LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT

smittty

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question?  Would we have made it to the Super Bowl in 98 if Vick had been our QB? No Way!  The key is " Balance " and we had none with him here. If the opposing team could stop the run then we were had every time , and that is exactly what they did most of the time.

Both Trenches , plus our DBs and WRs were  very weak , if not for that we would have won the Thing!

I dunno, guys. That was a superior post. Well thought out, articulate, on point, AND IN ALL CAPS!!

In fact, I believe that after reading this post:

- The Federal prosecutor will rescind MV's conviction and release him immediately

- Poindexter will drop all charges and actually make MV honorary governor of VA.

- Roger Goodell will impose no sanctions whatsoever and return him to playing status

- Mr. Blank will re negotiate his contract so as to pay him even more money

- Matt Ryan will be traded for a 6th round pick

- Other NFL teams will refuse to play the Falcons because they will fear being beaten so badly

All because of this most excellent post.

Did I just say all that out loud?? :crazy:

Vick is the greatest singular talent to ever play in the National Football League.  He's one in a billion and light years ahead of his time.  I've thought this for a while.....the game was simply too slow for him, no one knew what to do with him, he's a freak.  Watch him play, watch the defensive coordinators adjust for him, listen to what opposing head coaches had to say about him before you listen to what the media does.

The (largely) white media was scared of Vick.  They didn't know how to talk about him.  He intimadated the old timers.  Just look at him and VY.  The comparison is ridiculous....like comparing Young to Jake Delhomme in terms of mobility and the way he affects a game. 

Again, waaaaay ahead of his time.  He's the most polarizing on the field athlete we'll see in a loooooong time

bozoatl (6/24/2008)
I dunno, guys. That was a superior post. Well thought out, articulate, on point, AND IN ALL CAPS!!

- The Federal prosecutor will rescind MV's conviction and release him immediately

- Poindexter will drop all charges and actually make MV honorary governor of VA.

- Roger Goodell will impose no sanctions whatsoever and return him to playing status

- Other NFL teams will refuse to play the Falcons because they will fear being beaten so badly

LET'S GET ONE THING STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW

MATTY ICE IS WORTH A LATE 5TH

David Ethan (6/24/2008)
Same Ol Falcons (6/24/2008)
David Ethan (6/24/2008)
Vick is the greatest singular talent to ever play in the National Football League.

Barry Sanders and Jim Brown say hello

not even close

Your right Vick will never be close to these hall of fame superstars that dominated their game

bozoatl (6/24/2008)

You forgot that the NFL will build a temple in the end zone of the Georgia Dome where all persons will be required to go and bow down before He Who Is Like A God and those who refuse will be burned at the stake during half time.

Vick's last season was hard to watch from the stands.  The guy really did carry the entire team and he put in an effort that I didn't think he had in him.  It is hard to believe but I really felt he was willing the team to victory and it seemed to work on a limited basis.  The players around him seemed to do nothing to help.  On the field he was the most impressive football player I have ever seen.  But it is all done and we all have to move on.  He doesn't play anymore!!!

David Ethan (6/24/2008)
Same Ol Falcons (6/24/2008)
David Ethan (6/24/2008)
Vick is the greatest singular talent to ever play in the National Football League.

Barry Sanders and Jim Brown say hello

not even close

Maybe the dumbest singular post I've seen on these boards if you are insinuating that Vick was better than these two.

Sounds like someone is upset that they can't be in Vick's cell bent over holding their ankles.

But anyway, Vick wasn't a good QB. He was a very exciting player, with amazing arm strength, and a threat with the ball in his hand, but that's where it ended. He didn't throw catchable balls. He couldn't throw to WR's that were not open by fewer than 2 steps. He led something like 3 (might have been 4, don't remember), 4th quarter come from behind wins while he was here. He couldn't manage a game.

