Why is everyone complaining about the center position?

Fan Z

Of all the spots on the line, the coaching staff has already said that the center position is set with McClure in the lineup, and not a single person has ANY trust in what they've stated. They brought in a guy in Alex Steponovich that has starting experience (although his play was never spectacular) from Arizona and is great depth to have.

Smith/Dimitroff brought in Steponovich as their guy, and axe a sixth round draft pick from the Petrino/McKay era in Doug Datish, and people continue to complain about Datish's release. WHY??? This guy had potential, but he had no professional experience, he was brought in by an entirely different coaching staff/GM, and we brought in a vet whose experience automatically makes him better than Datish, yet no one realizes this!

If the coaching staff, which is led by a guy that is basically the complete opposite of Petrino and includes an OL coach with over 20 years of experience as opposed to none like last year's OL coach, says that the C position is settled because the starter is good enough to lead the OL and play some football, and roster changes are made to sure up the depth, then WHY doesn't everyone at least say "I hope that the decisions they've made are the best for the team," let alone support the decision, instead of completely bitching about every single roster move????

Left tackle... spot's up for grabs. Left guard... spot's up for grabs. Right tackle... spot's up for grabs. Right guard... that spot's up for grabs too. But one spot has been decided and yet for whatever reason, instead of being glad that at least some team decsions have been made, especially for an important part of the OL like the center position, people scream at the top of their lungs and expose just how much faith they lack in the team.

Support your team. The Atlanta Falcons is not simply a drawing that gets painted onto the 50 yard line, it's not a uniform. It's an organization. It's a team consisting of 53 players and a coaching staff. Decisions are made by people who know what they're doing and their actions matter more than armchair the actions of GMs.

Trust that the moves made are the best for the team. If people keep claiming that McClure is too light and gets pushed around too much, then look at the stats: he's started 111 games since 2001, missing only 1 game. That's starting for Reeves, Mora, Petrino, and now Smith. He consistently EARNS the starting role, he doesn't get it by default.

Another thing: he's listed as 295 lbs. The average weight for starting NFL centers is 301 lbs according to the weights on NFL.com. That means McClure is only 6 pounds under the league average, it's not like he's that small. Stop being so stupid and harsh about the team that you're supposed to love, cmon people.

GO FALCONS!!!

bigduke633 (6/28/2008)
You do want competition at every position right?When was the last time we had a probowl center?

It's not like the starting position was just given to him, it was earned during/after OTAs. Again, the coaching staff has done their research and worked with him so far this offseason and he got the starting position... AGAIN. That's 8 years in a row now. Seems pretty consistent to me...

Fan Z (6/28/2008)
bigduke633 (6/28/2008)
You do want competition at every position right?When was the last time we had a probowl center?

It's not like the starting position was just given to him, it was earned during/after OTAs. Again, the coaching staff has done their research and worked with him so far this offseason and he got the starting position... AGAIN. That's 8 years in a row now. Seems pretty consistent to me...

Yeah,good job.Long in the tooth.Probably our guy in 2008 but we need to get ready for the next center.Maybe a better backup helps him in the long run.Not sure about his contract situation.

Duke, yes we all want a probowl center, Lt and all across the ol but they are not on the roster. So, who is the best at every position right now? Right now McClure is best we have at center. mho 

good post fan z

McClure weighed in at 301lbs this year, and played over 300lbs last year according to Steve Wyche. The 295lbs weight is from the Alex Gibbs era.

To you and me, this 6 pounds means absolutely nothing, but to some around here being 299lbs or under  means too light but 300lbs or over means you are an earth mover.

McClure is just fine for couple more years.  Stepanovich is a capable backup who can also play guard.

Alex Mack from Cal. (6'5", 316), one of the best center prospect in years, will be in next years draft -- but it would take a first round pick. The kid from Arkansas (I forgot his name) is also very good and might be available in the 2nd round.

chuck (6/28/2008)
McClure is just fine for couple more years.  Stepanovich is a capable backup who can also play guard.

Alex Mack from Cal. (6'5", 316), one of the best center prospect in years, will be in next years draft -- but it would take a first round pick. The kid from Arkansas (I forgot his name) is also very good and might be available in the 2nd round.

You better be superman at center to go in the 3rd round.

trubirdfan4life (6/29/2008)
how long have we been one of the worst pass protecting lines in the league?[/quote

As long as we havent been drafting OL and building the OL through FA. That changes now, Baker was a good pick though he was the last this year. I believe we will draft an OL or 2 on day 1 next year.

Robb4242 (6/28/2008)
We've been very weak in the middle of the OL for going on 8 years now......we did well running a ZBS, but when it comes to short yardage or pass protection, the middle of the line just caves. But it's not the center's fault..........<_<

ROB, IT'S NOT JUST WEAK IN THE MIDDLE. THEY WERE POURING IN THERE FROM EVERY WHERE LAST YEAR. I DON'T CARE HOW GOOD A CENTER IS ...... HE CAN'T STOP'EM ALL!

