16 Sundays: New Orleans @ Atlanta

To read the full origin and explanation of this project click on the below link:

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/forums/Topic3545779-45-1.aspxhttp://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Post.aspx?SessionID=xor44cm5uqpmwxevs45hhk45' s_oid="http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Post.aspx?SessionID=xor44cm5uqpmwxevs45hhk45" s_oidt="0">

I figured I would embark on a project. Fact is, if you are still coming to message board during these dog days, you truly are a die-hard.  My endeavor would be to project each game on the Falcons schedule and provide a box score and write-up for it.  Sometimes the write-ups would be detailed accounts of the game, others might focus on a players contribution to the game or their role with the team.  But each game and write-up would unravel the story of the Falcons 2008 season in as realistic a fashion as possible. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The goal?  Try and re-create the excitement and enthusiasm of going through the week by week trials and tribulations of watching the Falcons again.  Each week is linked at the bottom of the article if you want to catch up.

Brees & Colston Too Much For Falcons

If the New Orleans Saints are anything, they are explosive.  On Sunday, they demonstrated just how explosive they could be.  Down 13-0 with 5:42 left in the 1st half, Drew Brees and the Saints offense took over at their own 42 yard line.  In the next 14:21, they put up 28 points.  Using almost every offensive weapon at his disposal, Brees continually found the open spot in the zone completing 11 passes (out of 12 attempts and to 6 different receivers) for 203 yards during this 28 point stretch.

For the Falcons, it s the 2nd time in 3 games they ve allowed a dominant performance on offense.  2 weeks ago, Brian Westbrook had his way against the Falcons defense.  Today, once Drew Brees settled down and found his rhythm, the Falcons had little recourse in putting up any resistance.  It s a troubling sign for a defense that had shown some signs of progress prior to the bye week.  But since then, the Falcons have allowed 82 points and over 410 total yards/game. 

It s not the direction we want to be going in allowed Coach Mike Smith.  We ve not been able to re-capture some of the intensity we were bringing to that side of the ball like we were a month or so ago.  At least not for 60 minutes.  You ll see spurts here and there, but not throughout.  For the 1st quarter and half I thought we looked good, like our old selves.  Then we allowed them to get on a roll .

Brees 378 yards were a season high and Marques Colston had a big day as well with 147 yards and a TD.  Certainly having John Abraham out since the bye week with a sprained MCL has hurt the Falcons ability to rush the passer, but Smith was reluctant to admit that his absence was so pronounced.  We are obviously a better team with John in there, but we should be able to execute at a higher level with him out.  It s no excuse .  Smith thinks Abraham should be ready to return next week against the Broncos.  He gave it a go in practice this week, but the coaching staff erred on the side of caution with him.

For Smith, he has to turn his attention to this the 3 game losing streak the Falcons are on.  Having lost 5 of their last 6, the enthusiasm that permeated the team and the locker room back in September has been muted.  Going into the bye week, there was a palpable feeling that the Falcons might be able to make a viable playoff run.  Now, the talk you hear around the locker room is about getting back in the win column.  What momentum the Falcons thought they reclaimed in their pre bye victory against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Chicago is long gone.

That was a positive development that unfortunately, we ve been unable to build on Matt Ryan inferred. We can t lament lost opportunities though, we have to create new ones and make the best of those .  The lost opportunity on Sunday was the wasting of a herculean effort by Michael Turner to put the Falcons on his back.  He rushed for a season high 119 yards on 27 carries and shows no sign of running out of gas, a question that some pundits voiced concern about since he d never been a featured back in the NFL before.  His 3.9 YPC average might be a bit lower than was hoped, but Turner has helped the Falcons re-establish a ground attack that thrives on ball control and figures it s a matter of time before he starts seeing some big runs.  For sure.  One big run and that average goes up half a point.  Nothing to be concerned about .

