I am anxious to see what Brent Grimes can do out there along with Chevis Jackson.  I think that both can be solid corners and both have been getting great reviews from the coaching staff.

The coaches have said that Brent Grimes may be the best athlete on the team which surprises me greatly but it makes me want to see what the team can do.

Not a big believer in Chris Houston but Von Hutchins should be servicable.

A big name may seem like a big deal. How many big names did the Giants Secondary has this past season? You also don't have to run a 4.3 40 to be a good cover corner. I am happy that we are now mare than just a fast team. A smart secondary will be much better. Keep this in mind. Deion Sanders was one of the fastest corners, but if his knowledge wasn't there, he would have just been nothing.

EDdontellGregknapstinks (6/25/2008)
I Wouldn't sleep on Chevis Jackson I think he could be a sleeper in the draft.

There you go ED. Somebody with an eye for talent. I don't know if he'll start or not, but he's definitely a potential stud in the future. We have real coaches from top to bottom this year. I think we'll be ok. Heck, we might even get some pressure and take the load off those guys back there a little bit.

GEORGIAfan (6/25/2008)
we run a cover 2 like UGA, WHO SHUT DOWN THE GREAT CALVIN JOHNSON!! the safety position covers on top of the wide, and the CBs got the under part.

remember we can run the cover 2 man on man variation. Houston and Jackson are gonna be our Paul Olivers.:cool:

Nice job DAWG! I almost forgot that we'd see an actual cover 2 this year.

In the cover 2 scheme the corners have a huge weight taken off of them. Safeties are the most influential DBs on the field, and with the combination of Milloy, DeCoud, Coleman, and even Cooper and Stone, safety play should not be a huge problem this season. Chris Houston should be ready to take the reigns as the team's #1 CB, and guys like Brent Grimes and Chevis Jackson will do well enough in the #2 role. Von Hutchins is a versitile enough of a DB to play NB and even occasionally safety, and although his play isn't flashy, it's solid.

Regardless of these DBs, the important play will come from our pass rush. Abraham will always do what he does, and Jamaal Anderson is being played to his strengths instead of being forced to play like a 3rd DT lining up in front of the OT instead of to the outside, where his pass rushing skills are best exploited. Not to mention the package where Anderson moves to the inside while Biermann or Davis plays in his place opposite of Abraham. Add Babineaux and Kindal Moorehead into the mix at UT, and we have ourselves a pass rush that can overcompensate for the lack of superstars at CB.

Don't count out the CBs though. They are inexperienced, but that just increases the chances that one of them is a diamond in the rough. Take for instance guys like Courtland Finnegan in Tennessee, drafted in the 7th round out of D-III Samford University. Starts for the Titans and has definately become a solid starter. That's just one example. If they can get used to the pro game faster than the average rookie, then they should be just fine.

wahumphrey (6/25/2008)
Cuz It seems like we might be burned all year... Chris Houston and who are going to start? and please don't say Von Hutchins... 6 passes defensed in 15 starts...

little help somebody.

It is on paper going to be Grimes.

Chevis will be groomed to be the next Asante.

... we will keep a bull pen of cross-trained DBs that will rotate based on match ups and situations.

It may not be sexy but it is the Patriot approach.

I like our corner situation, but safety is what im worried about. Milloy is a great tackler but he isnt exactly the ball hawk I want back there. Free Safety is also a concern, glad to see Jimmy Williams go but I would like some kind of big plays on that side. Hope Coleman is the man for the job, or maybe a rookie can step up... But it was said earlier, its all about that pass rush

Free Safety is also a concern, glad to see Jimmy Williams go but I would like some kind of big plays on that side. Hope Coleman is the man for the job, or maybe a rookie can step up... But it was said earlier, its all about that pass rush
Coleman IS a cover two FS. He has good balls skills and has good range. He is a tackling machine that was a gem for the Jets(5th round pick) when he was great in his first three seasons. He thrived under the cover two system in NY when they ran it when Herm Edwards was coaching. Mangini screwed him up. He should be good again under this C2.
brvslugger10 (6/26/2008)
Free Safety is also a concern, glad to see Jimmy Williams go but I would like some kind of big plays on that side. Hope Coleman is the man for the job, or maybe a rookie can step up... But it was said earlier, its all about that pass rush
Coleman IS a cover two FS. He has good balls skills and has good range. He is a tackling machine that was a gem for the Jets(5th round pick)when he was great in his first three seasons. He thrived under the cover two system in NY when they ran it when Herm Edwards was coaching. Mangini screwed him up. He should be good again under this C2.

I AGREE. I THINK WE ARE SET AT FS WITH COLEMAN BACK THERE.

brvslugger10 (6/26/2008)
Coleman IS a cover two FS. He has good balls skills and has good range. He is a tackling machine that was a gem for the Jets(5th round pick)when he was great in his first three seasons. He thrived under the cover two system in NY when they ran it when Herm Edwards was coaching. Mangini screwed him up. He should be good again under this C2.

eric mandoofus ruined a lot in that team.