The true meaning of "from the inside out"?

ThunderCookie

When TD and Smitty took over the team, they promised old school smash mouth football. They also said they would build from the inside out.  In my mind, that meant beefing up the trenches. And while I fully expected several lineman to be drafted this year, we got one. I was confused to say the least.

But I started to see the method to the madness with the Harry Douglas pick. I was so angry when we picked a wide receiver.  And then the so called experts on tv tried to tell me why wasting a pick on a wide out was a good idea.  Blah, blah, blah... Until I heard this phrase, "tough as nails."

That struck me as an odd phrase for that position, and suddenly I was happy with the pick. 

That Monday, I began researching our picks.  While other than Lofton, I either didn't know or didn't want most of draft picks.  But the more I read, watched, and listened; the same two phrases kept popping about almost every pick. "Smart" and "tough as nails". It reminded of how the last three seasons had ended.  The team giving up down the stretch. The team looking like they were throwing in the towel when the officiating didn't go their way.  Most of the time, we played neither smart nor tough.

So maybe the new regime is building from the inside.  Changing the mindset of this team.  They are giving this team the most important thing "inside":

HEART.

Let's hope "tough" can also translate into "disciplined".  Mora didn't hold these guys accountable and the Pig was neither a teacher nor a motivator.  Half the battle is knowing what to do in any situation and it takes practice and hard work to get that instinct.

Nice post and I agree that this seems to be a key philosophy that TD and MS are using to rebuild the team.  We're finally going after mentally AND physically tough players who won't give up, aren't afraid to take a hit, and who will believe that we always have a chance to win as long as there's time left on the clock. 

I also believe that the concepts of discipline and accountability are additional key attributes to building a successful football team, and expect that Mike Smith isn't likely to put up with stupid/childish penalties from anyone. 

If we combine the requisite NFL level football skills with a good game plan, solid coaching, physical & mental toughness, discipline & accountability, strong character & integrity we can be well on the way toward building a competitive team and a playoff spot.

It could happen. :D

HailRazor (6/27/2008)
  When TD and Smitty took over the team, they promised old school smash mouth football. They also said they would build from the inside out.  In my mind, that meant beefing up the trenches. And while I fully expected several lineman to be drafted this year, we got one. I was confused to say the least.

But I started to see the method to the madness with the Harry Douglas pick. I was so angry when we picked a wide receiver.  And then the so called experts on tv tried to tell me why wasting a pick on a wide out was a good idea.  Blah, blah, blah... Until I heard this phrase, "tough as nails."

That struck me as an odd phrase for that position, and suddenly I was happy with the pick. 

That Monday, I began researching our picks.  While other than Lofton, I either didn't know or didn't want most of draft picks.  But the more I read, watched, and listened; the same two phrases kept popping about almost every pick. "Smart" and "tough as nails". It reminded of how the last three seasons had ended.  The team giving up down the stretch. The team looking like they were throwing in the towel when the officiating didn't go their way.  Most of the time, we played neither smart nor tough.

So maybe the new regime is building from the inside.  Changing the mindset of this team.  They are giving this team the most important thing "inside":

HEART.

and you can tell they are smart and have heart by a couple of minicamps? - How in the **** did you get in this Forum? Tough as nails? - don't make me laugh.......Rookies that are tough as nails, eat tree bark and spit out houses:w00t:.....an OU LB - when was the last one halfway decent?  Harry Douglass couldn't get past KY and Memphis DBs, but now we hang our seasons on him?  What happened to - you are a rookie and you ain't pizz until you do something?....smash mouth with Rookies...even 2nd and 3rd year guys don't get it.  It's not until your 4th year until you halfway figure out leverage, taking care of your body, and how to play football.  This post should have been made 2-3 years from now. These guys are more likely to be a bust than tree-bark eaters.  Wasn't Lavalais and Beck monsters with smarts and toughness?  How about JWill?  Can anyone say - Quincy Wilson? 

All these credentials need de-certifying and re-certifying in this camp.......:exclamationmark:

"Everyone has a plan, until they get hit in the mouth" - Michael Tyson

JayOzOne (6/28/2008)
Let's hope "tough" can also translate into "disciplined".  Mora didn't hold these guys accountable and the Pig was neither a teacher nor a motivator.  Half the battle is knowing what to do in any situation and it takes practice and hard work to get that instinct.

I agree and it appears from early reports that the current coaches are, while approacable, insisting on hard work and discipline from the players.  What's more, again from the early reports, it seems the players are loving it.

Guest Gritz
oregonsfan (7/1/2008)
JayOzOne (6/28/2008)
Let's hope "tough" can also translate into "disciplined". Mora didn't hold these guys accountable and the Pig was neither a teacher nor a motivator. Half the battle is knowing what to do in any situation and it takes practice and hard work to get that instinct.

I agree and it appears from early reports that the current coaches are, while approacable, insisting on hard work and discipline from the players. What's more, again from the early reports, it seems the players are loving it.

Yeah o.f., after the clowns we had trying to coach and guide this team last year, Smith, VanGorder, Mularkey, Boudreau, Hamilton, Robiskie....must seem like Hall of Fame coaches....One of the biggest upgrades to this team that hardly anyone ever talks about.......;)

gritblitzer (7/1/2008)
oregonsfan (7/1/2008)
JayOzOne (6/28/2008)
Let's hope "tough" can also translate into "disciplined". Mora didn't hold these guys accountable and the Pig was neither a teacher nor a motivator. Half the battle is knowing what to do in any situation and it takes practice and hard work to get that instinct.

I agree and it appears from early reports that the current coaches are, while approacable, insisting on hard work and discipline from the players. What's more, again from the early reports, it seems the players are loving it.

Yeah o.f., after the clowns we had trying to coach and guide this team last year, Smith, VanGorder, Mularkey, Boudreau, Hamilton, Robiskie....must seem like Hall of Fame coaches....One of the biggest upgrades to this team that hardly anyone ever talks about.......;)

The thing I love about these coaches is that they all seem to be on the same track. Maybe having unity from the GM to the position coaches will rub off on the players.

And Boudreau made a comment that goes back to my original post.  He talked about how he can help players overcome physical mistakes, but you can't help someone who doesn't have their head in the game. Basically, you can't fix stupid.

This mind set doesn't promise victory. But when you are down by 3 in 4th and the refs make a bad call, it will keep your team to from crumbling.