THE BIGGEST CHANGE OF PHILOSOPHY of THE BLANK ERA

We had GREAT paper first stringers 2004 - 2006 ... never any depth.

We are now deep at ....

WR

RB

DL

OL

QB

LB

CB

S

There may not be many marquee names on our current roster ... but there weren't any on the Patriots either when they were winning Superbowls.

We are for once designed for a full season.

formul8or (6/25/2008)
We might be deep in the number of players on the o-line and d-line, but we in no way, shape, or form have quality at all of those positions.

We have two young o-linemen that should be solid, and one great guy on the d-line...

O-Line is actually going to be good.

I know it is not popular to say even on this board.

We will for once have a BIG offensive line with even McClure being over 300 pounds.

Clabo will at WORST play right guard if Forney does not return to form.

If Weiner does not come back ... look for the Dahl - Clabo experiment to begin.

This could be one of the best offensive lines in Falcon history - I truly believe that.

Defensive line ... well I tend to agree with you there. It is up to Babs ... but that kind of feeds my point ... you have a B+ and B- combo in UT with Babs and Moorehead ... both of them are better than an handicapped Coleman.

Have you ever heard the saying "if you have a lot of something on your roster, you really have nothing?" We may have DEPTH, but I don't think our starters are quality at most positions. Our best position right now is RB, without question, but even that is contingent on how Turner does in the starting role.

falconva7 (6/26/2008)
Have you ever heard the saying "if you have a lot of something on your roster, you really have nothing?" We may have DEPTH, but I don't think our starters are quality at most positions. Our best position right now is RB, without question, but even that is contingent on how Turner does in the starting role.

HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW NEW ENGLAND CAN TAKE A STARTER OUT ...... AND NEVER MISS A BEAT. THAT'S THE KIND OF DEPTH I'M LOOKING FOR. WE'LL GET THERE ..... I HOPE.

magnus23 (6/25/2008)
formul8or (6/25/2008)
We might be deep in the number of players on the o-line and d-line, but we in no way, shape, or form have quality at all of those positions.

We have two young o-linemen that should be solid, and one great guy on the d-line...

O-Line is actually going to be good.

I know it is not popular to say even on this board.

We will for once have a BIG offensive line with even McClure being over 300 pounds.

Clabo will at WORST play right guard if Forney does not return to form.

If Weiner does not come back ... look for the Dahl - Clabo experiment to begin.

This could be one of the best offensive lines in Falcon history - I truly believe that.

Defensive line ... well I tend to agree with you there. It is up to Babs ... but that kind of feeds my point ... you have a B+ and B- combo in UT with Babs and Moorehead ... both of them are better than an handicapped Coleman.[/quo

Nothing wrong with optimism, but I'd put those statements about having a good offensive and defensive line on hold until we see what we really have against true competition.

I do hope for the best.

Magnus, I have my fingers crossed and *hope* you're right about the O line, but I'm

afraid that I *think* you're wrong. ****, I'll be doing back flips (seen my pic?) if they're

even average... But:

WR Deep and pretty good hands, need to see balls thrown to 'em

RB Significantly improved and fairly deep

DL ? not sure I agree with this either, but not the worst I've seen

OL ? I respectfully disagree

QB Yep, but not much experience. Future here.

LB Improved and deep. Curious about speed of whitey though....

CB Deep, but not necessarily better...

S Improved and deep.

If our offense can control the ball and run a little clock for a change, I think the

defense will look and perform pretty well and we have a good shot at an 8-8 season,

perhaps even better that 8-8 IF (and that's a huge IF) that O line takes control.

However, if we dont (control some of the clock), we're looking at another bad

year, perhaps 4-12, or 5-11...

JMHO

When it comes to our lines, I think that we have a bunch of players who would be excellent depth on most teams, but I'm yet to be sold on them as starters. Some I think are likely to be good starters, but some are question marks.

That said, you've got to have quality depth and we at least have that. We can build up our starting rotation over the next couple of seasons. After all, we ARE still rebuilding this team; it won't happen overnight.

Direwolf

Dude I hope your right. However I would consider both our lines questionable until proven otherwise. In fact I would consider our Defense questionable as a whole. We do have a lot of young talent which I look forward to watching play this year.

Remember that getting Dimitroff doesn't make us the Patriots...getting McKay didn't turn us into the Bucs either.

