I just don't get the drtilling argument. It's obvious that the time to move away form oil has come...so the answer is to go to greater lengths to find more oil?

End it. Now. Call upon the American people to stand up and be done wiht it to the best of their ability. When did we turn into a nation of pansies?

If current times don't do it, what will convince you that the time is nigh?

Steve_Bartkowski (7/1/2008)
Did you really need a new thread for this? Dems have blocked new drilling every step of the way:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000-present

In December 2000, a Coast Guard report charged Alyeska with repeated safety violations at a Valdez terminal, causing prices to jump again. The administration of U.S. President George W. Bush pushed to perform exploratory drilling for oil and gas in and around the refuge. The House of Representatives voted in mid-2000 to allow drilling. In April 2002, the Senate rejected it.

Arctic Refuge drilling was again approved by the Republican controlled House of Representatives as part of the Energy Bill on April 21, 2005,[18] but the Arctic Refuge provision was later removed by the House-Senate conference committee. The Republican controlled Senate passed Arctic Refuge drilling on March 16, 2005 as part of the federal budget resolution for fiscal year 2006.[19] That Arctic Refuge provision was removed during the reconciliation process, due to Democrats in the House of Representatives who signed a letter stating they would oppose any version of the budget that had Arctic Refuge drilling in it.[20]

On December 15, 2005, Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) attached an Arctic Refuge drilling amendment to the annual defense appropriations bill. A group of Democratic Senators led a successful filibustering of the bill on December 21, 2005, and the language was subsequently removed from the bill.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge...ing_controversy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked how much was done when the repubs had majority. Care to answer that? It's a simple question with a simple answer. NONE.

Care to answer why play games like attaching a drilling bill to a defense appropriations bill? OH! so you can say the dems voted against the Defense bill when really they were against your attaching other bills to it?

And maybe GW should be concerned about his daddiies offshore ban.

eatcorn (7/1/2008)
I just don't get the drtilling argument. It's obvious that the time to move away form oil has come...so the answer is to go to greater lengths to find more oil?

End it. Now. Call upon the American people to stand up and be done wiht it to the best of their ability. When did we turn into a nation of pansies?

We need a short term and long term strategy.

For the short term (10-20 years) fossil fuels will still be our main energy source. We have such a huge investment in machinery that runs on fossil fuels, that it will take at least that long to move to machines that run on other power sources. We need to take steps to mitigate the damage oil shortages will do to our economy during the short term.

For the long term (20+ years) alternative energy can be our future if we work on it. That means not only perfecting other energy sources, but replacing the current fossil fuel machinery with machines that run on the alternative fuels. That's at least a 20 year job.

I don't know why this is complicated for people. We need a short term and long term strategy. We need to develop both fossil for the short term, and alternative for the long term.

eatcorn (7/1/2008)

Easier said than done. I'll call it a "pipedream".

We've become a nation that has been built, physically, financially and politically on the use of petroleum/oil. Unless we can find a readily available energy source that's easily accessible and could be easily assimilated into the American way of life and commerce, then what you're saying is just about a lame of an argument as those who say we should drill more.

Brookhaven (7/1/2008)
eatcorn (7/1/2008)

We need a short term and long term strategy.

For the short term (10-20 years) fossil fuels will still be our main energy source. We have such a huge investment in machinery that runs on fossil fuels, that it will take at least that long to move to machines that run on other power sources. We need to take steps to mitigate the damage oil shortages will do to our economy during the short term.

For the long term (20+ years) alternative energy can be our future if we work on it. That means not only perfecting other energy sources, but replacing the current fossil fuel machinery with machines that run on the alternative fuels. That's at least a 20 year job.

I don't know why this is complicated for people. We need a short term and long term strategy. We need to develop both fossil for the short term, and alternative for the long term.

I can agree we need to find solutions. The first solution is to see it is not a one party to blame game. That is my pooint. When repubs had the majority, we did no domestic drilling so why point fingers at Dems? It is both sides being stupid and stubborn,it is both sides playing games. Can we all admit that much?