Of immediate concern to the Falcons is how to reverse this slide, exacerbated by a winless road record.  While Coach Smith wasn t speculating on potential adjustments, he has commented in recent weeks about wanting to get Chevis Jackson on the field more and find out if Kroy Biermann can start filling a role as a situational rusher.  There was thought that Biermann s role would expand when Abraham went down, but defensive coordinator Brian Van Gorder has relied more heavily on veterans Chauncey Davis and Simon Fraser during his absence.  While Smith is not to a point yet where he would make wholesale line-up changes, he did indicate that if the season starts to get too far away, an emphasis on getting some of the younger players on the field might be considered.  But Smith cautioned that the Falcons were not close to that point yet.  One win cures a lot .

PlayerCompAttemptsYardsComp%YPATDINTSKDYds LostScoring SummaryMatt Ryan183020460.00%6.80102101st QuarterChris Redman         Michael Turner 15 Yard TD RunD.J. Shockley         Jason Elam 30 Yard FGTOTAL183020460.00%6.80102102nd QuarterPlayerRushesYardsTDYPCReceptionsYardsTDYPRFumblesJason Elam 42 Yard FGMichael Turner2711914.41221010.50 David Patten 14 Yard TD ReceptionJerious Norwood31906.33112012.00 Marques Colston 16 Yard TD ReceptionThomas Brown         Ovie Mughelli26  140  3rd QuarterMatt Ryan1-2 -2.00    1Eric Johnson 20 Yard TD ReceptionChris Redman         Reggie Bush 8 Yard TD RunRoddy White    773010.43 Laurent Robinson      0  4th QuarterHarry Douglass    225112.50 Harry Douglas 15 Yard TD ReceptionBen Hartsock         Taylor Melhaff 36 Yard FGMartrez Milner    332010.67 Michael Jenkins   

This is the point in the season that we enter the "Abraham SHOULD return this week" phase.  Just to find out he won't be back. 

Although your reads are getting more depressing, they're still well written and fun to read.  Adn this is probably how it's going to go.

Farmer (6/26/2008)
This is the point in the season that we enter the "Abraham SHOULD return this week" phase.  Just to find out he won't be back. 

Although your reads are getting more depressing, they're still well written and fun to read.  Adn this is probably how it's going to go.

its not fun, its depressing to see a so called fan writing this crap. every week, lose, lose, lose..i mean ****, have some faith in your team. we lost to the raiders last week. i mean come on now, russell, and mcfadden i agree are gonna be a good tandem IN THE FUTURE, but not now. abe can easily rack up 3-4 sacks if he is going up against robert gallery. if he get pressure on jamarcus, hes gonna be force to take off all the time, while we have lofton and boley waiting to put a good lick on him.

crankthatbatman (6/26/2008)

its not fun, its depressing to see a so called fan writing this crap. every week, lose, lose, lose..i mean ****, have some faith in your team. we lost to the raiders last week. i mean come on now, russell, and mcfadden i agree are gonna be a good tandem IN THE FUTURE, but not now. abe can easily rack up 3-4 sacks if he is going up against robert gallery. if he get pressure on jamarcus, hes gonna be force to take off all the time, while we have lofton and boley waiting to put a good lick on him.

Abraham has been out since the bye week.

TheDirtyWordII (6/26/2008)

:w00t:

Either crankthatbatman can't comprehend that, or he just doesn't read your posts and just looks at the score.

I see this happening. Without Abraham, our D would literally become a MESS. He is the only true, proven, 'pure' pass rusher on our entire roster and if he is down, the entire D will fall apart.

nuccah (6/26/2008)

Either crankthatbatman can't comprehend that, or he just doesn't read your posts and just looks at the score.

I see this happening. Without Abraham, our D would literally become a MESS. He is the only true, proven, 'pure' pass rusher on our entire roster and if he is down, the entire D will fall apart.

yea u right..i dont read negative crap about my team.

nuccah (6/26/2008)

yea u right..i dont read negative crap about my team.

Nope you post it instead