However I don't see how it can hurt to try to do things the 'Patriot Way'.

Go Falcons!!

patriot way minus the spying part

SCFalcon58 (6/26/2008)
Dude I hope your right. However I would consider both our lines questionable until proven otherwise. In fact I would consider our Defense questionable as a whole. We do have a lot of young talent which I look forward to watching play this year.

Remember that getting Dimitroff doesn't make us the Patriots...getting McKay didn't turn us into the Bucs either.

However I don't see how it can hurt to try to do things the 'Patriot Way'.

Go Falcons!!

magnus23 (6/25/2008)
We had GREAT paper first stringers 2004 - 2006 ... never any depth.

We are now deep at ....

WR

RB

DL

OL

QB

LB

CB

S

There may not be many marquee names on our current roster ... but there weren't any on the Patriots either when they were winning Superbowls.

We are for once designed for a full season.

I love the optimism, and I see where you are going regarding depth, and I like it too, but I think you are overstating things. We are still very very young at a lot of these positions, and we need to see who is going to emerge-and I'm certain there will be some surprises- and we need to have a few more years of quality drafts and free agencies, so that we get quality starters in here so that the guys who are depth can play their designated roles: to be depth, and be put in positions to play to their strengths. The current make up of the OL may end up being one of the Falcons' best, but it will be that personnel with a few years of experience that becomes great- I don't think it will be this year.

Love the optimism, though. :)

direwolf (6/26/2008)
That said, you've got to have quality depth and we at least have that.

I DON'T KNOW WOLF. QUALITY DEPTH? WE MAY HAVE IT AT A FEW POSITIONS, BUT FOR THE MOST PART YOU'LL SEE A BIG DROP-OFF FROM STRARTERS TO 2nd. STRING. ON YOUR BETTER TEAMS THERES A VERY, VERY THIN LINE BETWEEN STARTERS AND 2nd. STRING, EVEN 3rd. STRING. THE STARTER CAN GO DOWN AND THE TEAM NEVER MISSES A BEAT. LIKE YOU SAID, "WE'RE REBUILDING," WE'LL GET THERE.:)

All you guys are making assumptions off name recognition and presumed abilities... None of you are coaches and have seen how these guys have performed in practice and as a unit.

And that is most important when talking about them; how they play as a unit as opposed to individually.

So how about we all just reserve judgement until we see how they perform together on the field? 

I am amazed by how many of my friends misread what I said about the D-Line.

I said it is a concern.

I said our offensive line is actually going to be good.

So feel free to disagree with that point.

We are deep in every position with quality starters at RB, FB, WR, LB and K.

And potentially quality starters at OG, OT, DE, S, CB, and QB.

DT IS AN ISSUE.

Lewis healthy is preferred ... but it ain't going to happen come opening day. Rashad Moore at 350+ pounds is not going to be a downgrade over Grady.

So the issue there becomes whether or not Babs - a second round pick in his own right - can become a legit starter. That may be a key to this season ... that and Jamaal Anderson, Brent Grimes, and Chevis Jackson.

REV.2000 (6/26/2008)
direwolf (6/26/2008)

I DON'T KNOW WOLF. QUALITY DEPTH? WE MAY HAVE IT AT A FEW POSITIONS, BUT FOR THE MOST PART YOU'LL SEE A BIG DROP-OFF FROM STRARTERS TO 2nd. STRING. ON YOUR BETTER TEAMS THERES A VERY, VERY THIN LINE BETWEEN STARTERS AND 2nd. STRING, EVEN 3rd. STRING. THE STARTER CAN GO DOWN AND THE TEAM NEVER MISSES A BEAT. LIKE YOU SAID, "WE'RE REBUILDING," WE'LL GET THERE.:)

Wow

That was the point.

We used to have HUGE drop-offs between first and second string.

On this team ... our starters are not as good ... but our second string ... and our third string are better.

**** - we don't even know who will be best at S, CB, OT, OG, RDE ... all up for grabs.

magnus23 (6/26/2008)
REV.2000 (6/26/2008)
direwolf (6/26/2008)

Wow

That was the point.

We used to have HUGE drop-offs between first and second string.

On this team ... our starters are not as good ... but our second string ... and our third string are better.

**** - we don't even know who will be best at S, CB, OT, OG, RDE ... all up for grabs.

Oh - and ESPECIALLY DT.