Different slant on Petrino's exit

So he needed to quit to get all of two days of recruiting before the dead period for contacting recruits.  If that is the justification then I either don't understand or it is a pathetic one from the author Matt Barber.  Matt Barber's claim for expertise is traveling to every stadium.  Just because you go to McDonalds doesn't make you a cheeseburger Matty boy.

The guy makes a half azzed comparison to the crime rate in Atlanta and living in Arkansas when the guy has no clue that most of the players at least live in either Sugarloaf or Chateau Elan.

I believe this self appointed experts true intent was to bash the experts who actually get paid by big boy companies.

That article wasn't perspective it was some bozo pulling the facts straight out from the wazoo.

I thought it was a fairly terrible article. Most of the bashing concerns the way Petrino left, not necessarily that he left. Even the timing could have been overlooked if he did it with some class and dignity.

As for ripping Banks for quitting, do we know the circumstances of that? Did he give proper notice? Did he leave an editor high and dry a day before a deadline? We simply don't know.

But quitting a job is one thing. Running out in the middle of the night, leaving only a note for your players, letting your coaching staff sit unaware on a crucial game-planning day, and setting up a press conference at 10 at night so no national/Atlanta media can get there is just cowardly.

I saw in a Petrino interview on one of the southern sports channels where he said he had gotten some atheletes who had committed themselves to other schools to BREAK that committment and come to Arkansas. It's sad to hear that the youth is being taught the slimy Petrino way. Oh well.

Fanboy3000 (6/27/2008)
I thought it was a fairly terrible article. Most of the bashing concerns the way Petrino left, not necessarily that he left. Even the timing could have been overlooked if he did it with some class and dignity.

As for ripping Banks for quitting, do we know the circumstances of that? Did he give proper notice? Did he leave an editor high and dry a day before a deadline? We simply don't know.

But quitting a job is one thing. Running out in the middle of the night, leaving only a note for your players, letting your coaching staff sit unaware on a crucial game-planning day, and setting up a press conference at 10 at night so no national/Atlanta media can get there is just cowardly.

u guys are so freaking clueless. petrino was lied to by blank as to how much control he would have. even u yuck-yucks must know this. blank gave his blessing, then when your dogcatcher was sentenced, changed his mind to avoid yet another massive PR blunder. guess what? didn't work.

oh, and how many games were left when blank FIRED dan reaves (u do remember him, right?). i'll educate u: THREE. same as petrino had left.

how do u think rich mckay feels about blank, u know, the guy who announced parcells was coming in without telling mckay about it? (of course, that was another lie; if u haven't noticed, parcells is at miami).

long as blank is at the helm, u will never get a real coach. best u could do this time was the brother-in-law of one.

enjoy 2-14.

meantime, i'll enjoy watching petrino rebuild arkansas into a national power.

PetrinoRawDoggedTheDurtyBirds (6/27/2008)
I can see why Petrino left that **** hole...

Blank is the worst owner in the league, owning the worst franchise...

what 35 years with 10 winning seasons? LOL

Good luck on back 2 back winning seasons losers, idk why Petrino took that sorry ##### job in the first place.

Check the guys entire history... it will be funny when he does the same thing to Hogtown.

(6/27/2008)
Fanboy3000 (6/27/2008)

u guys are so freaking clueless. petrino was lied to by blank as to how much control he would have. even u yuck-yucks must know this. blank gave his blessing, then when your dogcatcher was sentenced, changed his mind to avoid yet another massive PR blunder. guess what? didn't work.

oh, and how many games were left when blank FIRED dan reaves (u do remember him, right?). i'll educate u: THREE. same as petrino had left.

how do u think rich mckay feels about blank, u know, theguy who announced parcells was coming in without telling mckay about it? (of course, that was another lie; if u haven't noticed, parcells is at miami).

long as blank is at the helm, u will never get a real coach. best u could do this time was the brother-in-law of one.

enjoy 2-14.

meantime, I'll enjoy watching petrino rebuild Arkansas into a national power.

It is you that is so freaking clueless. Blank was lied to by Petrino when he shook his hand, said he was his coach, and two days later was at a hog press conference. Is this the kind of...ahem..man that you give complete control of a team of men to?

Are you really saying it was okay for Petrino to QUIT with 3 games remaining just because Reeves was fired with three games remaining? Please.

How do you think the team feel about Petrino, you know the guy who let their starting quarterback find out he was being replaced by Byron Leftwich, through the media (if you haven't noticed, Byron is out of a job)

Blank is at the helm, and he found us a real coach. Goes by the name of Mike Smith i think, and really knows how to deal with men unlike yours.

