Your the Gm

gage

Well what the patriots do, and what Dimitroff already said himself he is trying to do here, is get ROLE PLAYERS for the team. So the answer is not "superstars" persay, you dont draft for superstars, players BECOME superstars. We draft players for our scheme and for limited role.

Its the definition of being a team player. A great example from this past draft is Chevis Jackson, considered in the mold of a prototypical Cover 2 Corner, excelling in zone coverage, but we know he's never going to be a Deangelo or Champ Bailey type player.

if im the GM, then i take dorsey and keep all the same picks, besides robert james( id take a good Oline) i would build the team, then find the perfect qb for the team. like what the Steelers did. i mean next year tyrod taylor comes out( i believe) Mobile like vick great arm, but good head on his shoulders. or Matt Stafford.

Good players that fit the scheme. Guys that are notorious for being team guys. Stats are nice and desired but find the guys that have the stats and the intangibles. Every guy we drafted had them. The issue with our draftees was not whether they were good college players with the good stats, it was more so issues with their phyiscal specs translating to the next level. I'll take a guy that's two inches too short that will lay the smack down and do his job over a guy that is a physical specimen and cares more about grabbing INTs and getting his name in the paper.

Im looking for Ballers with GREAT production first and foremost, then the intangibles... I would want to draft players that felt it was a NEED to be the best in the NFL at their respective positions. Motivation and work ethic are both huge intangibles imo, and any prospect without them would be no where near my board...

gage (6/28/2008)
When making picks for a rebuilding franchise are you looking for superstars (stats) or winners?

It depends on who's available and what you need when it's your turn to pick. Regardless of flash or fame, you have to fill holes and needs. You begin thinking about those that can make an immediate impact on your team. But if something great falls in your lap and it's not necesarily who you're looking for, you have a decision to make. We dropped the ball with Dorsey. I hope we can still have some good push in the middle though, then it won't matter.

As Floyd Reese (ex Oilers GM) used to saym, the golden rule of the draft is "if you don't have a franchsie Qb and there is a potnetial franchise Qb available, you take him".

In fact, I think that you should spend your top picks on the premier positions (QB, OT, DE or CB) if you have need in any of those positions - particualrly when picking in the top 10 given the size of the top rookie contracts. If you don't need help at a premier position, you look at RB or MLB.

If I was picking in the top 10, I wouldn't fill another position unless either (a) we didn't have needs at one of the 6 positions, or there is a "one in a generation" type prospect available at another position.

Given our needs, Mat Ryan was the right pick. We needed a QB and OT, and Ryan was rated far above the best OT on the board when we picked. DT's rerely get taken in the top 5 because DT isn't a premier position. Taking Dorsey and giving him $9m-10m a season when the elite DT in the NFL earn less than $7m would have been madness. 

ukfalc (6/29/2008)
As Floyd Reese (ex Oilers GM) used to saym, the golden rule of the draft is "if you don't have a franchsie Qb and there is a potnetial franchise Qb available,you take him".

In fact, I think that you should spend your top pickson the premier positions (QB, OT, DE or CB) if you have need in any of those positions - particualrly when picking in the top 10 given the size of the toprookie contracts. If you don'tneed help at a premier position, you look at RB or MLB.

If I was pickingin the top 10, I wouldn'tfill another positionunless either (a) we didn't have needs at one of the 6 positions, or thereis a "one in a generation" typeprospect available at another position.

Given our needs, Mat Ryan was the right pick. We needed a QB and OT, and Ryan was rated far above the best OT on the board when we picked.DT's rerelyget taken in the top 5 because DT isn't a premier position. Taking Dorsey and giving him $9m-10m a season when the elite DT in the NFLearn less than $7m would have been madness.

you havent seen Dorsey if you dont think he would be worth his contract.

No rookie is worth is worth 25-30% more than every other player in NFL who plays his position and 40-50% more than the "franchise tag" number for his postion.

ukfalc (6/29/2008)

No rookie is worth is worth 25-30% more than every otherplayer in NFL who plays his position and 40-50% more than the "franchise tag" number for his postion.

tommie harris is got a 4yr 40mil contract.

I would follow Thomas Dimitroff's formula to a T.

Talented athletes only.

Hard workers.

High character people only.

Team players only.

Guys who want to improve DAILY........only.

I wouldn't consider for one minute prima donnas, spoiled brats, thugs, lazy dopes, or overweight overated entertainers.

FOOTBALL PLAYERS ONLY  !!!!!!!!

Thomas Dimitroff will have a top franchise here in Atlanta within 3 years...........following this formula.