I think I got ripped off...

I ordered a boombox for my sirius radio more than a week ago from an online company, dogstarradios.com. The item still hasn't shipped, so I decided to do a little research that probably should have been done before buying from a website for the first time. Turns out, a lotta people got screwed over by Dog Star Radios. Seems they send you an email saying your item has shipped and even provide a UPS tracking number for it. But the UPS tracking page never shows anything except "billing info received" which means UPS never actually receives the item for shipping. And it is impossible to get in touch with anyone from the numbers and email addresses on their website. They never respond to emails and don't pick up the phone. I paid for this with my bank of america visa card, is there anything I can do to get my money back???

This is a trick that PayPal uses. They want people to have the money directly taken out of their debit account so there's very little chance of the company filing a dispute. When you try to pay directly with a CC, Paypal will prompt you a couple of times asking are you sure and telling you how convenient it is for you to pay directly. This is all a tactic to avoid CC disputes, because they do not play around about their money. They want you to file a "Paypal dispute" and be the mediator. They can't make anyone pay anything back, and it's rare to get your money back unless the scum is stupid enough to leave the money in their account, or has a change of heart.

I ALWAYS pay with a credit card now after being lucky ONE time and getting my money back through a dispute (and VERY little help from PayPal).

Beau J (7/1/2008)
This is a trick that PayPal uses. They want people to have the money directly taken out of their debit account so there's very little chance of the company filing a dispute. When you try to pay directly with a CC, Paypal will prompt you a couple of times asking are you sure and telling you how convenient it is for you to pay directly. This is all a tactic to avoid CC disputes, because they do not play around about their money. They want you to file a "Paypal dispute" and be the mediator. They can't make anyone pay anything back, and it's rare to get your money back unless the scum is stupid enough to leave the money in their account, or has a change of heart.

I ALWAYS pay with a credit card now after being lucky ONE time and getting my money back through a dispute (and VERY little help from PayPal).

Yep, they will alway try to default to direct draft, CC too much trouble ha. Always use a real CC on internet purchases. Debit Cards are the most dangerous trash you can carry in your wallet.

robpanama (7/1/2008)
Beau J (7/1/2008)

Yep, they will alway try to default to direct draft, CC too much trouble ha. Always use a real CC on internet purchases. Debit Cards are the most dangerous trash you can carry in your wallet.

they are also dangerous to use IMO at stores.. we had a local kroger for a week was having their uscan's credit card numbers harvested. they finally found the device that was being used.. we only use our CC and fortunately we use just 1 CC for all purchases so it was easy to get changed.. it is much more of a hassle to use a debit card.

thanks for the feedback. i'll try to contact Visa about it but I'm not very hopeful...

looks like a need to get a new credit card. I have one that I got almost 5 yrs ago right out of high school but the interest rate is so high I don't like to use it very much.

robpanama (7/1/2008)

I dont know what trash you're talking about but my Visa debit card has the exact same protection as any of my other credit cards.

dan9124 (7/2/2008)
thanks for the feedback. i'll try to contact Visa about it but I'm not very hopeful...

looks like a need to get a new credit card. I have one that I got almost 5 yrs ago right out of high school but the interest rate is so high I don't like to use it very much.

You said you had a Bank of America card...if you want a credit card with a reasonable APR try Bank of America's Platinum Plus Visa. I got mine when I graduated from college with ZERO credit history (aside from student loans that weren't even in repayment) and my APR is only 10%.