Rebuilding the Falcons

ATL Doc

Do you think our defense is better or worse with the changes made so far?

Am I the only one that thinks Vick is still our best shot at creating a winning team? I agree he will be cut but will our team be better or worse?

I would have kept DeAngelo, Jimmy and Alge. Have we made things better or worse?

I think the defense has gotten better as a whole, because we've made every position a lot deeper by going out and signing solid players and drafting solid players that will fit our scheme. Instead of the secondary being DeAngelo Hall and a few guys that can't cover, we have a handful of decent players at every position.

Let it go man! Really. Vick is gone and is not coming back... people need to just get over it. The franchise has moved on and so should we. He's in jail, so no matter what you think he is NO ONES best chance of creating a winning team.

As for Jimmy, what makes you think we would be better off with him? He was given every chance under the sun to unseat Chris Crocker (a below average safety) and he couldn't do it. With a fresh start and a chance for a good impression with a new staff he showed up over weight AND skipped out of a bunch of practices (yeah, I know they were voluntary, but when you're trying to win starting job you show up and give it your all).

Crump, I dunno. He's been our best pass catcher for a long while but he's getting up there in NFL age and he continues to have knee issues. Crump is a great guy but I just don't know that he really can be what we would have wanted him to be anymore.

D-Hall... I have mixed feelings on. Yeah, his attitude and immaturity are disruptive, but you are hard pressed to find a more gifted CB in the NFL. If Hall could grow up, get over himself and be a team player he could be one of the best in the NFL. Unfortunately I see no signs of that happening. It's a shame because he certainly would have made our secondary better.

Do I think we're better in the short term, no. But I think in the long term we will be in much better shape with all the young talent we have.

Am I the only one that thinks Vick is still our best shot at creating a winning team? I agree he will be cut but will our team be better or worse?

I would have kept DeAngelo, Jimmy and Alge. Have we made things better or worse?

i think the safeties might be better with the additions of coleman and decoud. the linebackers are probably better since we brought in lofton in the middle who will probably split time with taylor and it helps to move brooking back to weakside. nothing really changed signifigantly with the DEs and everything else on defense i dont know. hopefully everything works out great in smith and van gorders d scheme but we have to wait and see.

Whether Vick is gone or not was not the issue. I am curious are we helpig or hurting our team with the moves being made. Surely you can answer the question without stating the obvious. I know as well as most people that own television sets that Vick is in jail but have we upgraded or down graded our team? Do we have someone better for us and more able to win with the Falcons? Will we be able to apply pressure on the opposing QB when Abraham is out of the game? Will teams be able to run up the score an hod us scoreless?

doc17mo (6/21/2008)
Whether Vick is gone or not was not the issue. I am curious are we helpig or hurting our team with the moves being made. Surely you can answer the question without stating the obvious. I know as well as most people that own television sets that Vick is in jail but have we upgraded or down graded our team? Do we have someone better for us and more able to win with the Falcons? Will we be able to apply pressure on the opposing QB when Abraham is out of the game? Will teams be able to run up the score an hod us scoreless?

In answer to the topic question - No.  But they could over-achieve.  Also, if Ookie isn't an issue, then why the "still" keep mentioning him?

No offense, but you loose credability with having MeAngelo and Jimmy the bust on your list.

doc17mo (6/21/2008)

I would have kept DeAngelo, Jimmyand Alge. Have we made things better or worse?

I think we'll be better. A change in leadership was necessary, not just the FO & coaching staff but especially the players. The quickest way to change the attitude of a team with a new staff is to remove the influential leaders from the previous team and let new leaders step up. That's all we've done. There were some talented players released/traded/jailed (sorry not JW), which was necessary to change the direction of the team. Now we can all speculate on whether the changes will bring a winning record or not. I think it will.

doc17mo (6/21/2008)

If Vick is gone and not an issue, then why even bring him up? He isn't an option whether you think he gives us the best chance to create a winning team or not. I'm just tired of hearing about him. He isn't part of the team (even though we still hold his rights), time to move on.

As for us helping or hurting the team, I think that on paper we hurt ourselves in the short term by letting go a lot of veteran talent (Crump, Hall, Coleman). We're going to be relying on a lot of very young players to replace guys who were proven.

As for reality, I think it's possible with much better coaching and team unity that we could break even on the season. It's going to be difficult and will depend on the young guys putting it together quickly, but I think it's possible.