REV.2000

ROB, IT'S NOT JUST WEAK IN THE MIDDLE. THEY WERE POURING IN THERE FROM EVERY WHERE LAST YEAR. I DON'T CARE HOW GOOD A CENTER IS ...... HE CAN'T STOP'EM ALL!

REV,

We've had poor OG play and poor LT play here for years. The proof?   The new staff has Forney at second team right now, LT has been a revolving door of has beens, journeymen and nobodies and we've watched LG get replaced constantly with players that totally suck like Matt Lehr or a rookie Blalock that missed scores of blocking assignments.  

I've watched McClure get blamed for all pressure coming from not just both "A" gaps, but also both "B" gaps, as well as seen him get blamed for blitzing LBs and safeties that were not his responsibility at all.

I've come on this board and seen 10 threads started about McClure giving up a sack, seen in post game interviews a RB and FB admit they missed the assignment on that play, and had the coach in an interview corroborate this, yet some here continue to say it was all McClures fault still!  Evidence means nothing to the McClure hater, thye dismiss the evidence and still insist it was McClures fault.

Why did Petrino fail here? It was 100% McClures fault, after all, McClure was on the field all year wasn't he? The link is undeniable! :w00t:

Of all the spots on the line, the coaching staff has already said that the center position is set with McClure in the lineup, and not a single person has ANY trust in what they've stated. They brought in a guy in Alex Steponovich that has starting experience (although his play was never spectacular) from Arizona and is great depth to have.

Smith/Dimitroff brought in Steponovich as their guy, and axe a sixth round draft pick from the Petrino/McKay era in Doug Datish, and people continue to complain about Datish's release. WHY??? This guy had potential, but he had no professional experience, he was brought in by an entirely different coaching staff/GM, and we brought in a vet whose experience automatically makes him better than Datish, yet no one realizes this!

If the coaching staff, which is led by a guy that is basically the complete opposite of Petrino and includes an OL coach with over 20 years of experience as opposed to none like last year's OL coach, says that the C position is settled because the starter is good enough to lead the OL and play some football, and roster changes are made to sure up the depth, then WHY doesn't everyone at least say "I hope that the decisions they've made are the best for the team," let alone support the decision, instead of completely bitching about every single roster move????

Left tackle... spot's up for grabs. Left guard... spot's up for grabs. Right tackle... spot's up for grabs. Right guard... that spot's up for grabs too. But one spot has been decided and yet for whatever reason, instead of being glad that at least some team decsions have been made, especially for an important part of the OL like the center position, people scream at the top of their lungs and expose just how much faith they lack in the team.

Support your team. The Atlanta Falcons is not simply a drawing that gets painted onto the 50 yard line, it's not a uniform. It's an organization. It's a team consisting of 53 players and a coaching staff. Decisions are made by people who know what they're doing and their actions matter more than armchair the actions of GMs.

Trust that the moves made are the best for the team. If people keep claiming that McClure is too light and gets pushed around too much, then look at the stats: he's started 111 games since 2001, missing only 1 game. That's starting for Reeves, Mora, Petrino, and now Smith. He consistently EARNS the starting role, he doesn't get it by default.

Another thing: he's listed as 295 lbs. The average weight for starting NFL centers is 301 lbs according to the weights on NFL.com. That means McClure is only 6 pounds under the league average, it's not like he's that small. Stop being so stupid and harsh about the team that you're supposed to love, cmon people.

GO FALCONS!!!

encore

Most of the preseason have had positive to good remarks about McClure. The rest of the offensive line has been chewed up by the sports media talking heads.

About another loneman, has Sam Baker ,our projected Left Tackle been signed, (and how about the ILB, Lofton), has he been signed?

Peace

Fan Z (6/28/2008)

Smith/Dimitroff brought in Steponovich as their guy, and axe a sixth round draft pick from the Petrino/McKay era in Doug Datish, and people continue to complain about Datish's release. WHY??? This guy had potential, but he had no professional experience, he was brought in by an entirely different coaching staff/GM, and we brought in avet whose experience automatically makes him better than Datish, yet no one realizes this!

GO FALCONS!!!

I'll answer the question. Because there is a certain class of people on this board who are not happy unless they are complaining about something.

They seem to associate negativity about the team with sagacity and intellect.

chifalc

I'll answer the question. Because there is a certain class of people on this board who are not happy unless they are complaining about something.

They seem to associate negativity about the team with sagacity and intellect.

and the sad part about that is we wake up every single day with a choice. I choose, on mos days, to wake up looking at the blessings, the good, the positive.....I therefore am happy, smiling and enthusiastic most days.

There are some trapped in this negative cycle, feeling the world has done them wrong, nobody does what they should......these people play the "victim" role, society and God has wronged them and they are very upset about getting the short end of the stick. I happen to believe that for ever short end of the stick, there is also a long one and that's the one I grab.

In my experiences, as long as someone is playing the victim they will never, ever be happy. The reason? The reason is that while these victims are so busy blaming society and God for their problems they can't see the real problem.  The real problem is their attitudes.