We are better off with Vick gone in the long run. Yes it might have cost us a few wins last year, but given the way we were headed anyway with Vick at QB, we most likely wouldn't have won any more games last year than we did anyway. Do you think Vick wouldn't have clashed with Petrino the way DHall did? If we'd had Vick, I might have actually been shocked to win 4 last year. No we have the opportunity to build a real team & not just a collection of personalities that put people in seats because they can reel off 2 or 3 amazing plays per game in losing efforts. Remember, when Vick was new in the league, he did have a higher winning percentage, but after defenses figured out all they had to do was play the pass and keep pass rushers in their lanes for outside contain, Vick's starting record his last 2 years was 15-16.

In one sentence you say:

THEY STARTED SINGLE COVERING THE WRS ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY, ALLOWING THE SAFETIES TO HELP AGAINST THE RUN, AND TO SPY ON VICK,

then you say...

AND THE WRS STILL COULDN'T GET OPEN, WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

and finally...

DO YOU REALIZE THAT IN THE NFL, IF A WR IS SINGLE COVERED, THE QB IS TOLD TO THROW HIM THE BALL, HE'S CONSIDERED OPEN, AND SHOULD TOAST THE GUY ON HIM.

So if the WR's didn't get open, but they were single covered meaning that in the NFL the B is told to throw him the ball, why didn't Vick take advantage of this?  I mean, you are going to tell me Roddy White stinks?  Some contradictions in your statement there...

That said, Vick was fun to watch - but he never really got better though.  You could argue his best year was in 2002.  He pretty much stopped progressing because he didn't put the necessary work in.  He squandered his talent and his fortune.  He had the talent and the skillset to make everyone around him better, but he never got that part of the game.  He never figured out not only how his talents could make his teammates better outside of the obvious (DE's have to watch out for the QB bootleg), but that it was his responsibility.

It's a shame...but he was fun to watch.

atljbo (6/23/2008)
i agree.... dude put the falcons on the map and was the most popular player in the nfl........ vick made blank so much money its crazy

after sayin that.... on the football side of it..... the falcons would have never won a championship because vick never wanted to put in the work that it takes to be great...... Vick just leaned on his talent, vick never had the head part of the game

This post sums it up pretty well.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, been one of the all time NFL greats but now we know the rest of the story. Just another in a long line of athletes with incredible potential wasted away. Sad, but it's time to move on.

smittty (6/23/2008)
VICK WAS BY FAR AND AWAY THE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER YOU WILL EVER SEE ON A FOOTBALL FIELD.

UM.....NOT TRUE....NOT EVEN CLOSE

The fact is Con-Vick is a legend in your mind only. Believe in fairy tales if you want to.

bart (6/24/2008)
atljbo (6/23/2008)
i agree.... dude put the falcons on the map and was the most popular player in the nfl........ vick made blank so much money its crazy

after sayin that.... on the football side of it..... the falcons would have never won a championship because vick never wanted to put in the work that it takes to be great...... Vick just leaned on his talent, vick never had the head part of the game

This post sums it up pretty well.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, been one of the all time NFL greats but now we know the rest of the story. Just another in a long line of athletes with incredible potential wasted away. Sad, but it's time to move on.

Consider the money blank is paying mike while not playing.Also the damage he did to the team.The split of the fan base and tell me how much money mike has made blank.Blank is in the hole big time on the vick fiasco.

they tell you to throw the ball to single covered guys and what good did it do?

DROPS!!! plenty of then, drops by the pound. 

He didn't throw a catchable ball???

are you serious?  with the speed of DBs you can't throw soft unless guys are open and that is what we didn't have is open guys.  I saw vick in 2006 throw thread the needle typeof passes to crump and lelie and jenkins for TDs and they caught them.  at the same time I saw jenkins and white drop floaters that could have been game changers. 

lets face it folks.  If you want to blm vick for the pethetic play of others you very well can.  just remember that you have to do that agian for the next 4 years or so as well.

you hve to blame matt ryan if roddy white doesn't have a bigger year than he did with harrington, redmon and leftwich.  You have to blame ryan if we don't go to the superbowl.

remember vick took usto the playoffs in his first year starting and won a game that had never been won before.  and the next year took us to the NFC championship game.

