffic, and it uses all electric power when crawling in stop-and-go traffic :D

By the way, LMAO at the other posts whose only real objection to the Prius is personal vanity. I'm a gun toting red blooded conservative Christian white male. I'm getting a Prius because I'm tired of funding our enemies by buying their oil, so stick that in your "hippie stigma" pipe and smoke it ;)

I'm getting a prius too, I'm just waiting for the 70mpg+ models that are supposed to be coming soon... 2010 I hope. Call me a hippy if you like, I fit in closer with the biker look with my bald head and gotee.

What's kind of funny to me when folks begin talking about getting gas saving cars is that they will buy a $31K Prius or whatever and trade in whatever they are currently driving or not purchase a much cheaper but less fuel efficient car. You can buy a lot of gas with $10K and even in the big picture the Prius nickel batteries are not especially kind on the environment to produce. Ringing all one can out of an older car makes more sense on about every level than buying a new one...unless you just feel compelled to stimulate the economy.

backnblack (7/3/2008)
What's kind of funny to me when folks begin talking about getting gas saving cars is that they will buy a $31K Prius or whatever and trade in whatever they are currently driving or not purchase a much cheaper but less fuel efficient car. You can buy a lot of gas with $10K and even in the big picture the Prius nickel batteries are not especially kind on the environment to produce. Ringing all one can out of an older car makes more sense on about every level than buying a new one...unless you just feel compelled to stimulate the economy.

Honda Civic, 16.5k for an LX and 40mpg on the hwy...

7ad2a8d7-3f29-4a0d-94d3-1915.jpg

deathdawg (7/3/2008)
backnblack (7/3/2008)

Honda Civic, 16.5k for an LX and 40mpg on the hwy...

Roger that. In the next year or so we need to get a new car and that seems to be one of the best deals going. Our 97 Accord has 120K and while it runs well we have a daughter approaching driving age and you need one car that is money on long trips. OTOH, the new Accords can be had for right at 20K with less than 1% financing on 36 months. Pretty sweet deal. We still have a 91 Civic I bought new. Hondas are hard to beat. I have spent incredibly little on these cars in maintenance.