Boy Decapitated by Batman Ride at Georgia Six Flags

ProtoType (6/28/2008)
The kid wasn't smart, his family has to pay the price for it..of course six flags is going to have to give the family some money before they get sued.

Man if i was the judge i wouldnt give him a penny. he hopped 2 not 1, but 2 restricted area fences, and wore loose articles, when it says dont do it, because it might fall off. its on almost every ride as a warning.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ProtoType (6/28/2008)
The kid wasn't smart, his family has to pay the price for it..of course six flags is going to have to give the family some money before they get sued.

Six Flags is in no way, shape or form responsible for the accident that took place earlier. The young man willingly climb over a fence onto an already noted restricted area. I do feel badly for the young man's family but his misjudgment cost him his own life.

Boy decapitated by roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia

By RHONDA COOK, MARCUS GARNER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/28/08

A 17-year-old South Carolina boy on an church outing was killed Saturday when he was struck by the popular "Batman the Ride" at Six Flags Over Georgia. It was the second Batman ride-related death at the Cobb County park.

According to the police and a statement from the amusement park, the boy and a friend climbed over two 6-foot fences -- the park perimeter fence and a second one surrounding the ride -- to get to the roller coaster. Park officials said there were numerous signs warning would-be intruders of the danger.

image_7230682.jpg
ALLEN SULLIVAN / aesullivan@ajc.com
People board a MARTA bus at Six Flags Over Georgia.

RELATED LINKS:

" More photos

" More Cobb news

" More Metro news

" Metro photo galleries

The victim was decapitated when the ride struck him, police said. The youth was not identified.

"The areas where the individuals entered were clearly marked with signs marked 'restricted area. Authorized personnel only,' and a sign on a locked gate that read 'Danger zone. Do not enter. Authorized personnel only," park spokeswoman Hela Sheth said to reporters, reading from a prepared statement.

"It is still unclear why the two men were trying to gain access to this unauthorized area," Sheth said. She declined to answer questions at an evening news conference and did not return several telephone messages seeking additional information.

The boy was with a group from Oakley Spring Baptist Church in Salley, S.C. He had been in Six Flags earlier in the day, but he and another boy left the park property to get some lunch, according to Cobb County police spokesman Sgt. Dana Pierce.

Rather than returning to the park through the regular entrance, the two boys took a shortcut, Pierce said.

"The area's clearly defined with signs," Pierce said. "It's very tragic that these individuals would decide to jump over the fence. It would be hard to imagine somebody not seeing the signs and jumping two fences."

No one on the ride was injured, Six Flags said in the statement. The boy's family was at the park at the time of the accident, according to the amusement park.

Pierce said there were many witnesses, and the county's 911 center was almost immediately flooded with calls from people reporting what they had seen.

The park's statement said one of the first to call for help was an Marietta police officer who had been in line for the Batman ride.

"Six Flags security and safety personnel responded immediately, and Cobb County Fire [Department] was on site just minutes after the incident occurred," Sheth said. "The medical examiner arrived on scene and confirmed that the 17-year-old male was killed instantaneously."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family," she said.

The Batman ride was run briefly after the accident so police investigators could take measurements. It was closed to the public Saturday evening. The rest of Six Flags remained open. The park said the ride likely would resume operating on Monday.

Batman riders dangle beneath a track and travel up to 50 m.p.h., climbing and dropping the distance equal to an 11-story building and going through two vertical loops and two single corkscrews.

The first fatality involving the Batman ride in Georgia occurred six years ago.

A 58-year-old park worker, Samuel Milton Guyton of Atlanta, was killed May 26, 2002. Guyton was in a restricted area on a platform when he was kicked in the head by 14-year-old girl on the front car of the ride. The girl was hospitalized with a leg injury.

Over the years, several ride-related deaths have been reported at Six Flags parks nationwide.

Last March, a worker dismantling a ride at Six Flags Great America near Chicago fell 40-feet to his death. In 2004 at the same park, a maintenance worker was hit by a roller coaster and killed.

A 55-year-old disabled man was killed in May 2004 when he was thrown from a ride at Six Flags New England near Springfield, Mass. Five years ago, a grandmother strapping her 4-year-old grandson into Six Flags New Orleans' Joker's Jukebox ride was hit by a spinning car when the ride began operating before she was out of the way.

⬠News researcher Joni Zeccola contributed to this story.

The worst thing here is all the people that went there hoping to ride it that didn't get to before this ##### offed himself wouldn't get to that day, nor will the people that were already going on Sunday. Like this group came from North Carolina to organize a group outing like that, you can't call it off as late on a Saturday as it happened some might already have arrived and are in motels.

