Grimes getting noticed more and more..

Posted by: J. Michael Moore at 2:15PM EST on June 18, 2008
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = RDF />
One of the most impressive players in organized team activities has been cornerback Brent Grimes.

The name should sound familiar to Falcons fans, as Grimes emerged as a starter toward the end of last season. In the process, the Shippensburg product became one of the feel good stories of the year.

He's still getting his name in the paper, making athletic plays around the field and working out with the first-team defense through the offseason.

He started Week 16 at Arizona last season, notching a team-high 11 tackles against Pro Bowl wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald.

It's one of the high points of a career that has had it's ups and downs since Grimes joined the team for the first time in May 2006.

"The scouts brought him in and we were a little (unsure)," assistant head coach/secondary Emmitt Thomas said. "As soon as he came into camp we saw he had good ball skills and quickness."

Thomas knows what's he's looking for. He'll be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame later this summer and learned coaching after a stellar NFL career. As interim head coach, he also made the final decision to give Grimes a chance last December.

"Ever since he's been here he's always made plays," the coach said this week. "I was impressed when we went out to Arizona and I watched him compete against two of the better players in the NFL.

"He's competing out there (now). I think he's going to be a pleasant surprise to the Falcons organization. I think he's going to be a fine corner."

j mike's vid interview with grimes in the link -  http://life.atlantafalcons.com/jmike811/blog