Goodell: NFL rookie pay-scale 'ridiculous'

NewFalcon

As reported by the AP and printed in the AJC.

We can only hope that there is some sanity brought to the salary structure for rookies (e.g.--a salary cap formula).  Paying someone with no NFL experience millions of dollars is insane: the most money should be going to those who have proven themselves on the field. 

Remarkable (6/28/2008)
He just now figured this out? I guess Matt Ryan was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yeah, too bad he didn't figure this out last year...  Could have saved Blank a tractor trailor load of Benjamin Franklins.  Oh well, good for Ryan.  If he brings this city a Super Bowl, he will earned every penny and then some.

There's only two reasons why I would care about a players money.  Salary cap and what it costs me personally.  The tickets prices go up every year.  This is the first in a long time.  NFL licensed products.  You pay 10 times as much for a similar product because it has an NFL sticker on it.  I currently pay $2,000 to attend 8 games at the Dome.  I am not complaining but there has to be a breaking point.  I could only imagine years down the road when a new stadium is built they would have the audacity to ask season ticket holders of 20+ years to drop 1k to 10k just to get their seat back.  60% of the revenue goes to the players.

A top 10 draft pick is paid based upon his draft slot not on his perceived contribution to the team.  He is drafted as the best player available and it is the job of the agent to get a better contract for his client than the guy drafted in the same slot last year.

Now that Goodell has played the take out the criminal trash sheriff, it is time he gave some attention to this.  Even Mawae the player rep for the NFLPA says it is a joke.  No one has justified it.  I believe Upshaw will make this whole process ridiculous and complicate renewing the CBA.

phattywankenobi (7/1/2008)
There's only two reasons why I would care about a players money. Salary cap and what it costs me personally.

My sentiments exactly.

A top 10 draft pick is paid based upon his draft slot not on his perceived contribution to the team. He is drafted as the best player available and it is the job of the agent to get a better contract for his client than the guy drafted in the same slot last year.

My thought was to devise some type of points system based on draft slot and playing position, and formulate a grid. That way each guy gets paid fairly before he actually proves himself. Then, after 2 years, he can go for his money. - Just my opinion

Now that Goodell has played the take out the criminal trash sheriff, it is time he gave some attention to this. Even Mawae the player rep for the NFLPA says it is a joke. No one has justified it. I believe Upshaw will make this whole process ridiculous and complicate renewing the CBA.

I saw on NFLN bottom line where Upshaw is already against any changes. Count on him to muck it up.

IMHO, Players should have a right to earn whatever the market wishes to pay for their services: but that market determination should be based upon performance in the league and not the order of draft pick or their possible 'potential' in the NFL.

I wonder how many veteran players will continue to support Gene Upshaw as untested rookies continue to receive (not earn) big bucks before they even strap up in the NFL. 

That's just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
HailRazor (7/1/2008)
Remarkable (6/28/2008)
He just now figured this out? I guess Matt Ryan was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Funny, he didn't reference Ryan. He talked about Long. Who makes close to what Ryan will make per year, and has over half his money before he ever takes a snap.

In guaranteed money, Long makes MORE than Ryan per year.

I don't care how good a player was in college, or how great he looked at the combine, or how much hype surrounds him because of his agent or his college statistics: too many players who looked good in college turn into busts or simply run-of-the-mill players once they get into the NFL. The reality is that there is only so much money to be spread around for each team and it seems that a disproportional amount gets into the hands of untested players at the expense of veterans who have performed with excellence.

I will always believe that it's crazy to reward any untested rookie with a higher salary package than an experienced high performing player; however, that's the game we're forced to play until Godell, Upshaw and the owners finally stop the madness.

It could happen.