The thing that is puzzling about this is they included a list of people that died in Six Flags parks it was mostly maintenance personnell that were authorized to be in there, had keys to the fenced gates and didn't have to resort to climbing 2 of them to get in there. This kid was asking for something bad to happen, when you play with fire you get burnt sucks that he died but... Whatcha gonna do?

I'd be raising he## for my admission back if I had been waiting to ride Batman and this knucklehead thought he had a good enough reason to lessen my enjoyment of my outing and got them to close a PERFECTLY GOOD ride because he got himself killed, not by the action of the ride but by his own deliberate actions.

The H.N.I.C. 2! (6/29/2008)
TerminusTiercel (6/29/2008)
And June's Darwin award goes to...

Remember this when something terrible happens in your life.......People make mistakes, he was only a kid and lost his life...Its so sad, you should make fun of things like this, or karma could come back to haunt you!

Darwin awards ARE about people making mistakes and then dying...

this is very sad, hes almost my age (about a year younger) and the saddest part has to be that the parents were THERE. how horrible would that have to be? i cant even imagine the emotions youd feel, you would just collapse. god what a horrible tragedy. while its true he shouldnt have been there it doesnt change the fact that its sad. he made a mistake and he paid for it, he doesnt deserve anyone talking about how dumb it was.

in any event, my thoughts are with the parents, his friends and family.

Remember this when something terrible happens in your life.......People make mistakes, he was only a kid and lost his life...Its so sad, you should make fun of things like this, or karma could come back to haunt you!

I know what you mean, but in reality...s**t happens for a reason. Unfortunately this reason is because a kid was being a complete #####. I do feel bad not for him, but for his family, friends, and the group he was with.

deathdawg (6/28/2008)
Beau J (6/28/2008)
Idiot. The fences are there for a reason. You may also notice the "RESTRICTED AREA" signs while you're at it. Don't give me that "Well you probably did stupid ##### when you were young" line either. Yes, I did, but that's just overboard.

Thank gawd you never did anything stupid that could have led to your death.

Ignorance on sale on isle four...

Beau is right, his own stupidity killed him. Can't slice it any other way.

The ignorance comment is unnecessary.

Leslie Wright (6/29/2008)
I've read 3 stories on different news sites.. that he was trying to get his hat, that he was trying to get a ball, and that he was trying to enter the park throught the back... anybody know the real story? My prayers are with his family.

THe real story is that a 17 yr old child died in a brutal way and you have people to virtuous to stop for a moment to just say its horrible and move on, but feel the need to interject their self-imposed wisdom of how it was the young man's fault. The real story is that apparently under EVERY circumstance, some people are so full of self-loathing that they wouldn't feel right if they didn't just kick a little dirt on a dead teen...that's the real and quite frankly, sad story.

Stupidity kills. Risky behavior has consequences and we shouldnt have to feel sorry an idiot died. If you were going to jump two fences and get the hat, at least wait till after to coaster goes by...duh. 6.5 Billion -1, big deal.

We are over populated anyways. Anytime the herd loses a cripple early, the gene pool improves. Need a few more lions, tigers and bears to help us out, oh my.

deathdawg (6/28/2008)
Beau J (6/28/2008)
Idiot. The fences are there for a reason. You may also notice the "RESTRICTED AREA" signs while you're at it. Don't give me that "Well you probably did stupid ##### when you were young" line either. Yes, I did, but that's just overboard.

Thank gawd you never did anything stupid that could have led to your death.

Ignorance on sale on isle four...

I'm ignorant because I think the kid was in the wrong for going somewhere he shouldn't have been for his OWN SAFETY? Haha, your avatar says it all.

And thank you for coming back at me with the same redundant line I said not too. Loving the originality of the argument.

EDIT: He was 17 years old at that. Do you think he didn't know better? Also, do you think the fences were there for a reason? You feel sympathy for him, yet he could have killed or hurt other people from his own stupidity. Makes sense.

swanlee (6/29/2008)
Sorry, but the Xtreme sports, mountain dew generation does need to realize that stupid behavior like this can get you killed. Maybe his stupidity will wake a few kids up.

I tried the new Mountain Dew purple one. Tasted like strawberries. It was only 89 cents at CVS. Probably would be the dankness if I threw in some vodka or gin or both.

charlestonchad (6/29/2008)
swanlee (6/29/2008)
Sorry, but the Xtreme sports, mountain dew generation does need to realize that stupid behavior like this can get you killed. Maybe his stupidity will wake a few kids up.

I tried the new Mountain Dew purple one. Tasted like strawberries. It was only 89 cents at CVS. Probably would be the dankness if I threw in some vodka or gin or both.

The new blue Mountain Dew is the ##### also. I haven't tried the pink one, but that's a good idea with the vodka or gin, even though I'm not a big liquor drinker.