I will enjoy whatever record we have. We have an honest coach who is building a great future for this team.

meantime, ill enjoy watching Petrino build Arkansas into a national Joke

No, let me educate your dumb-###.  Dan Reeves was told that he would not retained the following year as Falcons Head Coach with 3 games left to give him as much time to make career decisions as possible.  The choice to leave at that time was his.  Blank wanted him to stay the remainder of the season.....

Get your story straight:)

dunc (6/27/2008)

No, let me educate your dumb-###. Dan Reeves was told that he would not retained the following year as Falcons Head Coach with 3 games left to give him as much time to make career decisions as possible. The choice to leave at that time was his. Blank wanted him to stay the remainder of the season.....

Get your story straight:)

not hat smart are you? dan elected to leave, as he knew blank was gonna fire him. so blank let him go.

your pig of a coach will just straight leave after your crappy team losses too much.

If you guys need to refresh your memory(or learn it the first time) on what happened with the Reeves "firing", here is what happened:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Reeves - Hey Arthur, if you ever decide to move in a different direction, please be upfront with me about it.

Blank - Yeah Dan, I think we going to move in a different direction at the end of the season, and since you said that if I ever decide to that then be upfront about it so I figure I let you know ahead of time.

Reeves - Arthur, in that case I can't finish the season.  My heart just wouldn't be into it.

Blank - That's too bad.  I wish you would reconsider though.

Reeves - Thank you, but my mind are made up.

Well I hope people are enlightened.  It might not have been exactly word for word, but living in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Atlanta at the time that was what happened.  Some even suggested that Reeves left early so Wade Phillips could have a shot at the job.  So enough with this Blank fired Reeves with 3 games left crap.  If anything Reeves quitted instead of finishing the season.

Jigga Donkey (6/27/2008)
Good article.

The city of ATL is one of the worst in the country and the Falcon franchise is among the worst in the league. I don't blame Petrino at all and I would have done the same thing.

Actually the city of Atlanta is one of the best in the country.  Right up there with other big cities that offer just about anything you could want.  It is up to each person's discretion what is right for you to get involved in.  At least in the ATL you have a lot of choices.

Guest Gritz
Jigga Donkey (6/27/2008)
Good article.

The city of ATL is one of the worst in the country and the Falcon franchise is among the worst in the league. I don't blame Petrino at all and I would have done the same thing.

There are very few things that bring a tear to my eye on this message board....but one clueless troll expressing man love for another troll and his delusional ramblings....sniff....sniff....that's awfully sweet.:w00t::w00t:

PetrinoRawDoggedTheDurtyBirds (6/27/2008)
I can see why Petrino left that **** hole...

Blank is the worst owner in the league, owning the worst franchise...

what 35 years with 10 winning seasons? LOL

Good luck on back 2 back winning seasons losers, idk why Petrino took that sorry ##### job in the first place.

I cee dey dun puta cumperta lab en da traila perk. U boyz goin hog crazy oba der on dat intronet.:D

Jigga Donkey (6/27/2008)
Good article.

WHAT'S THAT OTHER NAME THEY CALL A DONKEY ???? YEA ..... THAT'S IT .... THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE.:w00t:

(6/27/2008)
Fanboy3000 (6/27/2008)

i dont care if he was lied to by blank, and i dont know how you could possibly be sure of that, since its sure to have come from the horses mouth. however, petrino clearly thought he was going to run the whole show, which is not how the NFL works. he demanded respect and demanded that the players buy into his ideas and his expectations, yet he could not motivate them to save his life and never gave them any of the respect he expected from them. they quit on him and then he quit on them when he left again. it was a horrible situation but it all stemmed from how petrino tried to handle GROWN men. he tried to handle them like kids and from that very instant we were doomed.

what the F**K does that have to do with ANYTHING you idiot? blank fired reeves with 3 games left, ok. petrino QUIT and DITCHED the team with 3 games left with a **** note with 3 games left and a day later was smiling a big toothy grin while doing the woo pig sooey or whatever the **** its called. as remarkable as it might seem to you, there is a substantial difference and the only similarity is how many games were left in the season when both were removed from the team, 3.

how do u think rich mckay feels about blank, u know, the guy who announced parcells was coming in without telling mckay about it? (of course, that was another lie; if u haven't noticed, parcells is at miami).

if i was mckay id probably thank blank for not firing him outright. so many decisions he has made over the years have fallen flat on their face, and i supported him through many of them. the draft classes produced so little talent that is still on the team that it was essentially a waste. so to be honest id consider myself lucky to still have a job on our team, because his track record here has not been very good.

blank is not at the helm, Thomas Dimitroff is. and mike smith seems very well qualified to be our HC, and im excited by his hire. your ignorance grows and grows with every piece of this i reply to. you clearly have no idea what youre talking about.

enjoy 2-14.

funny i was about to tell you to enjoy your own 2-4 win season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:laugh: :laugh: :w00t: :w00t: