Jenkins Must Produce

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...arly/index.html

Excerpt from The hot seat: Thirty-two players who must produce early in 2008

NFC SOUTH

1. Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Carolina Panthers: Jarrett was a huge disappointment in year one and has drawn the ire of Panthers star Steve Smith. With the additions of Muhsin Muhammad and D.J. Hackett, Jarrett risks fading into oblivion.

2. Reggie Bush, RB, New Orleans Saints: Though Bush is not in jeopardy of losing his job or his role as 3rd down back for the Saints, he is getting closer to being considered a disappointment at best and a bust at worst. Bush needs to ignite the Saints offense with some big plays early in 2008 to renew confidence in play-caller Sean Payton.

3. Michael Clayton, WR, Tampa Bay Bucs: Clayton has been plagued by a myriad of injuries after a fantastic rookie season. Gruden's patience is wearing thin with Clayton and his roster spot might even be in danger with the addition of second-round pick Dexter Jackson.

4. Michael Jenkins, WR, Atlanta Falcons: Another first-round pick at wide receiver that has not developed as hoped, Jenkins is quickly becoming expendable behind Roddy White, Laurent Robinson and Joe Horn. A new coaching staff gives Jenkins one more chance to make a positive first impression.

formul8or (6/23/2008)
I'll take Jenkins over Horne any day of the week.

I really wouldn't mind re-signing him as the 3rd or 4th WR. He had some unlucky plays last year I think people forget some of his outstanding redzone plays he can make.

I wouldn't, you may not see Horn on the field much, but his leadership and mentoring are paying off i bet you. Look at Roddy's performance last season, not saying its the sole reason but it was definitely a factor.

Besides, Jenkins is bad luck, balls just bounce right off his hands into defenders.

We could have Dwayne Jarret. I am glad we have Jenkins. Jarret doesn't even know the plays and he's a drunk.

The DWI arrest capped a tumultuous rookie season for Jarrett.

Expected to become a starter after he was selected in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Southern California, Jarrett struggled to crack the lineup and was on the inactive list for much of the season. He was held six catches for 73 yards and no touchdowns and was criticized for not learning the playbook.

Jarrett also had a well-documented run-in with the team's star receiver, Steve Smith. While conducting an interview at his locker with reporters, Smith interrupted and told Jarrett he should spend more time in the film room instead of talking to reporters.

"He's definitely one of the most explosive players in the NFL and he's someone you take heed to," Jarrett said. "We collided heads at times, but he wanted the best for me. We just had that miscommunication between us and we worked things out. There's no bad blood between us. I'm here every day working hard just like he is and I'm just trying to learn from him."

Jarrett said he and Smith, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, have since patched up their differences.

It was said last year by Vic Carrucci(spelling?) that Jenkins and Roddy HAD to step up this year. It seems Roddy figured things out, Jenkins is a bust. Until I see an increase in his performance, and it remains consistantly at that level I will refuse to think otherwise.

LADBABY (6/23/2008)
Use him like a tall man instead of a short one and he will

produce and be well worth re-signing. He is tall and fast.

Why is he running buttonhooks? Throw it to him on the move

and let him use is length to go up and get it.

because that's the easier way to body catch.When Jenkins runs fly routes and gets open the ball will go right through his fingers every time.Jenkins is a body catcher that can't move and doesn't know how to use his size to his advantage.He plays like a short guy himself.That has nothing to do with coaches.He may leap for one every once and a while but if it's a jump ball battle he fails miserably everytime.

It's past time for Jenkins to produce, he's been in this league going on 5 yrs now. He's slid by long enough and it's time the FO puts him on notice. He's a big WR but he doesnt play big, you'd think with his size advantage that he'd be abusing cb's... But he doesnt..

2 years ago I thought Jenkins was playing pretty well and White shouldn't play in the NFL. I was wrong (according to last year), but Jenkins does have his last year to produce here. If under the new OC he plays like he did last year, it is over. If he can catch the ball this year, lets keep him. He is fast and tall. But he has had ball control problems for years. Considering the slot receivers we have now, with Robinson and Douglas, there is little need for an under performing first rounder.

The Falcon Ace (6/23/2008)
It was said last year by Vic Carrucci(spelling?) that Jenkins and Roddy HAD to step up this year. It seems Roddy figured things out, Jenkins is a bust. Until I see an increase in his performance, and it remains consistantly at that level I will refuse to think otherwise.

While I dont think he is a bust, he does have to improve. He needs to be able to get seperation as well as catch balls when he is covered AND especially when he is open.

I think R. White will have a solid year but I believe it will be Robinson stepping it up and J. Horn becoming more involved with the offense. M. Ryan might find security in getting the ball to J. Horn because he can make all the grabs and is a crafty veteran. Jenkins as a red-zone threat and 4th WR will be good but I just dont think he will outplay White,Robinson or Horn in camp or pre-season.

cwell1 (6/23/2008)
LADBABY (6/23/2008)
Use him like a tall man instead of a short one and he will

produce and be well worth re-signing. He is tall and fast.

Why is he running buttonhooks? Throw it to him on the move

and let him use is length to go up and get it.

because that's the easier way to body catch.When Jenkins runs fly routes and gets open the ball will go right through his fingers every time.Jenkins is a body catcher that can't move and doesn't know how to use his size to his advantage.He plays like a short guy himself.That has nothing to do with coaches.He may leap for one every once and a while but if it's a jump ball battle he fails miserablyeverytime.

Good Point. With his size he should be able to go get the ball at its highest point but he doesnt have strong hands for a big guy and when he tries to jump he still tries to trap the ball against his body. He can catch balls but he doesnt make a clean catch so balls get intercepted and knocked out of his hands.

Watching him play it just doesnt seem like he is a 6'4'' 225lbs WR with good speed and great jumping ability. I just dont see it. He had a very solid year in 06' but 07' was much like his first 2 years.