Now if we don't hold matt ryan on those standards, with a better team around him than vick had, we are not being fair at all.  the Oline and Wrs and defensive depth as a whole is better than what vick EVER played with.  we all have to agree with that.  lets just keep it very even.

but I know that we will forget about that when we don't make the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years!!! The same people who call vick a sandlot QB or a RB will not hold a pocket passer who is sqeaky clean even to Vicks standard.

trubirdfan4life (6/24/2008)

are you serious? with the speed of DBs you can't throw soft unless guys are open and that is what we didn't have is open guys. I saw vick in 2006 throw thread the needle typeof passes to crump and lelie and jenkins for TDs and they caught them. at the same time I saw jenkinsand white drop floaters that could have been game changers.

lets face it folks. If you want to blm vick for the pethetic play of others you very well can. just remember that you have to do that agian for the next 4 years or so as well.

you hve to blame matt ryan if roddy white doesn't have a bigger year than he did with harrington, redmon and leftwich. You have to blame ryan if we don't go to the superbowl.

remember vick took usto the playoffs in his first year starting and won a game that had never been won before. and the next year took us to the NFC championship game.

Now if we don'thold matt ryan on those standards, with a better team around him than vick had, we are not being fair at all. the Oline and Wrs and defensive depth as a whole is better than what vick EVER played with. we all have to agree with that. lets just keep it very even.

but I know that we will forget about that when we don't make the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years!!! The same people who call vick a sandlot QB ora RB will not hold a pocket passer who is sqeaky clean even to Vicks standard.

catchable balls are not soft throws. They are throws LEADING receivers, or throws TO THE CORRECT SHOULDER of the receiver. They are balls that allow the receiver a better play on the ball than the defender. When the ball was there, even on a rope, threading the needle, as you said, the receivers did catch it. It's all the balls that were on the back shoulder where the receiver had to slow or stop forward progress to attempt a catch, or on the defenders side of the receiver, or way high that we had problems, and unfortunately, those were a majority of the passes. Yes the receivers did need to catch a lot of those, but the consistent inconsistency of the QB made it much more difficult for the receivers than it should have been.

Now when talking softer throws, the lasers that Vick threw into the flat for backs did need to be softer, but I'm not talking about those type throws.

trubirdfan4life (6/24/2008)

are you serious?  with the speed of DBs you can't throw soft unless guys are open and that is what we didn't have is open guys.  I saw vick in 2006 throw thread the needle typeof passes to crump and lelie and jenkins for TDs and they caught them.  at the same time I saw jenkins and white drop floaters that could have been game changers. 

lets face it folks.  If you want to blm vick for the pethetic play of others you very well can.  just remember that you have to do that agian for the next 4 years or so as well.

you hve to blame matt ryan if roddy white doesn't have a bigger year than he did with harrington, redmon and leftwich.  You have to blame ryan if we don't go to the superbowl.

remember vick took usto the playoffs in his first year starting and won a game that had never been won before.  and the next year took us to the NFC championship game.

Now if we don't hold matt ryan on those standards, with a better team around him than vick had, we are not being fair at all.  the Oline and Wrs and defensive depth as a whole is better than what vick EVER played with.  we all have to agree with that.  lets just keep it very even.

but I know that we will forget about that when we don't make the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years!!! The same people who call vick a sandlot QB or a RB will not hold a pocket passer who is sqeaky clean even to Vicks standard.

How long are people going to defend Vick's lackluster development and work ethic?

Sure he gets props for bringing recognition to our franchise and yes, he was a spectacular player and, yes, he had a cannon for an arm...but what good is a cannon when the sights are off? I used to defend Vick with a passion, thinking of all kinds of excuses for his mediocre play.

I used to think that all he needed was to find to find an offense that was suited to his play. Then it was he needed better coaching. Then I thought it was the WRs fault. Then it was he needed a better o-line with time to throw. I never thought the problem was his lack of game preparations and narcisstic apathy. It hit me like a ton of bricks the day I realized that Vick couldn't read defenses and relied on his speed to get by. 

When defenses finally figured out how to defend him and his running, it was over and it showed. All the defenses had to do was to stay home and not overpursue and make him actually have to pass the ball.