When Keith Brooking proves me wrong

I have always been a Brooking fan until these past few years where I've noticed he has a lost a step or two and questioned whether moving him back to WLB is the best thing for Atlanta, but I do believe he will prove me wrong. It's no longer an "if" he does well but "when" he does well. I am hoping that the year we had Hartwell and Brooking was at WLB after coming off an season where he was playing injured was just that a season, because he did struggle with backs out of the backfield but I believe that he's 100% and I'm looking forward to seeing the Brooking of old do what he does best play the LB position fast.

Play Maka Baka (6/20/2008)
I have always been a Brooking fan until these past few years where I've noticed he has a lost a step or two and questioned whether moving him back to WLB is the best thing for Atlanta, but I do believe he will prove me wrong. It's no longer an "if" he does well but "when" he does well. I am hoping that the year we had Hartwell and Brooking was at WLB after coming off an season where he was playing injured was just that a season, because he did struggle with backs out of the backfield but I believe that he's 100% and I'm looking forward to seeing the Brooking of old do what he does best play the LB position fast.

Linebackers don't get faster as they get older. Maybe smarter, but not faster.  This is what many fail to see.  You have three studs (Lofton, Nicholas, and Taylor) waiting in the wings at MLB and WLB. Just like Dunn was shipped out, maybe its time for Brooking to go. If you are going to truly "clean house", clean house. Being a fan favorite didn't help Crumpler, why should it be Brooking's saving grace.  

rollow lawson (6/20/2008)

Linebackers don't get faster as they get older. Maybe smarter, but not faster.  This is what many fail to see.  You have three studs (Lofton, Nicholas, and Taylor) waiting in the wings at MLB and WLB. Just like Dunn was shipped out, maybe its time for Brooking to go. If you are going to truly "clean house", clean house. Being a fan favorite didn't help Crumpler, why should it be Brooking's saving grace.  

Studs?They have done nothing or very little in the nfl.Crumpler was the 2nd highest paid te in the league right?

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

Studs?They have done nothing or very little in the nfl.Crumpler was the 2nd highest paid te in the league right?

Just like people say Ryan is "the future" and "a stud", why can't the same be said for our three promising young LBs?  Is there a double standard? How much has Matty Ryan accomplished in the NFL?  Nothing or very little?  Crumpler was the second highest paid TE, and made plays. Check out the Top 10 plays for the Falcons on NFL Network. Count the number of times Crump shows up.  Doesn't "Highway 56" have the second highest cap figure for LBs in the league behind Ray Lewis?  Thought so.

It's not just that Brooking's a fan favorite but because he's a LEADER.  He can help the young studs become better and eventually replace him when he steps down and/or loses his starting role.  I don't think it'll be more than another couple of seasons but Brooking is still of good use to us right now.  Live and deal with it...

falconfansince66 (6/20/2008)

It's not just that Brooking's a fan favorite but because he's a LEADER.  He can help the young studs become better and eventually replace him when he steps down and/or loses his starting role.  I don't think it'll be more than another couple of seasons but Brooking is still of good use to us right now.  Live and deal with it...

I can't wait for pre-season.

And where has the great LEADER lead this team? I can't wait until pre-season.

I can't wait for pre-season.

Now that's something we both can agree on...

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
I doubt brooking is in the top 5 highest paid lbs.We only had a handfull of highligts last year.Crumpler is good but the knees are bad.The double standard talk rings of racial witch hunt.

What is so "racial" about comparing the coronation of a rookie QB that has proven nothing in the NFL with the potential of two promising second year LBs and the best MLB in the 2008 draft?  When a person starts asking questions that you have no answer to, you bring up race.  Incredible!!!

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
I doubt brooking is in the top 5 highest paid lbs.We only had a handfull of highligts last year.Crumpler is good but the knees are bad.The double standard talk rings of racial witch hunt.

What is so "racial" about comparing the coronation of a rookie QB that has proven nothing in the NFL with the potential of two promising second year LBs and the best MLB in the 2008 draft?  When a person starts asking questions that you have no answer to, you bring up race.  Incredible!!!

If you had a qb who had been to 3 probowls would you be so fired up to run him off for a 4th round propect?Thats what your doing with keith.

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

If you had a qb who had been to 3 probowls would you be so fired up to run him off for a 4th round propect?Thats what your doing with keith.

Draft order has nothing to do with play on the field.  Don't believe me, go no further than Michael Boley. Refresh my memory. When did Brooking last play in a pro bowl? Shaun Alexander was the NFL MVP 3 years ago too.  What is he doing for a living now?  You need to do better.

When I say play fast I wasn't talking about speed. Look at D. Brooks for the Bucs he plays the game fast but he hasn't gotten any faster. I'm talking about knowing the game so well that you just seem to flow to the play without much of a thought. Dunn was truly done here in Atlanta. He couldn't carry the load any more regardless of what people may imply, and Crumpler really hasn't came back from his injuries and I doubt he will be the same. To be honest he wasn't that great of a run blocker for us and the TEs we have need to block first catch second

When I say play fast I wasn't talking about speed. Look at D. Brooks for the Bucs he plays the game fast but he hasn't gotten any faster. I'm talking about knowing the game so well that you just seem to flow to the play without much of a thought. Dunn was truly done here in Atlanta. He couldn't carry the load any more regardless of what people may imply, and Crumpler really hasn't came back from his injuries and I doubt he will be the same. To be honest he wasn't that great of a run blocker for us and the TEs we have need to block first catch second

Please don't ever compare Keith Brooking to Derrick Brooks.  I agree with you about Warrick Dunn though.  Crumpler was said to be the most complete TE in the league before the injuries, however.

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

Draft order has nothing to do with play on the field.  Don't believe me, go no further than Michael Boley. Refresh my memory. When did Brooking last play in a pro bowl? Shaun Alexander was the NFL MVP 3 years ago too.  What is he doing for a living now?  You need to do better.

Odviously we will not agree on brooking.Bringing up someones draft position isnt a insult as much as it is a qualifier.Your argument could be pointed at anyone and demand no performance or proof.I dont have to sell you on brooking.The falcons are selling you brooking.Do you think boley would have the same impact inside?Why didnt they make him inside last year?How about putting team first and going inside while people bad mouth you for being in less plays because of position change?Yet you still make a lot of plays.

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

Odviously we will not agree on brooking.Bringing up someones draft position isnt a insult as much as it is a qualifier.Your argument could be pointed at anyone and demand no performance or proof.I dont have to sell you on brooking.The falcons are selling you brooking.Do you think boley would have the same impact inside?Why didnt they make him inside last year?How about putting team first and going inside while people bad mouth you for being in less plays because of position change?Yet you still make a lot of plays.

Next time, reply to my comment instead of rambling off on a whole different tangent, i.e. changing the subject. 

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

Next time, reply to my comment instead of rambling off on a whole different tangent, i.e. changing the subject. 

I did,your argument requires no performance or proof.Just that you are a linebacker behind brooking is good enough to pass brooking.What does shaun alexander or the price of beer in germany have to do with brooking?Name a year keith didnt play at a high level.

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

Brooking was after last season the second highest paid linebacker in the league. Now with some of these offseason signings that could have changed, but as it stood 5 months ago he was indeed second only to Ray Lewis.

formul8or (6/20/2008)
bigduke633 (6/20/2008)

Brooking was after last season the second highest paid linebacker in the league. Now with some of these offseason signings that could have changed, but as it stood 5 months ago he was indeed second only to Ray Lewis.

link

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
wikipedia

LINEBACKERS:Ray Lewis, Balt.,$6,928,571;Brian Urlacher, Chi.,$6,157,142; Jamie Sharper, Hou.,$6,125,000;LaVar Arrington, Wash,$5,630,877;Derrick Brooks, T.B,$4,907,083.

second highest salary cap charge behind Ray Lewis. Go look that up. Jamie Sharper and Arrington are not even in the league anymore.  How old are these numbers? 2002?

bigduke633 (6/20/2008)
wikipedia

LINEBACKERS:Ray Lewis, Balt.,$6,928,571;Brian Urlacher, Chi.,$6,157,142; Jamie Sharper, Hou.,$6,125,000;LaVar Arrington, Wash,$5,630,877;Derrick Brooks, T.B,$4,907,083.

second highest salary cap charge behind Ray Lewis. Go look that up. Jamie Sharper and Arrington are not even in the league anymore.  How old are these numbers? 2002?

I found very little after googleing and what not but those numbers are from wikipedia.

http://wiki.answers.com/#####Who_is_the_hi...ayer_in_the_NFL

Better info: 

2007 LB
clear.gif
Player Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value
Lewis, Ray Ravens $ 6,500,000 $ 10,000,000 $ 0 $ 6,500,000 $ 9,428,571
Thomas, Zach Dolphins $ 5,650,000 $ 0 $ 0 $ 5,650,000 $ 7,987,000
Brooking, Keith Falcons $ 4,900,000 $ 2,700,000 $ 850,000 $ 5,650,000 $ 7,942,226
Barnett, Nick Packers $ 5,000,000 $ 5,100,000 $ 1,500,000 $ 11,475,000 $ 7,683,571
Bulluck, Keith Titans $ 4,000,000 $ 9,710,000 $ 2,002,280 $ 5,002,280 $ 7,610,948
Briggs, Lance Bears $ 7,206,000 $ 0 $ 0 $ 7,206,000 $ 7,206,000
Smith, Daryl Jaguars $ 510,000 $ 4,500,000 $ 5,704,320 $ 10,514,320 $ 7,070,987
Colvin, Rosevelt Patriots $ 4,600,000 $ 0 $ 5,160 $ 4,605,160 $ 6,433,160
Peterson, Julian Seahawks $ 2,000,000 $ 11,500,000 $ 2,001,920 $ 4,001,920 $ 6,301,920
Washington, Marcus Redskins $ 4,000,000 $ 3,415,000 $ 0 $ 4,000,000 $ 6,020,416
Urlacher, Brian Bears $ 3,950,000 $ 13,000,000 $ 50,000 $ 4,000,000 $ 5,850,510

leadership on and off the field, right?  how about Brooking standing up the crowd Wednesday at 365 perimeter mall.  autograph signing started 30 minutes late, Brooking was called on his cell phone several times.  He would not answer or return the calls of the manager at the store.  everyone in line got a 25.00 dollar gift card and could return any items bought specifically for Brooking to autograph. leadership at its finest;)   GO BIRDS!