In the long term though, I think we are FAR better off. We reloaded at LB and have the best depth of talent there than we've had in a long time. We have a solid young core on offense (Ryan, Roddy, Robinson, Turner/Norwood, MugHelli, Baker, Blalock) to build around. Same with the secondary (Houston, Grimes, Irons, Jackson, DeCoud and even Coleman). Even the weakest spots (O-line and DT) we have enough solid depth that I think we'll be ok till we find long term replacements.

The other big plus for the long term is getting rid of all the me first players. Look at the most consistent teams out there... Pats, Colts, Eagles... they don't tolerate that crap. The players that whine and complain don't last long no matter how talented they are.

You win in the NFL by playing as a team, not a bunch of individuals.

pa_falcon_fan (6/21/2008)
doc17mo (6/21/2008)

If Vick is gone and not an issue, then why even bring him up? He isn't an option whether you think he gives us the best chance to create a winning team or not. I'm just tired of hearing about him. He isn't part of the team (even though we still hold his rights), time to move on.

As for us helping or hurting the team, I think that on paper we hurt ourselves in the short term by letting go a lot of veteran talent (Crump, Hall, Coleman). We're going to be relying on a lot of very young players to replace guys who were proven.

As for reality, I think it's possible with much better coaching and team unity that we could break even on the season. It's going to be difficult and will depend on the young guys putting it together quickly, but I think it's possible.

In the long term though, I think we are FAR better off. We reloaded at LB and have the best depth of talent there than we've had in a long time. We have a solid young core on offense (Ryan, Roddy, Robinson, Turner/Norwood, MugHelli, Baker, Blalock) to build around. Same with the secondary (Houston, Grimes, Irons, Jackson, DeCoud and even Coleman). Even the weakest spots (O-line and DT) we have enough solid depth that I think we'll be ok till we find long term replacements.

The other big plus for the long term is getting rid of all the me first players. Look at the most consistent teams out there... Pats, Colts, Eagles... they don't tolerate that crap. The players that whine and complain don't last long no matter how talented they are.

You win in the NFL by playing as a team, not a bunch of individuals.

I can agree with this statement 100%

I think we have made our team better by giving it direction. Rebuilding efforts take time but contrary to what ESPN or other major news outlets say we actually have great players at a few positions...that gives us a head start. How many great players do Miami and the Chiefs have? 2? An old Jason Taylor who has one year left in the tank and a Larry Johnson that might not ever be the same back he was two years ago?

We've got a good young core. Obviously we have problems but no one said this was an overnight thing....we'll keep adding pieces but manipulating the draft and eventually it will work out.

As for keeping Jimmy, Crump and DHall....I have three things. One Jimmy didnt have dedication....as a result I dont want him on the team. I dont care if youre not the greatest player in the world but the effort should be there...its double insulting when a player with the physical tools to make a difference decides to Cadillac it....Crump deserved to go somewhere to try to win...hes getting up there in age and mileage on the body and its not fair to him to lock him in to a rebuilding effort when he can be competing elsewhere. D Hall is another issue all together. I was on the majority of his career up until this off season. I forgave him for Carolina...I forgave him for vocally announcing his displeasure. However when he took it the next step I was ready for him to be done. From a football standpoint with our switch to a Cover 2 heavy scheme he just isnt a system fit. D Hall is much better in man coverage than he is working a zone....his undisciplined play might make for great high lights 4 weeks of the year but as a rule it does not fit into the Cover 2 which stresses discipline and fundamentals. I just dont think he was a system fit at all.

The Colts have been able to build one of the most consistent franchises in league history based on their committment to a system and getting players that fit in their mold. Guys like Antoine Bethea, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney all were unknown or had question marks earlier in their career yet the system has made them some of the best in the league at their positions....that is the power of playing not as 11 individuals but as The Atlanta Falcons. I hope we can do the same thing....

vicktimized~2136 (6/21/2008)
I think the defense has gotten better as a whole, because we've made every position a lot deeper by going out and signing solid players and drafting solid players that will fit our scheme. Instead of the secondary being DeAngelo Hall and a few guys that can't cover, we have a handful of decent players at every position.

We also now have people that aren't "ME, me" players but, real "team players" and ones that are positive toward the one unified goal of "a team that plays and wins like a real professional NFL team, not some "wanna-be league"!! ;)

dchi194 (6/21/2008)
I think we have made our team better by giving it direction. Rebuilding efforts take time but contrary to what ESPN or other major news outlets say we actually have great players at a few positions...that gives us a head start. How many great players do Miami and the Chiefs have? 2? An old Jason Taylor who has one year left in the tank and a Larry Johnson that might not ever be the same back he was two years ago?

