What car should I get? I'm looking at hybrids

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they aren't real pretty, but honestly, I'm getting a Prius.

To be fair, I'm waiting for the 2010 model, but when it comes out, I don't much care what it looks like.  I'm waiting because it will be more efficient.

If you want something a bit nicer looking, the Civic Hybrid is almost as efficient as the Prius, and you can get it with a sunroof.

jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
I'm thinking something like the Camry hybrid isn't bad. I really like Toyotas.

What else should I look in to?

To get a prius you have to wait on a waiting list and take what color comes in...  I will wait for the 2010 model.

The best bang for the buck right now in my opinion is the Honda Civic. They say they only get 36 on the highway, but on my trips to ATL I get 39-41. In town I am getting 29-32 mpg.

The price difference is where the BANG comes in...

The prius, and most other hybrids have an extra change because of the demand. Four months ago you could get a new prius for 24k, now you will pay 28-29k for the lower end model.

You can get a 2dr or 4dr civic EX for 18-19k, with sunroof, 350watt factory radio with a small sub (thumps pretty good for a factory radio).

$10,000 still buys quite a bit of fuel.

I'm still not sold on the fact that the batteries are ready for prime time.

Consumer Reports did a study a while back and found that even with the higher gas mileage you get with a hybrid, the hybrid cost more per mile to run due to the higher initial cost and cost of replacing the batteries (at least $3,000).

That report was done prior to the spike in gas prices, but you still have to figure it in when comparing the cost of a hybrid vs a high-mileage conventional vehicle.

eatcorn (7/2/2008)
I'm really eyeballing the Toyota Yaris. They get great gas mileage and are under $13K new.

Granted, I'd get every safety adder I could buy, and they're obviously not built for luxury, but the price and the functionality really appeals to me.

The civic also comes with standard front and side airbags.

johntaylor73 (7/2/2008)
eatcorn (7/2/2008)
I'm really eyeballing the Toyota Yaris. They get great gas mileage and are under $13K new.

Granted, I'd get every safety adder I could buy, and they're obviously not built for luxury, but the price and the functionality really appeals to me.

The civic also comes with standard front and side airbags.

Yeah, but a Civic with 40K miles on it is the same price as a new Yaris.

We're replacing a 1992 Honda Accord, which, despite having a few issues like windows not rolling up properly, auromatic locks being busted, etc. still cranks up every time and drives like a champ getting 35 mpg. Maybe it will run for a few more years.

jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
We've had bad experiences with Ford's...They don't make a very durable car if you ask me. No offense.

How many, 1 bad experience? All I've owned are Ford's and never had trouble with any of them.

I would go with somthing that gets about 30 mpg and save some money. Not much of a difference gas wise and you will save on the sticker.

jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
I'm thinking something like the Camry hybrid isn't bad. I really like Toyotas.

What else should I look in to?

My wife has had a Toyota Yaris sedan for over 2 year now and it is a really nice car. It's only a tad smaller than a Camry and gets 35 MPG.

eatcorn (7/2/2008)

See my other post, but we've owned a Yaris for over 2 years and you will be surprised how nice it is. It competes with the Camry on style and comfort and the sedan has a huge trunk.

At the time we bought it I was not married to my wife and I was so impressed by the Yaris I actually co signed with it for her so she could buy it even though we were only living together. I figure if she defaulted I'd easily take the car cause I liked it alot.

After two years I have nothing but good things to say about the Yaris.

GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
Get a Camry Hybrid. dont get that prius crap. im trying to talk my dad out of a Prius also. Either a Camry Hybrid or a Honda Accord Hybrid. Both get really good gas, and a regular sedans that will fit 5 people comfortable.

Why is the Prius crap exactly?

Also, the Camry hybrid gets about 12mpg less than the Prius, and they don't make an Accord Hybrid anymore (and the used one didn't get great mileage to begin with).

Also, pt. II, the Prius has an interior almost as big as an Accord/Camry.

SteelerDawg6481 (7/2/2008)
jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
We've had bad experiences with Ford's...They don't make a very durable car if you ask me. No offense.
WORD!

Ford blows!

Chevy all the way.

I mean this with all respect, but you are the most homerific person on this message board. I think I just made a new word up.

jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
WORD!

Ford blows!

Chevy all the way.

A Georgia Fan agreeing with a Tennessee fan who attends UGA on the Ford/Chevy issue...

-400 man points, lol.

The Mustang pwns you!

2a856104-a996-4308-ac39-601e.JPG

LennonMcCartney (7/2/2008)
jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
WORD!

Ford blows!

Chevy all the way.

I mean this with all respect, but you are the most homerific person on this message board. I think I just made a new word up.

really wow id assume it would be Me, KOOL IM NOT THE BIGGEST HOMER!!!:D

GEORGIAfan (7/2/2008)
LennonMcCartney (7/2/2008)
jdu00743 (7/2/2008)
WORD!

Ford blows!

Chevy all the way.

really wow id assume it would be Me, KOOL IM NOT THE BIGGEST HOMER!!!:D

Horrific + Homer `" you

you're just a homer :)

simp2006_HomerArmsCrossed_f.jpg