North Pole could be Ice free this summer. There's a historic first.

grendel (6/27/2008)
The good news is that with the increased CO2 in the atmosphere, plants are growing faster and bigger... With the warmer weather and more plant matter, bugs will grow faster and bigger... In a few years equatorial areas and sub-tropical areas like Florida will have a thriving eco-tourism market for giant bug safaris...

man, that is phenomenal news.

kicker23 (6/27/2008)
joremari (6/27/2008)
kicker23 (6/27/2008)
Bummer. Global warming still hasn't made the winter in Chicago easier to handle.

how have the summers been?

Pleasant. This year we had an extremely mild spring and we've only hit 90 once.

sounds nice. Winters must be brutal though, don't think I could deal with that.

joremari (6/27/2008)
kicker23 (6/27/2008)
joremari (6/27/2008)
kicker23 (6/27/2008)
Bummer. Global warming still hasn't made the winter in Chicago easier to handle.

how have the summers been?

Pleasant. This year we had an extremely mild spring and we've only hit 90 once.

sounds nice. Winters must be brutal though, don't think I could deal with that.

Summers are the only reason people live in this town.  Winters are horrendous.  The wind, snow and mess that comes with it (like salt, and grime) coupled with the below zero temps are enough to drive anyone insane.  And the fact that they last 6 months doesn't help. 

But yes, there is no better town on earth in the summer. 

octoslash (6/27/2008)
WE JUST DROWNED SANTA CLAUS, HIS FAT WIFE, A FACTORY FULL OF MIDGETS, AND A DOZEN GODDAM VENISON.

And people say 'global warming' is a BAD thing? :crazy:

Now that you mentioned it, it is going to screw up the Santa thing for the little ones who still believe in him.

On the other hand, parents can always say that he moved down to the South Pole...

Statick (6/27/2008)
octoslash (6/27/2008)
WE JUST DROWNED SANTA CLAUS, HIS FAT WIFE, A FACTORY FULL OF MIDGETS, AND A DOZEN GODDAM VENISON.

And people say 'global warming' is a BAD thing? :crazy:

Now that you mentioned it, it is going to screw up the Santa thing for the little ones who still believe in him.

On the other hand, parents can always say that he moved down to the South Pole...

No prob......the kids can just get their presents from AQUAMAN.

Statick (6/27/2008)
The Cush (6/27/2008)
I believe in global warming, just not the man-made kind.

I happen to recall this same level of melting (or close to it) happening in 1987-88.

It was major news then, too.

I believe in cycles of warming and cooling. Just like ice caps are melting on Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. Solar flares.

I think we should continue to research, but not invest a lot of money in something that's not a consensus from scientists. I think a carbon tax would be just stealing from people, but then again that's what thieves do.

Statick (6/27/2008)
The Cush (6/27/2008)
I believe in global warming, just not the man-made kind.

I happen to recall this same level of melting (or close to it) happening in 1987-88.

It was major news then, too.

Yeah I do too, it was big here in Alaska. Up here we are having one of the coldest years on record. Crappy too imo, but I really doubt it will melt if this weather keeps up.