Baker will be a serviceable Pro not all Pro!!!

Shanny

Well we got USC and Texas right next to each other with Sam Baker and Justin Blalock... From what I've heard they are both doing the contrary to what your speaking and I already know Blalock is very intelligent and has built up stamina that had him hit the wall last year...

We'll be fine.

Sam Baker's college career @ USC:

2007 season

Going into his fourth year as a starter, Baker was a 2007 Athlon, Sporting News, Street & Smith's, Lindy's, Phil Steele's, CBS SportsLine.com, Scout, Blue Ribbon and NationalChamps.net preseason All-American and on the Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy watch lists. He was ranked as one of the "Top 20 Players Heading Into 2007" by Sports Illustrated.[2] Before his final season in 2007, Baker was already regarded by most NFL scouts as a certain top-five player in the 2008 NFL Draft.[3]

During the 2007 season, Baker took on a leadership role in the offensive line, taking over the reins from departed senior Ryan Kalil and providing motivation as well as helping teach younger players.[4]

Despite suffering from injuries that held him out of games, Baker was again selected for the All-Pacific-10 Conference first team, his third consecutive year.[5] Baker was also named Walter Camp First Team All-American in 2007, and the SI.com All-American Second Team. Baker is expected to be drafted in the middle of the first round of the NFL Draft.

2006 season

He was on the official 2006 watch list for the Lombardi Award and the Outland Trophy watch list for the best lineman and an Athlon 2006 preseason All-American. Baker has blocked for Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart and now he blocks for John David Booty at USC. He was named to the 2005 and 2006 coaches and rivals.com All Pac-10 team First Teams[1]. He was a 2006 CBS Sportsline and FWAA first-team All-American, rivals.com second team All-American and SI All-American honorable mention.

2005 season

Baker was a 2005 All-American offensive tackle for the University of Southern California Trojans as a redshirt sophomore.

Make of that whatever you want - it sounds good to me.

Looking forward to seeing TRex in TC, once they put the pads on.

He needs to get his azz signed before TC starts.

It just seems these guys have a more laid back attitude than other schools. USC for example has to many temtations. Texas seems to think they are just better than anybody else. Not saying it's true just my opionon. Pete Carroll seems to let them do as they please.

Shanny (6/28/2008)
It just seems these guys have a more laid back attitude than other schools. USC for example has to many temtations. Texas seems to think they are just better than anybody else. Not saying it's true just my opionon. Pete Carroll seems to let them do as they please.

Blalock doesn't seem laid back at all... He has expressed his difficulties and his desire to improve and be better for the team this year... He seems extremely intelligent and willing to learn and play his role... Find me a quote where Blalock says he's better than anyone, he was very humble talking about his difficulties and hitting the rookie wall. And yes Sam Baker is out doing whatever he wants, out with Eugene Robinson getting hookers every night right?

As for Baker he seems liek he wants to be the guy also... I don't think you can stereotype our guys because of their school, just like people saying Jake Long is going to be a bust because Robert Gallery was a bust and went to the same school or all UGA defensive ends are beasts in the pros or every florida quarterback is going to be a bust...

If he's a serviceable left tackle in the NFL, I'm fine with that. He was picked 21st overall after all.

I know people want to say that since we traded up he should be an All-Pro player, but I don't see it that way. We didn't trade into the top of the first for him; we traded into the bottom. As long as he's consistently solid and plays well, I'm fine with it. That's what you ask of a player drafted where he was; consistent, solid starter who holds down his assignment and does his job game in and game out.

Direwolf

Who are the rejects turned college to pro scouts/analyst/ and experts? We hear it all too often on the board.

This guy will be great, this will be good and this guy will suck.

Until we see these guys play how are we going to critic their games?

I just dont get all the amateur-experts.

its so hard to predict what one person will do in the NFL without playing a down.

I think that our Oline will be fine if we get todd weiner back.

with the new Oline coach and the new scheme, our line will have a much better chance to succeed.

our line will be very interesting this year because we have a good mix of vets and young guys. we have a new type of lineman therefore I think that it is totally irresponsible to make any type of prediction based on last year or even the previous 4 years.

just like every other group on this team, we will just have to wait and see how they mesh under the new coaching and with new players.

NiteFalcon (6/29/2008)
Well i think Clady is going to end up being the best Tackle in this draft. But Jake Long will no doubt have a very good career too.

Im not sold on Baker, but hey what can we do but hope for the best?

Im the complete opposite i think he will be the worst of the top guys that came out. I personally liked Williams in this draft. But who knows how they will turn out it's all on their coach and how much determination and drive they have to get better because their all very talented.

direwolf (6/28/2008)
If he's a serviceable left tackle in the NFL, I'm fine with that. He was picked 21st overall after all.

I know people want to say that since we traded up he should be an All-Pro player, but I don't see it that way. We didn't trade into the top of the first for him; we traded into the bottom.As long as he's consistently solid and plays well, I'm fine with it. That's what you ask of a player drafted where he was; consistent, solid starter who holds down his assignment and does his job game in and game out.

Direwolf

Sounds about right to me... Anderson on the other hand is a different story...

formul8or (6/28/2008)
I agree, he will be solid, but he is not gonna be the next Joe Thomas.

Joe Thomas just became the next Joe Thomas. There's time. I hope Baker is solid, greatness is subjective and sometimes overrated. If he can get it done, it doesn't have to be pretty. Just Keep the QB clean and open the holes. That's the job on the OL.