We've got a good young core. Obviously we have problems but no one said this was an overnight thing....we'll keep adding pieces but manipulating the draft and eventually it will work out.

As for keeping Jimmy, Crump and DHall....I have three things. One Jimmy didnt have dedication....as a result I dont want him on the team. I dont care if youre not the greatest player in the world but the effort should be there...its double insulting when a player with the physical tools to make a difference decides to Cadillac it....Crump deserved to go somewhere to try to win...hes getting up there in age and mileage on the body and its not fair to him to lock him in to a rebuilding effort when he can be competing elsewhere. D Hall is another issue all together. I was on the majority of his career up until this off season. I forgave him for Carolina...I forgave him for vocally announcing his displeasure. However when he took it the next step I was ready for him to be done. From a football standpoint with our switch to a Cover 2 heavy scheme he just isnt a system fit. D Hall is much better in man coverage than he is working a zone....his undisciplined play might make for great high lights 4 weeks of the year but as a rule it does not fit into the Cover 2 which stresses discipline and fundamentals. I just dont think he was a system fit at all.

The Colts have been able to build one of the most consistent franchises in league history based on their committment to a system and getting players that fit in their mold. Guys like Antoine Bethea, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney all were unknown or had question marks earlier in their career yet the system has made them some of the best in the league at their positions....that is the power of playing not as 11 individuals but as The Atlanta Falcons. I hope we can do the same thing....

I agree with you a lot, good post. As far as the colts there corners and line backers are not big names either and they play well in the system. I know there d-line gets pressure on the QB, but maybe we can to.

xSICKxWITHxITx (6/21/2008)
consistentfalcon (6/21/2008)
i think that if they gave awards for the # of times a franchise rebuilds a team the foulcons would be champs

I think if they gave awards for the # of negative comments you make, you would win.

i would owe all my gratitude  on that to the foulcons, without this team playing like they have over the last 41 years my post wouldnt be accurate. the foulcons have made me the fan i am today with there consistency

i approve this message

i think that if they gave awards for the # of times a franchise rebuilds a team the foulcons would be champs

I think if they gave awards for the # of negative comments you make, you would win.

i would owe all my gratitude  on that to the foulcons, without this team playing like they have over the last 41 years my post wouldnt be accurate. the foulcons have made me the fan i am today with there consistency

i approve this message

If you are so unhappy with there performace over the last 41 yrs then why are you still a so called fan.

i approve this message

If you are so unhappy with there performace over the last 41 yrs then why are you still a so called fan.

ive accepted these performances about 6 years ago. as they say if you cant beat them join them or when in rome do as the romans. just because the foulcons are losers dont mean im gonna pack up and move out of the  state of ga. after living here for 48 + years although it wouldnt hurt my feeling if the foulcons packed up and left:w00t::w00t::w00t:

ive come to realize that fans like yourself dont mind that the teams a loser you just hate hearing that they are losers. how ironic 

i approve this message

ive accepted these performances about 6 years ago. as they say if you cant beat them join them or when in rome do as the romans. just because the foulcons are losers dont mean im gonna pack up and move out of the  state of ga. after living here for 48 + years although it wouldnt hurt my feeling if the foulcons packed up and left:w00t::w00t::w00t:

ive come to realize that fans like yourself dont mind that the teams a loser you just hate hearing that they are losers. how ironic 

No I hate loosing and I want nothing but the best for the falcons. I know how they have been disappointing for a number of years, but I still hope for improvement and the best for my team. Just because they haven't been the best I don't go team hopping either. As for you I'm sure they have let you down a lot ,but you still should hope for the to always be better the next year. If not then why choose to root for a team when you have no hope for improvement, what fun is in that. Plus you might just become a negative person all the time if you are always so down and negative about you team.

We're going to have a lot of young guys in this defense.

Honestly,  on paper I would be happy if we were an average defense but I don't see that.

We have too many questions on defense.  All we know is we have ONE guy that can rush the passer.  That's pretty much it. 

When you combine first time GM, first time HC, first time DC, and a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players there are going to be growing pains... MAJOR ones.

Will we be better off in the long run? Most likely but it will take time.

On paper the team looks worse than before. But as far as team chemistry goes, it is not even comparable. And, if you look at all of the superbowl winning teams since the NFL was established, all of them cite team chemistry as being important to their success. So, the team is better for sure.